Author Topic: Solo to Sidecar by STD  (Read 132905 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Solo to Sidecar by STD
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2013, 01:04:09 AM »
I see what you mean Bruin.  Mikey is right though.  We fight a losing battle.  Mine can swallow large part whole.  Kind of the Bermuda triangle of garages.  I do a clean out now and then but I think the junk sneaks back in at night.  It would be nice to have a huge workshop to fill up with even more junk.  I'll also confess to hoarding junk.  I may not have an immediate use for something but I can see a use maybe at some time so I hang onto it.  That goes back a long ways. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:30:45 AM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »
I hold onto stuff until I forget I have it, then it's like Christmas when I rediscover it. And I'm sure old worn brake shoes will become "hip" again.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline tauruck

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2013, 11:49:53 AM »
I can't even find the stuff I used this morning!. I swear I spend half my day looking for tools.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »
I blame it on elves who sneak into the shop during the night and re-distribute things-- particularly the tools I'll be using the next day. Pesky little buggers!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »
That's why I quit stick welding except on very rare occasions. No matter where I put the chipping hammer down it gets moved before I get a chance to use it again. The never ending search is exhausting!  :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »
Just last night I changed brake pads on Nancy's car, and I swear - I spent more time trying to find the portable shop light than I did changing the pads.  I did finally find it -- still in the race trailer.  Why'd I take it to Bville where the light is so bright?  You're welcome to ignore the question, but still . . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2013, 04:21:25 PM »
Slim,  I can guarantee you had the shop light in your hand before you went to change the brake pads.  When you went to get the pads it sneaked back into the trailer.   A few weeks ago I found my Lucas mag that vanished about five years ago.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »
Everyday I go into my shop and wonder what I was going to do, so my wife says what are you doing and I said nuthing, she said that's what I said yesterday and I said I wasn't finished.She shook her head and left me alone. :roll: :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »
My tools don't go too far, it seems the cheap stuff sticks around. But anything that can roll, spring, or gets launched by a power tool, travels to a different dimension.
Today I lowered the triple tree down the fork tubes changing the 4-1/2" ground clearance to 3-1/3". That changed the trail from 7" to 5-1/2"   It reduced front end flop significantly. I figure that since the sidecar will pull the bike to the side, I ought to have some good geometry up front. (Maximizing what I have anyway.)
I checked the empty weight of the bike and got nearly 150 lbs on both the front and back tires. (Totaling 300 according to an old bathroom scale.)
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »

Today  I figure that since the sidecar will pull the bike to the side,

That's where the sidecar wheel placement comes in.  The farther forward the less pull to the side when accelerating but turning to whatever side the sidecar is on becomes more difficult.  The farther back the more it will pull when accelerating but will be easier to turn on the sidecar side.  That's more for road use.  With LSR it becomes less relevant.

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2013, 10:42:47 PM »
Rig wheel forward for straight line (Do not pass center of gravity), rig wheel toward rear for handling, is what I have picked up from tips and homework. While I have heard people suggest the number of inches forward they have set their wheels,  I have not heard what I think is the more useful number, the percent of wheelbase they set the rig wheel at. (Since our bikes tend to have different wheelbases. One distance I am considering came from sidecar Wally's report of 36" forward on a 109" wheelbase. That is 33%. So on my 75.5 WB, it equates to 25"

Nortonist, scoops are a breeze with aluminum.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2013, 12:06:54 AM »
Nortonist, scoops are a breeze with aluminum.

That's only because your talented.  I can put beautiful dents in aluminum. 

My sidecar has a 108" w.b.  I run the sidecar wheel 10" ahead of the rear wheel.  Works fine for me.  But as I said I don't believe the sidecar wheel position in relation to the rear wheel is too important in straight line racing.

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2013, 01:20:38 AM »
I am amazed that there is so much variety and choice in sidecar wheel placement for LSR. Basically, I want the location that lends itself to straight line running and safe handling. I figure my turns will be wide and slow.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline bak189

« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »
Keep in mind that Nortonist has the engine in the rear.......and he has only 50lbs in the chair...
the specs. are other for front engine AND a passenger...................

Question authority.....always

Offline bak189

« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
75 inch WB.......25 inches lead on the chair wheel....with front engine and a passenger.......I certainly hope you and your passenger have good medical insurance.......but then it appears you have it all sorted out....so have fun while you can......................................................
Question authority.....always