Author Topic: Solo to Sidecar by STD  (Read 132484 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: Solo to Sidecar by STD
« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »
I put a tach on the new build..............but stayed naked on the Tiger Cub.............Its a single and I count fast :roll:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2014, 04:45:38 PM »
When I run out of fingers and toes I can only guess at the RPM.  :-D
Tucker has the will but she's not an old saddle tramp like some of us. Her ear isn't tuned that well and I'm hoping the tach might help her shift in the power band.
Scrambler, I'm anxious to see your new project.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »
Practice for ya Scrambler
http://youtu.be/Uh6mtzR9Yr4
Hint,,,it maxes out @ 12,000 rpm, somewhere, you guess ?
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #243 on: September 03, 2014, 11:28:23 AM »
This year's Bonneville event was mixed. They managed to find an island to run on and when we did ride the track was decent. The problem was that between last minute construction, the weather, and traffic management, my runs were far and few between. Harry showed up with a sidecar that ran straight and true but there were a few mounting issues that took a day and 1/2 to solve. We lost a day to wind and another to wet track. Then when all was good we cooled our heels for 6 hours in line. Cutting the under 125 mph bikes to a 1 mile run-up may have saved minutes but dead track time still wasted hours. While the "Basic" riders sat in line for hours the high speed riders were hot lapping 4 to our 1. Access to the track was not equitable. I would suggest that anytime one line started growing too long that they bleed some off to the shorter lines.

The sidecar rig turned out to roll much better than I anticipated. It was a bit squirrely when empty but felt more solid with the required 132 lbs of weight on board. And even better with a human. I only got in two runs, 89 mph down and 91 mph back. One attempt was thwarted by a fuel pump issue. All the work I did lowering the tank and using a fuel pump only slowed me down. The pump overpowered the needle valve and the bike ran rich. On my passenger run the fuel flow stuttered and I had to turn off. I fell victim to the maxim, "The enemy of good is better." So... back to a high tank and gravity feed.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #244 on: September 03, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
Brian,
It was great to see you and Tucker again and I'm glad you at least go some track time.  You had a plan after last year and followed it to successful completion.  There will always be bugs with new set-ups.

I've heard your complaint from others about the wait time.  I am working with another competitor to address this issue and I will forward you our recommendations for comments.  We realize that the weather and site conditions made for challenging management, but their solution was less than ideal.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #245 on: September 26, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »
Harry's sidecar performed marvelously on the salt but the nose hung lower than I was comfortable with and I couldn't toe the rear brake. I raised the front end and cut off the corner that blocked my foot. That required extra braces abut I think it is stronger and more ride friendly than before. I also had the bolt-on rear end welded on. I usually haul my stuff to Ed in KC but Phil is just down the street and volunteered to do the welding. Roxy, the top dog around here says he laid down some good beads.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #246 on: October 03, 2014, 06:05:33 PM »
I posted this on tech and BMST but I thought it should be on my bike page too. When I pulled the carb off my bike, it had a teaspoon of dry salty looking granules in the empty float bowl. It has a fuel filter but runs a velocity stack. Then I pulled the carb on my wife's bike. It has air and fuel filters and thanks to a petcock that seeps a little, the float bowl stayed full of gas. Amazingly, it too harbored salt crystals. There were even some in the intake. I'm thinking the only access to her bowl was through the gas line. Since the same thing happening in two different bikes with the only thing in common being their source of fuel. I theorize that there was salt in the race gas we purchased from the truck. As the gas evaporated and refilled the bowl, it became concentrated and formed crystals. Has anyone who raced BMST this season had this happen? Any other theories? Photos below...
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #247 on: October 05, 2014, 11:50:12 PM »
Clue: I have drained and inspected both gas tanks, neither show any sign of salt like deposits. So the gas may not be contaminated. It is looking more and more like they are forming when the saline heavy air meets the gas. But I am still astounded by how much formed in both carb float bowls, it's not like there is an air scoop directing air into the float bowl.

