Author Topic: GNRS Grand National Roadster Show 2014  (Read 128279 times)

Offline skywalker18

• New folks
Re: GRNS Grand National Roadster Show 2014
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2013, 09:19:45 PM »
Try not to drip on the keyboard.

:-o Dang it......too late. HAHAHA

Offline TNTHEMIENGINES

• New folks
  • 928-412-4049
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
FYI to all Bonneville 200 MPH Club Members, There is usually a 200 Club meeting at the NHRA Museum on Saturday morning. I am sure DW will come on board with the details.

Land Speed Lady

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2013, 04:02:05 PM »
Rob,

OUCH. That is not right IMO. You guys are the stars of the show, and that no one has offered you any compensation is outrageous. Maybe instead of giving out the first 2000 books for free, they should have charged for them so you long distance guys could at least get some gas money.

Tom G.
Hello Sandee,

I think you misunderstood me, I don't expect the GNRS to pay for this exhibit and I applaud John Buck for donating the hall and thought that was very gracious of him. We will address my concern about helping racers get to the show later.

Tom G.

This definitely was my misunderstanding  ;)  It sounded like you wanted one of the vendors from the Save The Salt booth to help out with travel expenses with proceeds from their book, instead of donating 100% of that money to Save The Salt so that we all could still have a place to race in the future. I apologize for that misunderstanding. It would be like asking Hot Dog On A Stick (another vendor) to pay for people to get there. I realize it sounds absurd when put that way, but that is how I understood it. In any event, I am excited to see the living history on display for us all to enjoy and feel like the exhibitors are proud to be there.

Since you seem to be in the know, how about answering a few questions for me?

1. Is this Century of Speed Book and it organization, a for profit or non profit organization? I did not see anywhere where this is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, and that buying a book would be tax deductible, not to be confused with donating $20 to STS at the GNRS to get one of the first 2000 books.

2. According to it's press releases there are only going to be 2000 books made in the first edition, which will be donated to Save the Salt. What happens if this book goes into multiple  printings, do the profits from that get donated to Save the Salt also, or where would the money go?

3. According to the website "The book can also be ordered online for $49.95 plus shipping after the show." Does  $49.95 get donated to STS, since donors have already paid for the book?

I am not sure how "in the know" I am. I suppose I just take the time to do the legwork and go right to a source and ask questions if I dont know answers.

I am sure you realize that an embossed hardcover book with 300 full color pages isnt going to be profitable selling for $20. Buying a book would not be tax deductible, as they are not a 501(c)3. For your $20, you get a beautiful history book as well as knowing your $20 went straight to the salt and not to lawyers, travel fees, hotels, etc. If you choose not to buy the book, that is certainly your prerogative but negatively coloring the book for others that might enjoy it is disappointing. It's a for profit company that is doing it's best to Save The Salt.

As said above, only 2000 books are printed right now. The sponsors that have paid into the book have covered just the first 2000 printings.
The books that sell for $49.95 plus shipping after the show still have the printing cost overhead to cover.  20% of every book sold for $49.95 goes directly to STS. The writer hasnt been paid, and will not be paid until the first 2000 books sell out and the orders for the $49.95 books start to come in. Everyone involved has been more than charitable with this project to see it come to fruition. I think it's so noble.

I have read your posts and see that you are very against the book, the producer, and things he has done out of the goodness of his heart for the organization. I dont know why you seem bitter about it all, and I dont know that I want to know, but much more can be accomplished if we were to all work together as a team and not try to bring each other down. We are all working for the same cause.

I will be there Thursday through Sunday and cant wait to meet you all :)
 :cheers:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2013, 12:35:27 AM »
Hello Sandee,

Thank you for answering my questions. You are entitled to your opinions, just as anyone else on this forum is. 

Since you are pointing the finger at me for not liking the book, maybe you should look at this thread. It was started before I ever said anything about the book. And I must add that I have never ever read a History book that had ads in the book.
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,13348.0.html

“Only 2000 books are printed right now. The sponsors that have paid into the book have covered just the first 2000 printings.”

According to the information on the website http://www.bonnevillecenturyofspeed.com  if you do the math for all the sponsorships sold (not including all the ads that were sold), you have raised over 4 times the money that will be given to STS by selling the first 2000 books.  Why not raise the price on the book for the show, and make more money for STS, if the book is as nice as you say, why not charge $40 each and make $70,000 for STS, and give $10,000 in gas cards to the owners of the vehicles in the show? 

And yes I do think your organization( I see you donated) owes the racers some kind of compensation, without them there is no Century of Speed show. I don't understand the logic of spending $80 on a book and giving it away for $20, and not give compensation to the people and there vehicles that make up the show. Without the show there would not be many if any book sales, and everyone including STS loses.

