Author Topic: GNRS Grand National Roadster Show 2014  (Read 128270 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: GNRS Grand National Roadster Show 2014
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2014, 08:48:15 AM »
Jon and Nancy chauffeured us around do to Gus and his smart phone guidance system.

What a great show, I noticed that the Land Speed building seemed to draw the largest crowd.  :cheers:

Unfortunately we were not allowed to use the pool at the motel.   :-D

The sign doesn't specify which body cavity that the diarrhea originated from!     The oral type can be quite common . . . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »
Rolling through building 9 it was very clear that diarrhea of the mouth was ubiquitous.  :cheers:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »
The GNRS was awesome and words to describe the show are hard to come by, it's like going to Bonneville the first time after hearing about it for years, you have to live it as when bitten by salt fever it lasts forever. Seeing many old friends and making some new ones was just great. The street rod and custom car people were blown away and the LSR dispaly drew many of their people to Bldg.9. I took probably 200 pictures that I haven't had a chance to down load as yet. All of us on the Vesco team had many visitors that totally loved the Turbinator II. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #198 on: January 29, 2014, 12:50:21 PM »
And Nancy and I want to thank Glen not only for being there to tell so much history and information to so many, but also for taking our extra landracing.com swag (engraved shot glasses) home with him so he can get them to us at SpeedWeek.

I missed one guy and wish he could have been there to see everyone and all of the bikes and cars, but I suppose that flying fro Heilbronn, Germany to LAX and back for a three day show would have been a bit much for our good friend Pork Pie.  PP, you would have been beside yourself upon seeing everything and everyone.  We missed you.

A quick aside here:  We had the trip from Hades (not quite as bad as hell) getting home from LAX.  Three planes were late, they told us we'd miss our flight from O'Hare to home - but we didn't), our luggage didn't get home 'til one day after we did, the gas heater and the wood boiler were out of service when we got home, the key didn't work in the lock at the house (so I had to walk, wearing street shoes) through the thigh-deep snow to get to a door that wasn't locked -- just completely blocked by snow.  All is fixed now and the luggage was delivered to our house by the airline - this morning, a day and a half after we landed.  I think maybe we won't go away during the winter again. :-D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:34:25 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #199 on: January 29, 2014, 12:55:29 PM »
  I am glad I already have my motel room reserved as I am sure many of the awe struck will be making plans including Speed Week.
  It's one of those salt and pepper deals, I welcome their interest, The BNI/SCTA needs their money, we need new blood, but I sure hope they all come in motorhomes.       Bob
Bob Drury

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »

I missed one guy and wish he could have been there to see everyone and all of the bikes and cars, but I suppose that flying fro Heilbron, Germany to LAX and back for a three day show would have been a bit much for our good friend Pork Pie.  PP, you would have been beside yourself upon seeing everything and everyone.  We missed you.

Jon & Nancy,

thank you for this kind words......sure....I wished I had a chance to be there.....seeing all the great racers on the place and hanging around relax...instead of the rush at the salt....

but the time....short after the Christmas vacation....the expenses to get there...especially that I'm planning to be at the salt for the July test meet from the USFRA....I like to see the maiden runs of some great new competitor....all this got me to the decision to stay home...by the way....the long trip only for this three days....I done so crazy things before....life is too short to do not......but I have to keep my focus also on the following events during 2014.....

But thanks to Landracing.com....I could go around and see all the racers....wow.....this was a fantastic show.....and it was wonderful that a lot of us could enjoy this show.

Thanks to all who took care for all this pictures of this show here on this website....great  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:19:53 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2014, 10:27:32 PM »
Good to see you at the show, Ray.  It'd been too long a time.  We saw you -- ready for this, folks? -- we saw Ray taking photographs.  Can you imagine that?

I hope we get to see a few of them soon.  We did enjoy seeing you, though.  And everyone, for that matter.

Thanks, Slim.  'Twas good to see ya both at the show.  And yes, I plead guilty as charged; taking photos (maybe I shoulda paid for 'em first?)

I'll get show photos on my server asap...right now I'm in Beatty, Nv.  I'm also guilty of truancy; I don't wanna go back to the cold weather.  Death Valley has been so nice and warm...but I'm runnin outta clean socks, so I spose I better head in a homeward direction.  Once I get there, I'll have a ton of photos of everything from street rods to streamliners to ghost towns to abandoned gold mines and old volcanic cones/craters.

Oh, yeah.  This kinda slowed me down a bit today.

Offline Freud

« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2014, 11:30:24 PM »
Was that the casin' I loaned you?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2014, 11:26:08 AM »
Ray:

Ghost towns around Death Valley?  Didja happen to visit Ballarat?  If you didn't you have missed something truly memorable - - because it is the home and the burial place of Charles Ferge, better known as the first Seldom Seen Slim.  If you go there you're invited to visit in the "store" and you can even see his portrait and outdoors, his gravesite.

Say hi for us.  We haven't been there in about 10 years.  I imagine Slim is still dead and buried.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2014, 11:47:31 AM »
Ray --

If you're in Beatty, let me be your tour guide . . .

Don't miss the beer bar that's near the main intersection.  Looks kinda like a log cabin or something.  Got really pretty good pizza (for being made in an oven on top of the bar) and lotsa car parts strewn around the walls.  Seems a lot of the factories test in the Valley and leave souvenirs behind.  I was told that they asked what BMW was that one offa, and were told it hadn't came out yet.

And don't miss the photo op at the Angels Flight brothel entrance.  A dual-engine plane crashed, either coming or going, and has been along side the road for years.

Lots to see coming back from SpeedWeek if you take a path less traveled.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »
Nawww...I used that one for a pasta strainer.  The noodles tasted a little funny, but they were well drained.   :-D

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »
Ray:

Ghost towns around Death Valley?  Didja happen to visit Ballarat?  If you didn't you have missed something truly memorable - - because it is the home and the burial place of Charles Ferge, better known as the first Seldom Seen Slim.  If you go there you're invited to visit in the "store" and you can even see his portrait and outdoors, his gravesite.

Say hi for us.  We haven't been there in about 10 years.  I imagine Slim is still dead and buried.

That's 90 miles from here in the wrong direction...but it might be interesting.  I'll see how the tire thing works out and just might end up there.

Btw, I spent quite a while in Rhyolite yesterday.  Kool place...if a little over-touristed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:47:15 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »
Ray --

If you're in Beatty, let me be your tour guide . . .

Don't miss the beer bar that's near the main intersection.  Looks kinda like a log cabin or something.  Got really pretty good pizza (for being made in an oven on top of the bar) and lotsa car parts strewn around the walls.  Seems a lot of the factories test in the Valley and leave souvenirs behind.  I was told that they asked what BMW was that one offa, and were told it hadn't came out yet.

And don't miss the photo op at the Angels Flight brothel entrance.  A dual-engine plane crashed, either coming or going, and has been along side the road for years.

Lots to see coming back from SpeedWeek if you take a path less traveled.

Stan

Sounds like some interesting stuff to check out.  I'll give the beer part a pass, but pizza doesn't sound bad.

Offline deucemac

« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »
Jon and Nancy chauffeured us around do to Gus and his smart phone guidance system.

What a great show, I noticed that the Land Speed building seemed to draw the largest crowd.  :cheers:

Unfortunately we were not allowed to use the pool at the motel.   :-D
Stayed there myself and saw that sign on the pool gate.  Makes one think about other conditions in the hotel

Offline vette#128

« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2014, 10:45:54 PM »
Here's a link to some photos I took at the GNRS show......
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33012131@N00/sets/72157640335389534/

Great show and saw a lot of great people..... Is it August yet??
Ed
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)