Author Topic: GNRS Grand National Roadster Show 2014  (Read 128282 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: GRNS Grand National Roadster Show 2014
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 03:12:20 PM »
My email to Wendy has already been sent.  I understand why she might prefer not having the articles linked, but even so -- maybe she'll let me/us archive them some time after the publishing date.  I asked for whatever I can get - and I'll let you girls and boys know what she says.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »

The show is divided into 3 sections: The Future, The Present and The Past.

FREUD

Since this is suppose to be a Century of Speed, I am hoping the first 80 years have a good showing of Cars and motorcycles. The current cars can be seen anytime IMO, but there are a lot of old cars that are still around that no one ever sees anymore. The future display should be fun to look at for the same reason as the old cars, in that not many have been seen in person. JMO.

Tom G.

PS. Correction the book is a Century of Speed, and the GNRS theme is the Need for Speed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:50:54 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 05:34:31 PM »
We get to go, See Ya there.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline deucemac

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 02:30:09 AM »
We don't miss it and will drive the roadster in on Saturday.  Brought a good friend and salt virgin to the Save the Salt booth and Dan Warner convinced him to go with me to B'ville this year and now he's hooked! Nice to convert another one.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
GRNS Grand National Roadster Show 2014
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 07:55:51 AM »
For most of us it only takes one trip.
People ask me why we do this all the time. I tell them that there is some microbe that lives in the salt and when you visit the salt on specific weeks, they come out of the salt and get into your ears and then make their way straight to your brain. These little microbes have voices and the continually whisper to you"come back, come back, come back to the salt". Just like the X files and there's no escaping these little buggers.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

gkabbt

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »
LOL!  :-D  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 10:42:04 AM »
I am planning to drive down for the weekend. Just so far it looks like Poteet and Main, Treit and Davenport, Rob Freyvogel NACA 6600, and Danny Thompson will have both the Challenger 1 and the Challenger 2 which he is getting read for an assault on the wheel driven record. Any body know if the Vesco Turbinator will be there??? That would really make it complete for the present cars looking for the 500 mph mark.

Rex

Rex, Both of the Vesco streamliners will be there. :-D :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
Hey Dynoroom,

You would think ... it would be impossible for Anyone who has any connection to Bonneville and Lakesters

that they wouldn't know the potential on the new Liner of "Fast Freddie" Dannenfelzer  

Running in the high 300's ... isn't he the fast open wheel car ?

So his liner should be at the top of ANY list of 500 mph possible cars..

Since he did run 387? in believe in his Lakester.

Currently, he is the car to listen too... just like the Markleys, Teague, and the Whites were..

Pure hot rod and the the sound of power

Offline gray63

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »
For most of us it only takes one trip.
People ask me why we do this all the time. I tell them that there is some microbe that lives in the salt and when you visit the salt on specific weeks, they come out of the salt and get into your ears and then make their way straight to your brain. These little microbes have voices and the continually whisper to you"come back, come back, come back to the salt". Just like the X files and there's no escaping these little buggers.
Rob,
You have all kinds of talents. Who knew that you were also a science fiction writer.   Or maybe it's true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave

Offline streamliner

• Gyronaut X-1: World's Fastest Motorcycle
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »
The recently restored Gyronaut X-1 is honored to be there.  2014 marks its 50th anniversary since it was built and would have been Alex Tremulis' 100th year since he was built...

Visit the Gyronaut X-1 Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 11:53:07 PM »
Wow! I can't get over the similarities of the fuselage shapes between the Carbiliner and the Gyronaut X1. Fifty years apart. As God is my witness, I don't ever remember seeing the X1 until our car was 75% done. Well I hope he is looking down from heaven with a smile on his face cheering us on.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 12:04:11 AM »

Currently, he is the car to listen too... just like the Markleys, Teague, and the Whites were..

Pure hot rod and the the sound of power

Yes !!!! I went to the salt first time in 2008  (Speedweek)  strictly on a engineering recon mission for an client of mine. I happened to be in the pit lane closest to the track talking with Keith Turk and I heard this hellacious roar coming down the track. Sent a shiver up my spine and said to myself right there" oh, I got to get me some of that!" That sound may have actually activated those microbes I was speaking of as I have known people that went to to the salt on an off week and never developed that mental illness that we have . LOL!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline streamliner

• Gyronaut X-1: World's Fastest Motorcycle
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »
Wow! I can't get over the similarities of the fuselage shapes between the Carbiliner and the Gyronaut X1. Fifty years apart. As God is my witness, I don't ever remember seeing the X1 until our car was 75% done. Well I hope he is looking down from heaven with a smile on his face cheering us on.

Rob, there's a good reason you recognize the shape!  Here's yet another 1964 version of the Gyronaut:  This one was done for Ab Jenkins (The Spirit of Ab Jenkins) as a four-wheeler for the 24-hour record on the 10 mile circle at Bonneville.  If you take off the front wheels (they had exposed tops to see the tire wear), and remove the side wing (used to counteract the outward forces going around in circles for reduced tire wear), it really looks eerily similar!  Alex chose this shape for the Gyronaut from his 40+ years of streamlining cars and wind tunnel tests, including supersonic aircraft at Wright Field during WWII, Frank Lockhart's Stutz Blackhawk wind tunnel tests from the 1920's, and his pioneering work with wind tunnel testing passenger cars in the 1950's with Ford.  Although the Gyronaut never (yet) made it into a wind tunnel, the Gyronaut's shape was based upon his decades of prior wind tunnel tests whirling around in his head that finally made it out the tip of his airbrush.  You've taken a totally scientific approach and ended up in the same ballpark.  Would he be happy?  You can rest assured that he'd be one of your biggest cheerleaders!!!  He often ended his speeches with "Someday the future may finally catch up to the past".  Well, it looks like the future has not only caught up, but leapfrogged the past... 

We can't wait to see your car in person!  At some point we've got to photograph the two together.  Hope to see you guys at the GNRS!!!

Visit the Gyronaut X-1 Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

Offline Cameradude

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »
We'll be there cameras in hand. Staying in Pomona.  Looking to volunteer in the SCTA or "Save The Salt" booths.  See you all there.
Go fast, be safe, drive it like you stole it. Love life, your friends and the USA.

Offline wjesel

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 10:27:01 PM »
Slim, we're taking the truck.
Wayne