Author Topic: Course safety ?  (Read 32305 times)

gkabbt

Re: Course safety ?
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »
Here's my two cents worth about safety at Wilmington.

There is a small ditch, not far from the return road, that runs from 1/2 track to short shutdown.
At the June meet, Peter Calaguiro came through the lights on a 199 pass.
When he pulled the chute, it raised the rear up enough to cause him to go into a right hand powerslide.
He scrubbed off speed sliding through the grass and the ditch finally stopped him.
Here is the aftermath:

In the above pic, you can see that there were many pits on the track side of the return road.

Joe and Keith worked with the Air Park and for the September meet the pits were changed.
The main pits are now located behind the registration trailer and this holds about 90% of the bikes and cars.
Only "long" trailers are now allowed on the ROAD side of the return road and NOTHING is allowed on the track side except Joe's timing stand.
As for me, this was a REALLY good move by the ECTA and the Air Park!

Hope this helps,
Gregg
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:11:13 AM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »
Also would like to say many thanks to Mr. Midget (Chris) for your input and for changing the title of this thread!

Gregg

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2013, 11:11:54 AM »
Amen -

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline Got-Busa?

• New folks
Re: Lame course safety ?
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2013, 02:18:52 AM »
Rick - your post #64 says it all.  " They need to be looked at and touched between runs, and I believe a cursory inspection while in line for the next run just doesn't do it.  I've been pretty much lurking around here and seeing that making as many runs as possible is the "main objective" of many racers."

Our team is somewhat surprised that racers come out and the first thing they do off the trailer is start wrenching.  Our Team has the agenda of getting to a venue ready to race right off the trailer.   Then after our run, a complete going over takes place. Three sets of eyes going around the bike looking, feely/touchy all nuts & bolts.  Check fluids & tire pressure - then get back in line and wait.  Its really a rather simple routine once into it.  It may take away time from sitting in line, but sometimes you find something that just may make your next pass - faster.   :-D 

Its not how many runs you make - its the quality and learning of each run that counts in my book.  :cheers:

Some of all of this may be the times of today.  Many of the youngins go buy a sport bike and just want to go fast.  I think they have not yet learned the intimacy of building your machine and knowing every single nut & bolt on it.  I would suggest no mater what class the sport guys like, they should disassemble - in stages their machines, put it back together, and really start to get to know it.

Our Team is looking forward to LTA, the Ohio Mile, and absolutely the Salt next year - I have already started wrenching -

Keep it fun !
Jimbo

Jimbo,

I agree with a lot of what you have posted but some of it is negative towards the sportbike crowd and not the case for everyone.

I have also noticed that many racers just come out and want to get as many passes as possible in without always doing it safely.  Many come out unprepared and start making major changes at the track.  I agree with you in that people need to come prepared and ready to race.  Seems Friday (tech day), many are still assembling instead of showing up ready to tech right off the trailer and race!

Another problem is that depending on the event, sometimes there just isn't time.  I agree that you should go over EVERYTHING and run your checklist between every pass.  Unfortunately, I have watched many people just continue to "hot lap" without checking anything.  The quicker they can get back in line, the better...has become the priority and it's not just sportbikes...it's BOTH bikes AND cars...

I started a post on FB asking about possibly a three day event to increase runs (and maybe reduce some of this)...Joe, Keith, etc. have already expressed that they just can't accommodate it at this time which I understand.  Thank you again for everything you guys do so we can race!  :cheers: 

Point is people need to be accountable for their actions and make sure there junk is safe BEFORE getting in line.  Maybe in the future a longer event would be something to help reduce this but it is still NO EXCUSE!  You can always race another day and people need to realize it's not worth making a glory pass when things aren't 100%.  Or maybe things were 100% and they just had a one time incident whichever the case. 

Does that mean we should start requiring a STOP on the return road, walk around check before continuing down the return road for a ticket? 

The other issue with the line I believe has already been talked about and is possibly being addressed. 

Again, thank you Keith, Joe, Donna, Tonya, ECTA staff, etc..  :cheers:

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
Got Busa - Nothing negative intended towards Sport bikes, some of my good friends ride them. Different strokes for different folks - that's all.   :cheers:

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
Got Busa, what is it on a ZX-6 or a ZX-10 that I can't check in line (without holding it up if it moves), that I can check by going to the pits.  I park a pit vehicle in a legal parking place with whatever I may need while in line.  I have made gear changes in line without holding the line up.  I always look over my bikes in between runs.  I make changes after most runs.  I fail to see why I need to go to my pit to do it, if I don't hold up the line.  I've seen cars on jack stands in line or vehicles unattended with a large gap in front of them.  From my perspective there is ample time in the line to look over your vehicle, add fuel or oil, make gear changes or whatever as long as you are prepaired.  Maybe you were never at Maxton on a Suday afternoon.  That was when you could hot lap.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2013, 09:59:39 AM »
I think the main point to keep in mind, is keep it safe.

If you see something, tell the right folks what you saw, sooner not later.

If something is broken on your vehicle, fix it right before you run again.

Safety check your vehicle between runs, that means end to end, top to bottom.

The course workers have their hands full, and are doing their best, racers have an obligation to point out things they see too.

So all the personalities, and offenses aside, if it ain't safe, don't run until it is.

Racing is dangerous enough when things are right, don't add to the danger by being neglectful, that goes for everyone involved.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.