Author Topic: TFA Racing Lakester "tweak" diary  (Read 98000 times)

Offline entropy

Re: TFA Racing Lakester "tweak" diary
« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2014, 05:57:02 AM »
Sumner & KiwiPaul,
I'm sorry i didn't make it clear that i was looking to find a good person/shop to do fabrication for pay.

I sure realized the awesome good fortune i had going into Partnership with Don who has great fab skills.  I 110% miss the ready solutions he'd turn out week after week.

After a lot of cogitation, i have decided to trailer the car to Delaware Chassis Works even though Joe's shop isn't exactly right next door to Houston to say the least.  Our history trumps mileage :-D

kiwipaul,
Could you please give me contact info for your shop.  First rate resources are difficult to find and i'd like to get you on my "yellow pages"

Karl

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2014, 11:38:36 PM »
Karl....Appreciate you thinking of me.....Kiwi Metalfab, Vancouver WA...(360) 607 9634...Email is
    kiwimetalfab@comcast.net. If you want the physical shop address let me know and I`ll PM it to you...

Offline Chaz

• STRANGE DAYS GARAGE Satisfaction considered
    • Bellytank Build
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
Karl,
 If the Strange Days crew can be of any assistance let us know. We  love that car....

Offline entropy

« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2014, 05:07:31 AM »
Karl....Appreciate you thinking of me.....Kiwi Metalfab, Vancouver WA...(360) 607 9634...Email is
    kiwimetalfab@comcast.net. If you want the physical shop address let me know and I`ll PM it to you...

KP,
PM sent :cheers:
karl

Offline entropy

« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2014, 05:17:36 AM »
Karl,
 If the Strange Days crew can be of any assistance let us know. We  love that car....

Chaz,
Thanks much for the offer!  You guys built a stout car which made possible our WOS adventure.
We were pitted next to Rex Svoboda's intimidating (his blower is bigger than our motor!) Saab 631 and he introduced us to Bill York who apparently was closely involved in your early build.  Bill was GREAT to talk to!
Karl

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
Karl....PM returned.....KP...

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »
Karl, are you going to use the same motor Next year?? :?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline entropy

« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2014, 05:46:47 AM »
Karl, are you going to use the same motor Next year?? :?

Fred,
hahahahahahah, i finally saw your question a month late. 
Getting old isn't the reason, i've always been this way!

TFA is keeping the same motor/trans in 2015, I loved it's reliability and i am W-A-Y more interested in getting me 110% comfortable driving it than adding any hp.  All 2015 work will  be aimed at handling (maybe nothing wrong) and improving reliability (already real good).  I am am VERY fortunate that Don got the car to such a good state for 2014, but i'm accutely feeling the vacuum left by him going on to other stuff.  Time for  little lil jaunt to Joe Timney in Dec/Jan with my car & mastercard!

2016 has some interesting motor possibilities, looking at 260 & 305" NA classes.
Karl

Offline entropy

« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2015, 05:43:44 AM »
Happy New Year to all!!!
TFA Update:
My #2 Son Daniel came home for Christmas, collected stuff from our 1st lakester experience at 2014 WOS (iphone pix & vids & in-car-camera), made a lil vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HGqwZAaJe8&feature=youtu.be
Daniel wants to come to SW this year, says he'll gather his own material and make "a professional one".  You are on Daniel!

Our car is now at Delaware Chassis Works for some of Joe Timney's magic. This project and all you people associated with it continue to keep TFA smiling.
Thanks to Chuck Kaparich for building the car and selling it to us, we are having a ball!
Next on the agenda is reservations at Montego Bay :-D
Karl

PS: If anyone has the link to the Strange Days construction slide show, we'd appreciate it

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2015, 11:37:40 AM »
Looks like it was hunting pretty good in the vid, do you have a toe issue or does it have a spool?
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2015, 12:00:46 PM »
I was trying to watch the steering inputs by watching the brightly colored bolt head "down in the car" .  Hand movement/steering input would be good info as your speeds progress  sorta reminds me of the early RATICAL!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline entropy

« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2015, 02:13:12 PM »
KBT,
Both Don & I felt that it was "hunting pretty good", and the hunting/jinking sure spooked me. But neither of us MC guys have a basis for comparison, so the hunting may just be "normal".
The 1st order of biz at Delaware Chassis Works will be to make sure everything is straight and correctly aligned (including toe). BTW: it does have a spool; will that make it hunt?

Sparky,
Man o' man, your eyes are better than mine to be able to see a bolt on the steering shaft/reversing box on the fire wall.  But your point is well taken about being able to see steering input.  This year we'll somehow move the camera back so we can see steering wheel movement and I am mounting a piston on the steering linkage which will capture steering movement for the logging system.

I for darn sure have a lot to learn in this game and we are postponing upping the hp until 2016 to give me a chance to learn how to drive with more confidence in 2015.
Karl
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:28:12 PM by entropy »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2015, 02:17:29 PM »
Cool car! Great video. It looks like you could use a vertical stabilizer. It should take care of that hunt and pucker. Congrats on getting it all together and looks like you guys are pretty close to getting the chassis optimized.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2015, 04:20:44 PM »
 :-D  the operative word was "trying"   lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »
You need to work on the problem at the front & not park a tail on to try & help it.
You first need to know where the toe is & be able to accurately adjust it at the salt to find the best setting for your car.
Having a spool will exaggerate everything & equal tire circumference is very important.
My inital thought looking at the vid was probably too much toe making it wash & the steering possibly too fast creating an over-input situation by the driver.
If it has a R&P, put a steering quickener in the shaft backwards to slow it down. If its a box, do a Pitman arm with multipul holes.
Make up a toe adjustment bar so you can do your own, just like an overgrown vernier caliper so it will fit up against the front & rear of both front wheels & measuer it right on center line. This system will give you an accurate straight ahead position & not off to one side where everything will change.
  Sid.