Author Topic: GNRS Grand National Roadster Show 2014  (Read 128337 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: GNRS Grand National Roadster Show 2014
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
Thanks to Nancy (for lots of stuff, yes, I admit it) for finding the cable that I couldn't locate.  Here are a few photos of what's what at the 2014 GNRS Century of Speed Show.

The first land speed record set at Bonneville was by this car -- a Blitzen Benz, driven by Teddy Tetzlaff in 1914.  This is the one that got it done first.

You noticed the exhaust system, right?  Looked kinda big for a four cylinder, right?  Take a look at this engine room:

1,300 cubic INCHES, not centimeters.  INCHES.  The valves were about 4" diameter.  Keep looking at the marvels of the day.

How do you hook up massive power to the rear wheels?  Easy -- big azz chain drive.

And while you're looking at the chain, note the high-end brake cables, actuated by big-azz levers:

And how does the driver know what the motor's doing?  He reads the tach.  I think I got enough so you can see the tachometer goes all the way up to 2,000 rpm.  Can you imagine that?

That's it for now.  Next it's find some electricity to charge this 'puter battery.  I know where that cable is -- just gotta find an outlet that's got something going. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:18 PM »
I's seven Thursday evening.  We've walked around and taken a flock of pictures and howdyed a bunch --  a big bunch -- of people we usually don't see except in August, September, and October.  You oughta be here, that's for sure.

We've been hanging around for the big reception with cake and wine (or was it beer and cheese?) and stuff -- and it looks like it's not going to happen, so we've decided to hit the road, go find some fine cosine (cuisine?) and then go to the motel.  Why the motel?  Get your minds out of the gutter, boys, it's because it's way easier to get all of tonight's photos loaded to this Forum from a room where it's quiet and there's electricity.

Come back in an hour or two -- or we'll see you in the morning.

Here it is - an hour or two later.  I'm going to post these and let you figure out what's what.  Ask if you've got questions, as today was the day of setup.  Tomorrow the owners and drivers and owner/drivers and everyone should be there - and maybe I can get answers for you.  By the way -- the conditions in there are not right for our little camera.  Too little light for shooting without flash, and too far from camera to car to have the flash work.  Sorry -- I'll try some more later.

Before you look at the car -- look at what these folks are doing.  To make the car look not so out-of-place in a building -- they're spread bag after bag of (water softener, but what the heck, it is salt) salt on the tarp under the car.

Jeff's car, and then Jeff and Nancy:

Note the art on the front of the Turbinator.  I took this photo right side up - and the software here has made it crooked.  Turn your screen on the side, please.

And they go on and on.  More tomorrow, folks -- and I'll get the lighting right if I can.  Thanks for looking at these.  You really should be out here, though. . .
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:32:21 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2014, 09:10:26 AM »
Nice pics!  Thanks for sharing and keep them coming!   :cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »
I had an emotional moment at the show yesterday when I got to introduce myself to Gene Winfield (who'd brought the Jade Idol II) and tell hm that he was one of my life-long heroes.  He's 86 and still going strong.  It made my day complete.  Footsore, but complete.   :|

Rock on, Gene!

Offline Freud

« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »
Thanks to Ray you will have great fotos from here. I would think SSS and Nancy will be busy at their table.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2014, 09:48:06 PM »
Ray;

I met Gene Winfield a few years ago at the Art Center College of Design car show in Pasadena. A real pioneer of the hot rod scene! I'm glad to hear that he is still active.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2014, 12:45:54 AM »
Had a great day jawing - no one is racing so they have some time to chat!  :cheers:

Back tomorrow - will post some pix in about a week when I get back home to the deep freeze!  :-(
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »
I am at the airport in SLC,  will be at the show this afternoon and tomorrow .  Looking forward to seeing old friends.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »
I meet Freud at the show and we jawed for a while. Great guy.
I took some pictures of the Target 550 car. As I was doing it I could see the exact same photo in my head from all the years of watching this build. It was great to see the car and all of the guys in person.

Gene Winfield came to a Sidewinders meeting a few years ago with a slide show from Detroit.
While this rapid fire slide show was going on Gene was giving running, non-stop descriptions of every car.
I'm lucky to remember lunch yesterday.

I realized what was wrong with this show. This is the first time I've seen this many cars and they didn't have dirt or salt on them!

You quickly realize that there are few young people at the show. I never saw so many cotton heads.

Ok, i was one of them.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2014, 03:00:45 PM »

You quickly realize that there are few young people at the show. I never saw so many cotton heads.

Ok, i was one of them.

LOL, Dean the little hair I have left falls into that category, I guess that is why there is no Senior Discount at these shows.

I got to the show about 4 PM and made my way around the grounds and got to building 9 around 6:30 PM. I got to talk to the Target 550 team and catch up on what has been going on with the car. I also got to meet Rob with the Carbinite liner, and had a nice chat with him. Not many people in the building when I got there so I missed seeing and talking with many. Good news was that I could take pictures without anyone in the way. LOL.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »
Saturday - and what's going on?  Well, so far most of the folks we've talked to today are regulars -- racers we've seen at the salt and on the site -- and people that lurk on the site but don't post and don't go to Bville.  But we've sure seen lots of 'em.  We're here, if you didn't know, to promote the site - raise the awareness of the public that they can get a bit of the salt flats/land speed racing experience via landracing.com.  And we're encouraging them to donate a bit of $$ to keep things going.  by gum -- it's working, and that's why I'm making this post -- to let everyone know that Nancy and I appreciate the support and interest we're seeing.  Thanks.

By the way, we got a few of the new Century of Speed books that debuted at this show.  We're planning on keeping them to use as gifts or auction prizes or something for later on, so if you don't get one now -- and I just got told by Ron Main that all of the 2000 that were here are gone -- stick around the site and sometime in the next few months you'll have a chance to get one for your very own.

Deep enough for now.  Thanks again for your support.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2014, 01:05:17 AM »
  Lots of great pictures on BangShift.com.   Click on the Century of Speed Exhibit.     
Bob Drury

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2014, 01:35:59 AM »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2014, 03:41:22 AM »

Having a blast at the show!
Dean of LA, please stop by tomorrow to introduce yourself.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline **RP**

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2014, 09:01:59 AM »
Thanks for yesterdays pics Slim!  Wish I was there, it sucks to be here in Michigan.

Bangshift Gallery was a cool link.  I never knew SpeedDemon was a new car, I always though it was a redo of the EcoFire and that was a redo of the FlatFire.  What is the story on that evolution?
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com