Dave the owner of Hot Dog on a Stick gets it. I built a couple of his stores located in different Malls in the area, and he gave me over $100 in tickets for product from his stores for each store I did, for doing a good job. He was not stingy and appreciated what people did for him.

Tom G. 
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2013, 02:57:34 AM »
It looks like we've lost Land Speed Lady. It's really sad when one or more of us get into a pi**ing contest and we lose a valuable resource.

I'm not blaming you Desotoman. We all get a little abrasive at times or get focused on one thing and maybe bear down a little too hard on the subject.  I think I've probably been guilty of that myself. Patience isn't my strongest virtue. I've seen several valuable contributors drop out over the years because of comments made. As racers most of us have developed fairly thick skins, especially if we've done a little innovation, but there are others that haven't developed that tough hide and maybe we all should try to think about that before we get too harsh with our comments.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:25 AM »
May have had previous "off Board" interaction with above mentioned female Person
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2013, 09:18:21 AM »
This forum is nothing compared to some on the web. Some folks just can't stand to hear any opinion but their own.  :roll:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »
I don't have any opinion on the book, but I'm with Tom having deep skepticism when money is donated.

The U.S. Navy Veterans Association took $100,000,000 dollars and spent close to zero on veterans. All of the money went to the crook that promoted it.
He operated under an assumed name and took money for himself. If he had NOT done that, all of the transactions would have been legal. He paid himself a huge salary, along with many others. All legal. There is no set percentage that has to go to the named charity.

My preference is to donate direct dollars, not participate in a fund raiser. The Boy Scouts were having a yard sale fund raiser last weekend. Instead of trying to buy something, I just donated directly to the troop.

If you are going to donate, perform due diligence and make sure it is a 501(C) charity and check http://www.charitynavigator.org/

How much of your hard earned money do you want to pay to . . . nothing.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2013, 12:09:18 PM »
I don't get it.  There will be a book available in Jan. another later in the year.  Buy one or the other or both or neither.  Pretty simple. 

I'm hoping to get one of the $20 ones myself and the other later.  If someone wants to pay for getting the book published out of their pockets and has adds in it and my $20 goes to Save the Salt that is fine with me.  I'll look at the pictures read the book and take from it what I can.  I do this every week with car related magazines that I receive.  At least it is one more book on land speed racing, not a lot of those as I don't get those every week.

Later I'll buy the second book most likely also.

Hope no one leaves the board over this,  like the availability of books on land speed racing there is also a shortage of people involved and we need them all to make this work in the long run,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2013, 12:17:41 PM »
I thought this was about the GNRS. Now there is a interruption to discuss two books that should be a discussion on another forum.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JR529

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
why not charge $40 each and make $70,000 for STS, and give $10,000 in gas cards to the owners of the vehicles in the show? 

And yes I do think your organization( I see you donated) owes the racers some kind of compensation, without them there is no Century of Speed show.

As a racer who donated to the Book and has a vehicle that will be included the show, I would not accept $ from the show organizer beyond the free show passes they are giving us. The entire point of this is a fundraising effort for Save the Salt.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2013, 01:03:10 PM »
Lost in all of this is that it's the Grand National Roadster Show.  Not the Land Racing History Show.  Yes, they will get some additional attendance from the land speed racers -- some of us go there anyway.  Being a benevolent promoter, he's "giving" one of several buildings to the LSR racers. 

{We displayed our then record-holding Street Roadster there a few years ago and paid a fee to exhibit it. (Won't do that again.)  It's my understanding that most exhibitors in the "Roadster" show are charged. And there's lots more categories than just roadsters.  So maybe the Save the Salt/Ron Main/Century of Bonneville/Whatever deal ain't so bad.}
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2013, 03:08:01 PM »
Thanks Stan.... when was the last time somebody remembers a car show paying you to bring your car.... 

If StS gets 40K from this then that is the best deal going for all of us. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline desotoman

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »

It looks like we've lost Land Speed Lady. It's really sad when one or more of us get into a pi**ing contest and we lose a valuable resource.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I agree. For General information Land Speed Lady deleted her account right after her last post. So it had nothing to do with what was said in my last response to her Posted on: December 03, 2013, 09:35:27 PM.
Guest has been up for about 2 days now in her profile, as I was on the site and saw when it happen and was as surprised as anyone.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
That's good Tom.

I've enjoyed your contributions and as I said, I wasn't headhunting.

I still think it's disappointing when we lose someone who could be a valuable resource. It's likely we'll never know what pressures were involved.

Pete