Author Topic: Logistics of running in 2 classes (engine change) at SpeedWeek.  (Read 6718 times)

Offline SteveM

Logistics of running in 2 classes (engine change) at SpeedWeek.
« on: October 28, 2013, 03:09:22 AM »
Suppose for a moment that a guy had a Dodge Rampage with a smallish diesel engine, and was planning to attend SpeedWeek 2014.  Then suppose that this same guy might have a different engine that he would like to bring along, with the intent of running his truck in 2 different classes.

OK - now suppose that the guy is me, and that I'm daydreaming the possibility of doing what I described above.

Can you guys walk me through the logistics of what it would take to run in 2 different classes?  I'm thinking that I could do the engine swap in the biggest part of an afternoon (maybe 4 hours total).

Is it plausible to show up at SpeedWeek on Saturday, maybe run in 1 class Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tues, then get busy wrenching, and run with a different engine on Weds, Thurs, and possibly Fri? 

I realize that I'd have to apply for another vehicle number for the new class, pay an additional fee, and go through tech inspection for the new class.  Is that pretty much the routine? 

As always, any help is appreciated.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Logistics of running in 2 classes (engine change) at SpeedWeek.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 05:06:01 AM »
Steve, I think the idea is quite plausible but I think you'll find that you've got enough on your plate and if you're successful with the first engine you'll have had enough and it will be time for a little recreation. Why not spend some time relaxing and socializing with some of the others. You may find a lot of ideas you can incorporate into your future endeavours and get to meet a few people who can be of assistance to you or visa versa.

Take some time to enjoy the experience of Speedweek. You really don't need the extra pressure. This is coming from someone who has followed just the sort of effort you're contemplating in some other forms of racing. You just don't need to bring that sort of intensity to Bonneville where you can finally relax while you compete.

Pete

Offline salt27

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:04:22 AM »
Steve, You have already outlined the procedure yourself.

The only things I might add would be to get your new number before Speedweek and make your runs as soon as you can incase the

weather or salt deteriorates.

Go for it, Don

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »
Run it as is for your first year, like PJ says you will be busy enough with rookie runs as it is.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
Steve:

I have thought through the same scenario. People are correct when they say, get through your first speedweek. With all due respect, it is not a weekend one mile event. David F. from Hot Rod Mag says, its like racing on the moon. So bring everything, forget one thing and its a day used to go to Salt Lake and back when you could be racing or getting to know other racers. You will be surprised how fast the time will go.

If the engine is an easy swap, then put some thought into making it even easier for example,  plug in harness items, starter circuits and such. If you have the money to invest in quick disconnect fittings for oil lines might save some time. Get a set of spare nuts, bolts, washers and such... when you drop that one-off bolt it will be nice to go to the spares box for a replacement. Anything that is custom or hard to find you might want to bring with you. Remember you might as well be on the moon.

If you want to know how it will go, do a dry run of the engine swap out of your trailer and learn all of your lessons while you are in civilization. Set up your GoPro camera to record the swap. You can review it to learn ways to be more efficient. After all, you didn't build a car, tow it across the country to shade tree mechanic in a place that has not had a tree within 15 miles for the last ten millenniums!

BR

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 11:20:36 AM »
It is doable... actually all it takes is bringing the extra motor along with anything it takes to change it out... for now call it a spare, in case something goes wrong with the other motor.  If you are planning on setting a record and going home with a trophy be aware there may be others in your class that could take your record and trophy by weeks end.  Last record of the week gets the record trophy.  Are you going to be happy with the record you set with your first passes after rookie runs, or the next ones?   
It will be easy if they are both open records and no one else is running... it gets tougher (and more fun) if there is a record established or someone else is also running in your class.
Have fun, be safe, then go fast...
see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 11:58:35 AM »
For a number change, just add a tape 1 before or after your first number -- or tape change a 1 to a 7.  But get the numbers first.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »
For a number change, just add a tape 1 before or after your first number -- or tape change a 1 to a 7.  But get the numbers first.
Waitaminit. Don't you also have to do some paperwork and relinquish some International Beer Coupons (dollars)?  :? Wayno

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 02:57:51 PM »
For sure!  Pay the fee -- and get re-inspected, too.  I just mentioned the number change 'cause it's easier than re-painting your gold leaf ones.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SteveM

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 05:41:47 PM »
Both classes have existing records, and I think there's a good likelihood of having at least 1 competitor (other than myself) present next year.

I think I'll bring the extra engine, just-in-case something happens to the first engine, at least I'll have options.

If everything goes very well with the first engine, and I think I've gotten everything I can out of it, then I'll have decisions to make.

For now- time to start collecting a few more part.

Steve.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »
Steve-
I've considered the same thing for an Elmo/Bonneville trip; past the
mechanical stuff already mentioned, quick connect wiring harnesses,
say 1 or 2 large ones would be most helpful. I thought immediately
if the big aviation style I used to build on the EA-6B. You could connect
everything electrical with a twist...  :evil:
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline SteveM

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 09:21:45 PM »
Right now, I have 2 terminal strips with all color-coded wires, which seems fairly straightforward.  However, a big twist-lock type of plug would be even sweeter.

I'd hate to show up and have some major mechanical problem with the first engine, during the first weekend, and then just be a spectator. 

"I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

Anyway, I already have the other short block with all new bearings, rings, ARP fasteners, etc.  The head is sitting on a shelf, but could stand some freshening up.

Steve.

Offline edinlr

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »
I seem to remember someone who raced a motorcycle streamliner who would run one day and back up the record the next day.  Then they would pull the record motor out for inspection and put a different one in to run in a different class.  Sounds simple, huh.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline SteveM

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »
Sounds like a good scenario. Having to pull the engine for a record inspection is a good thing. Perfect time to put in a new bullet.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
Sounds like a good scenario. Having to pull the engine for a record inspection is a good thing. Perfect time to put in a new bullet.

Never heard of anyone being required to pull an engine for inspection.
Unless you build around it and it can't be measured in the vehicle you don't pull it out of the vehicle.  If you pull it from the vehicle, I would have an official standing by so no one accuses you of a switch.
Like I said earlier, bring it along as a spare and a back up plan.  It will be a lot of work on the salt, bring shade.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O