Author Topic: Seat padding  (Read 12318 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Seat padding
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »
There's two sides to that issue. I bow to Stainless through his hard experience, but when you do make hard impact you want to avoid contacting hard surfaces too.

Is belt stretching designed in? The first impact may or may not be the hardest one when there are several.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 04:00:36 PM »
As a passenger in the 1975 Baja 1000 I had plenty of time to experiment with belt tension . Tight is much better and foam padding is like slack belts .

Offline TIIILSR

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 05:49:57 AM »
I have been shopping for seats myself, new and used.
The LSR is new to me, I have been driving (and a bit of racing) off road for many years and used the beard suspension seats. Looking at Butler and Kirkey. I am starting off slow (130 club at WOS) and go up from there.
I am also thinking the same what stainless stated, but for now I only have a 3 layer fire suite. So a bit more padding might be nice to the backside on a aluminum seat. I was thinking cotton layers would work for padding.

Mike
Mike
Jackpot motorsports

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 08:18:25 AM »
I have been shopping for seats myself, new and used.
The LSR is new to me, I have been driving (and a bit of racing) off road for many years and used the beard suspension seats. Looking at Butler and Kirkey. I am starting off slow (130 club at WOS) and go up from there.
I am also thinking the same what stainless stated, but for now I only have a 3 layer fire suite. So a bit more padding might be nice to the backside on a aluminum seat. I was thinking cotton layers would work for padding.

Mike

Put the padding money into a -20 firesuit now and then you will have the padding and and be able to drive any car at any speed in the future,

Sum

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
If the pressure points on hard flat panels are a problem, it doesn't take much work to contour them a little. Eliminates the pressure points and makes them feel a lot softer.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »
In the 130 and 160 Clubs you can have all the padding you want, you can sit on normal car seats.  LSR is a  different set of rules.  If you are building for LSR on the salt, do not pad your seat... it is not allowed unless it is SFI rated padding.  Now with that said there are cars with poured form fit seats, but I think the poured foam is SFI rated.  Do a search and you will find that discussed in a couple of threads.  Remember you are not in it for very long... a salt run will have you in the car for a total of 20 minutes or less... includes suit up and in 3 cars back.  Most runs last a couple of minutes start to finish. 

Want to be comfortable or safe  :?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
" If you are building for LSR on the salt, do not pad your seat... it is not allowed unless it is SFI rated padding.  Now with that said there are cars with poured form fit seats, but I think the poured foam is SFI rated.  "

Is this one of those the rule book says one thing and the inspectors say "our interpretation is" something else deals?  3.D.1 only says max of 1" padding. Having it fire proof is nice but all the flat or curved SFI padding I have seen, I'd just as soon sit on the metal.  :roll:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »
Jack, just read it...  again... you are right, it says  1 inch pad is allowed... and yes we had a old "naugahyde  pad" the thickness a 2 layers of material that was scrutinized, discussed and allowed.... Pork Pie wanted something to make the aluminum less slick.

Of course most of the team has the benefit of gravity helping keep us in place while being belted in...  :roll:

I stick with the firesuit padding is enough... you don't want to start with an extra inch of belt loosening...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 10:39:07 PM »
The sun can heat up a aluminum seat pretty quick.  A thin pad made from light colored outdoor carpet is what I use.  It does not compress and is a lot cooler if sun is on it.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »
Stainless,

not the slick aluminum let me asked for something...

I'm so small that I was simple too low for the seatbelt...

for safety I wouldn't have a problem to run without and lying directly on the aluminum....the dots you get anyway....

Jack, just read it...  again... you are right, it says  1 inch pad is allowed... and yes we had a old "naugahyde  pad" the thickness a 2 layers of material that was scrutinized, discussed and allowed.... Pork Pie wanted something to make the aluminum less slick.

Of course most of the team has the benefit of gravity helping keep us in place while being belted in...  :roll:

I stick with the firesuit padding is enough... you don't want to start with an extra inch of belt loosening...
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »
I believe the word "interpretation" is being phased out. The rule book is doing it's best to stop different rules for different inspectors. This is great. Under what Glen said if anything is found after inspection you may look at being banned for life let alone possibly causing injury to your self.

Always build to exceed when possible. The SFI padding is available along with Nomex/fireproof cloth....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro