Author Topic: That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire.  (Read 13645 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 12:35:18 PM »
As cool as both pictures are, they don't quite capture the stunning view you get standing next to it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
The car Jack referred to was probably the Stringfellow-Nicholson 280Z comp coupe which set records and gained 200mph club membership for Donnie Stringfellow and Darren Nicholson with turbocharged small block power. This particular car was later deemed by SCTA to be a two seat production car that was not legal for comp coupe. The team then spliced a 280ZX 2+2 roof onto the car making a hybrid configuration that continued to run as a comp coupe. Tom Burkland

I'm not familiar with all of the "Z" cars but have helped 2 younger brothers with theirs and I think they are both early 80's of the same year.  One we put a sbc that I had into and the other is stock.  One is the 2 seater and the other a 4 seater.  I'm almost sure that the door on the 4 seater is also longer so not sure if just using the 2+2 roof on the single seater would really be legal at this point.  Donnie doesn't run his any more but I'm not sure if it went to someone else or not.

James thanks for the posting, brings back memories of talking with Jack,

Sum
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:59:54 PM by Sumner »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
Is the Datsun 510 Comp Coupe still being run on the salt?

That thing looks so intoxicating, I can't stop looking at it.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 02:35:25 PM »
Two answers . . .

Yes, the car has run lately with a blown flathead as noted earlier in this thread.  Don't know how lately lately is, though.

And, if the body is the same length, why would the door seam location be an issue -- glass roadsters are running with flush doors that came overlapped from the factory and just a hint of having a seam at all.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
....And, if the body is the same length, why would the door seam location be an issue -- glass roadsters are running with flush doors that came overlapped from the factory and just a hint of having a seam at all.

I'm not familiar with what is and isn't allowed with a roadster but comp coupe rules say...

...other than a top chop no modification to the body is allowed.

So if the single seater body is not allowed then how could it be allowed with a different top since the body is not the same as the 2 + 2.  I'd think the body used would have to be the 'allowed' one, the 2 + 2,

Sum

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
Is the Datsun 510 Comp Coupe still being run on the salt?

That thing looks so intoxicating, I can't stop looking at it.

Actually I think it was a B210 and not a 510 Steve. The B210 had hints of aerodynamic thinking while the 510 was modelled after a brick and came very close to that shape, sharp edges and all.  :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

Offline sabat

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »
I can't find any pictures of the Dolan / Jeffries Ford EXP / LN7 car on the intertubes, can anyone post one? Thanks, Dean

Offline SteveM

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »
You are very much correct - it's a 210.  Slip of the fingers, and I know better.  The 510's are cool, but in a different sort of way.

STeve.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 03:08:31 PM »
And again,  speaking of Jack, I got this note today from Jackie -- Jack's daughter.

""Jon,
I visited your Web page and forums last night and it was awesome to see all of the feedback about my dad's contributions to your members. When he first retired, he spent HOURS at the computer and I can only imagine what his too-clever mind put out on the internet at 2 AM. I'd like to invite you and your members to visit the Facebook page I set up and leave a note. I think we only have an inkling of how many people he reached with his wit, knowledge, and one-of-a-kind personality. I'd love to show my mom how others will remember him. The page is www.facebook.com/jackdolaninmemoriam

- Jackie
Jack's daughter""
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
Using a little bit of supposition, it looks like Webster set a record in 2007, running XF/BFCC at 184.851 mph.

I'm guessing it was in that Datsun.

Steve.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 05:40:07 PM »
You are very much correct - it's a 210.  Slip of the fingers, and I know better.  The 510's are cool, but in a different sort of way.

STeve.

Our Colonel had what you guys call a 510 but what we know as a Datsun 1600 with a 327, he has stories to tell about that..... :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
"Using a little bit of supposition, it looks like Webster set a record in 2007, running XF/BFCC at 184.851 mph."

. . . and the XF/BGCC record at 161.098.

Both still stand -- at least thru the end of 2012 according to the 2013 Rule Book.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 07:11:25 AM »
Folks, you have only to check my photogallery on Landracing...

http://www.landracing.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=244&pid=12226#top_display_media

by the way, some weeks ago, out web elf Bob add some more picture....have fun
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline SteveM

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »
Thank you very much, Pork Pie.  I spent some time looking for photos of that Datsun, as well as the EXP / LN7 of Jack Dolan on the interwall yesterday, but never saw your pics.   :cheers:  Great photo there.

Finding specific photos is certainly a challenge, with so many photos posted on the internet in general.  Google has a huge database of images, but unless you know the specific tags they are stored under, they can be all but impossible to find.  Images like you have captured and posted the link to are much better quality than most on google. 

Frankly, I didn't know that you had images in your gallery dating back that far.  Now, I know that I need to do some more digging.

Thanks again, Pork Pie.

SteveM.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 08:22:50 AM »
If you don't mind my asking, Pork Pie - did you remember by "dead reckoning" that you had a photo of the #313 Datsun, or do you have the images tagged/indexed in some way?

Steve.