Since this year was extra salt slushy the frame picked up more oxidation than I like to see so I took a wire brush and spray cans to it. I have a couple open frame tubes in the rear so I sprayed space filler foam into them in a weak attempt to keep moister and salt out.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #248 on: October 06, 2014, 11:17:14 PM »
Glad to hear you managed a couple of runs.  It was two more than I got.  I'm trying to figure how you got salt in the float bowl.  I've never seen that before.  I've run without a filter on a couple of occasions and never got anything in the bowl.  A tiny bit on the lip of the carb and some rusty valves but never anything in the float bowl.  Last years SpeedWeek was wet and I had salt everywhere.

I had the same problem with the fuel when I had the tank below the carb.  I solved the problem by fitting a return line.  The fuel is pumped up to slightly above the carb.  A tee from the line feeds the carb by gravity (and probably a bit of pressure) and whats not used is returned to the fuel tank.  Its worked for me for years.  The one time I tried running without a return line I had the same problems you had.

I had to dump the sidecar wheel fairing because of the wet salt packing into the fairing.  I also picked up an awful lot of salt in the front fairing as well.  I have to remove the front fairing to tow and after each run there would be around 20 lbs of so in the nose to be scraped out.

Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #249 on: October 07, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »
Nortonist, The freaky thing is that both of our bikes, one filtered and one velocity stacked, had the same salty deposits in the bowl. My out wheel was picking up salt, not nearly as much as yours, but the fender has an open side so I could at least scrape it clean each stop. I appreciate the heads up, I was thinking of enclosing the wheel as you did but now I see there may be an advantage to easy access for cleaning. My bike wheels didn't cake up as much.

I did run a fuel return line off a T-piece so I was surprised to find my needle valve overpowered and the plug reading extra rich. And that happened with the regulator set on the lowest setting of 1/2. Some others have mentioned struggles to dial in their fuel pumps. One suggestion was to increase the "buoyancy lift" of the floats by increasing their displacement so the needle would seat better. I'm at the point of raising the tank back to its original position and relying on gravity. KISS That way I could park the battery, save weight and concern of its charge. 
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #250 on: November 07, 2014, 10:58:39 PM »
Rebuild post race so far. I raised the nose two inches for clearance. Reconfigured to mount (cut a corner off) for brake foot room. Had the two piece frame welded into one and added a handful of gussets at strategic points for strength. Built a fender out of 8 pieces of scrap sheet aluminum and 2 dozen pop-rivets (the making do way). I'm going to add a tapered front to the fender for streamlining. I plan on using handrails for sides to keep the copilot on board. I'm happy with the pre-winter progress, the garage will soon be terra-non-grata due to the cold.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #251 on: November 08, 2014, 02:14:24 AM »
Looks extremely well Bruin.  A job well done!!!  The best of luck next year.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #252 on: January 19, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
The AMA Champions Banquet in Columbus was a well produced event. It was an honor to be in such august company and nice to hang with the other Salt Racers who attended. Kudos to Erin Hunter who was recognized as a Female Racer of the year. The AMA gave out some nice bling, a big chunky medal and number #1 race plate. I want to recognize the many people who helped me. My wife and teammate Tucker who helped fulfill the dream. Harry Townsend who built the sidecar, Ed Bennett who built the frame (and so much more), Bill Andritch who rebuilt the engine, Phil Gordon who did some post race welding, Rita Boyland-White who was a stalwart sponsor, and the Landracing Forum crew for advice, encouragement, and misc parts donations.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #253 on: January 19, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »
You handsome devil :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

With a solid platform..............annual tweaks (racing cam, etc) should be beneficial :-) :-) :-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #254 on: January 19, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »
Love the bike, sidecars are one of my favorite road racers to watch!  We ran a header tank on our cross country bike years ago because of the fuel pump pressure problem. As you have the pump, battery, and switches already, perhaps you could add a small (1 pint or so) header tank as high above the carb as needed and use a carb needle and float shut off to keep from over filling the header tank. Should be easy enough to get a float shut off from an old car carb someplace. The small displacement records require just as much (maybe more so) work and thought to get as the larger ones.  :-D

Matt Guzzetta