Author Topic: If you run a car on the salt or ....  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
If you run a car on the salt or ....
« on: October 29, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
...if you are building one, or a bike, subscribing to the BONNEVILLE RACING NEWS will be one of the best things you ever did.

I'll have to say Bill Hoddinott's racer interviews have given me more knowledge on building and running a car on the salt than any other single source.  Almost every interview has some little gem, often more, that you just can't put a price on and they will save you a lot of money and time as you are learning from other people's experiences and what does and does not work.

We all have a tendency to divulge those little special details that made success possible to a reporter that we just might not in casual conversation.  People like Al Teague, The Burklands, Charles Narburg, Howard Nafzger, Ron Main, Nolan White and others that have built and run cars have provided in depth accounts on how they built their cars with what worked and what didn't.  If you are building a lakester or streamliner the interviews on other types of cars and bikes will also contain information that will apply to you and likewise what you can learn from someone that was successful with a lakester will often prove helpful with your door slammer or roadster.

The older interviews are still available in book form and will save you many times over their cost in building and running your car.  Besides WORLD RECORD STREAMLINERS  also in book form is BLOWN FUEL FORD FLATHEADS FOR BONNEVILLE AND THE DRAGS, ARDUNS BONNEVILLE STARS, ARDUN TECHNICAL and WORLD RECORD MOTORCYCLE STREAMLINERS.

Subscribe now so you don't miss future racing news and interviews and look into the books with the past interviews.

http://www.wendyjeffries.com/BRN.htm

I'm not affiliated in any way but I feel there might be a number of racers out there that just aren't familiar with the great paper that Wendy puts out and what a great resource it is,

Sum

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: If you run a car on the salt or ....
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:42:37 PM »
Couldn't have put it better myself.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »
We've had a link to the BRN on the links page for quite a while, but maybe I could get her even more visitors by moving that to the home page.  I've subscribed for years, of course, and suggest that you folks do, too.  And -- help Wendy out in the usual best way to help someone that depends on advertisements for income:  Buy from the folks that run ads in the BRN.  Notably -- Joe Timney at Delaware Chassis Works is big in each and every issue.  There are many others, but Joe's ads (here and there -- more than just a few in each issue) are good and helpful if you're building.

And if you haven't seen the paper -- there are also want ads where racers can list things for sale -- cars, trailers, bikes, and so on.  Write to Wendy and get a copy -- and while you're writing to ask for a sample -- send a check for a few year's worth of subscription.  As Sumner and Wayno say -- it'll be money well spent.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »
I have every issue of BRN and the history of LSR  and articles are great. Well worth the $24.00 a year.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »
Bill was inducted into the Dry Lakes Racers Hall of Fame at the 2013 Gas Up event.

Wendy and Bill together.

FREUD
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:16:34 PM by Freud »
Since '63