Author Topic: TFA Racing Lakester "tweak" diary  (Read 98039 times)

Offline entropy

TFA Racing Lakester "tweak" diary
« on: October 28, 2013, 06:18:23 AM »
Houston Partners:
Don is a career pilot with extensive powerplant & airframe experience/knowledge.
Karl has strong back, weak mind, Founder of TFA, retired w/lots of time, i love spreadsheets & roadtrips & short walks to my car.

2012     Karl & Don retired from MC LSR (asphalt & some salt), noobs to cars on salt.

26-Jul-13   Don called Karl and broached the idea of starting up a "Lakester Project".  Karl jumped at the idea :-D

Aug-Sept    Several good candidates, alot of help from KiwiPaul, Stainless, Joe Timney, Sparky, Scott Horner, Sumner, others

23-Sep-13   Stainless sent KDG a link to a V-8 bellytank lakester, beautiful work in 2007/2009, but never run
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3011.0.html

sept, 2023  detailed advice from Tom Burkland, Rex Svoboda, others

27-Sep-13   KDG flew to SLC, a BUNCH of advice from Tom Burkland.

28-sep-13   Karl drove to Missoula (i didn't know they had airports in Montana????), met with Owner Chuck and Rex.  B Lakester is done, motor running, looks great but never thru tech.  Cabin too short for Karl or Don (TFA charter members), but fixable.

30-Sep-13   Don & KDG met for 3.5 hrs, did "plus-delta" of blue CC in Dallas vs Chuck's car, very thorough analysis, Chuck's car won if we can make a deal.  We subsequently made a deal. Chuck is GREAT to work with!

26-Oct-13 car delivered to Pearland, Texas

Don's wife Krys, Don, Karl, Karl's wife Helena celebrating.

Karl's wife Helena is a perfect fit in the cabin!

TFA Charter member Don doesn't fit as well as Helena

Karl's daughter Jessie making motor sounds

Car going into it's new home/rehab facility

Basically we plan to make whatever safety & reliability mods are necessary:
1. To arrive at a state of "no compromise" safety & handling (yes, Tom Burkland has been talking to us  :-D).
2. For Don & I to be comfortable in the cage / cabin
3. Tweak lil stuff to assure adherance to current rules
4. Add data logging
5. Other stuff

Our objective is to have a fully functional, reliable, safe car for Don & Karl to license/run at Speed Week, 2014.
We are not concerned about hp (yet...  :-D)

I gotta say Slim's Site and it's members are 110% AWESOME!  
The outpouring of help as we looked for a car and considered mods has been unbelieveable.  
I love the great MC people, forums, events, but it seems the salt/car guys take this to another level.
Thanks to everybody!
(does anyone know what Tom Burkland's typing speed is?)
Karl

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:05:54 AM by entropy »

Offline tauruck

Re: TFA Racing Lakester "tweak" diary
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:53:15 AM »
That's a really neat project. It looks beautiful. I wish you all a lot of excitement and fun with it. Judging by the size of all drivers concerned it looks like you have real candidates on the female side. :-D
  The forum is great and like you say the people are special. Welcome. Mike.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
The fun begins...
Looks like you have quite a few driver options, and a few safety changes to make.  
Think about adjustable pedal sets...
The car looks good in Texas... is that the right shade of orange?  :evil:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »
I couldn't be happier for you & Don, congrats Karl. I know you will do it right, and go fast. 

I hope to see you at Speed Week next summer, with a modifed version of your old bike. What goes around, comes around.  :cheers:

Dean

Offline osti

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »
I couldn't be happier for you & Don, congrats Karl. I know you will do it right, and go fast. 

I hope to see you at Speed Week next summer, with a modifed version of your old bike. What goes around, comes around.  :cheers:

Dean

+1000!!

Looks great Karl! I know you and Don will be going fast in no time!!

Like Dean I hope to see you at speedweek with ole RBR. It will be a regular family reunion! :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 02:40:40 PM »
Just remember being front wheel drive it will steer a little different.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 03:09:20 PM »
Speaking for myself and I am sure many others on this forum I am so pleased that this very well built lakester has found a good home and will be making big noise at the Salt next year. Looking forward to seeing on the Salt and talking with all of you.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »
I agree with Rex! Glad to see it found a good home.

Offline entropy

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 03:55:45 AM »
Thanks, everybody!

I am very anxious to join Don as he scales the car(hopefully) this week, but wifey & I are driving up to Delaware to get a taste of the Punkin Chunkin Festival with a bunch of my wife's kinfolk.  We'll stop and see Joe & Donna Timney tomorrow afternoon.
Good times, BUT I want to get my hands on the car, yup.

Offline entropy

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 07:52:30 AM »
A lil update:
TFA Racing is making strong progress thank's to Don's fabrication abilities!

The frame has been extended by 22" (16" to cabin and 6" to engine bay).  
New seat/seat mounts and all new harness/anchors.  This is tricky stuff.
Relocated rear axle 13.5" aft, and added longitudinal and vertical adjustment; old axle soon = toast.
Old WB = 110", new WB = 145.5".

Added hand/arm protection bars to the cabin, will add plates inside cabin to protect driver from bare tubing.

The extra 16" allows Don or I (both 6'3") to fit very comfortably in the cabin.
Still need to add interior plates and helmet padding.

Yesterday we added two x 2.0"(viewable) x 0.5" thick Lexan windows in the firewall for fire detection.

Next, Don is taking aim at the skin, both to cover the extended chassis and to give much better motor access.
All new windshield & canopy with associated hinges & latching mechanism is in the works.

We have received a BUNCH of advice from many members of this forum.  
There are a couple of guys who have given us tireless, detailed thoughts & suggestions, but I'm not going to mention Tom Burkland and & Rex Svoboda by name.
Thanks to everyone, this project is coming along nicely.

I am especially proud of Don and "our" fabrication results to date; I only wish I could help him more.
Karl
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:04:39 AM by entropy »

Offline entropy

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 05:31:06 AM »
TFA Racing is making great progress thanks to my partner Don's high level design & fabrication skills and stick-to-it work habit.

The canopy frame, 1/4" Lexan windshield, canopy hinge, supports, locking mechanism, and hat are "90% done, only 90% to go".  The windshield skirt is next on the hit list, along with the hood.  The sleek new canopy/windshield REALLY changes the look of the car, we love it.  THANKS Don!

Current focus is ASAP completion of "all" the required welding on the chassis, because on May 12, I will bring it to the Powdercoating guy for blasting & white pc.

On the logistics side, while Don was fabricating I drove to Pearl Mississippi and brought back our "new" Y2000 30' Pace Shadow GT enclosed trailer.  We will extend the internal ramps to accomodate our 145" wheelbase, check brakes & bearings, etc, but it is in very good shape overall, tows straight as an arrow in heavy sidewinds at the 80mph permitted in East Texas.  The rented powerstroke F350 got better mileage at 65mph...

Another major issue has been getting wheels with 1 5/16" offset (gives zero scrub).  That seems to have been accomplished through the help of Allied Wheels in LA.  Greg Mulkey took interest in our project and suggested aluminum with steel lug inserts.  He recently turned out a beautiful pilot wheel, stout as heck, which measures up just fine.  He is now making 5 more.
Karl

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:17:08 AM by entropy »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 06:52:00 AM »
Awesome. :cheers:

Offline pasodude

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
Looking awesome karl ! Your 2 wheel friend ,jeff! :cheers:

Offline entropy

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 08:53:50 AM »
Looking awesome karl ! Your 2 wheel friend ,jeff! :cheers:
hey Jeff, I hated missing seeing you at Mojave.
Maybe you should make a trip to Bonneville?
Karl