Author Topic: Solo to Sidecar by STD  (Read 132495 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Solo to Sidecar by STD
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »
As I'm sure you know kart tires are not speed rated.  My tire was given a 130 limit by Tom Evans, then head of motorcycle tech with the SCTA and a man of great common sense.  What BUB would say about a kart tire I don't know.  Might be worth checking.  The SCTA requires 10% of the o.a. weight of the outfit to be on the sidecar wheel.   I had 50 lbs on the wheel so I never really worried too much about the footprint/drag relationship.  A kart wheel is so small I think the lack of frontal area more than makes up for its footprint.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline bak189

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »
Sidecar passengers are not called monkeys..........they are called passengers, co-riders.....not monkeys...............Monkeys are the people that call sidecar passengers....Monkeys........................................................................

If you need some info,. regarding setting up a sidecar outfit contact me....been there done that...............
Question authority.....always

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »
Thanks for weighing in bak189, rest assured my use of the term monkey was endearing and not derogatory. My passenger-partner-wife  took it lightheartedly. But a more official term might help with further recruitment. I'm a blind pilgrim in the night when it comes to sidecars. I've done just enough homework to be dangerous. My big challenge is to build on a razor thin budget. Mounting tips and associated hardware are what I'm looking into now.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 06:49:50 PM »
I can understand your "razor thin budget".   Mine spends most of its time on life support.  After Bonneville this year we had a memorial service.  As far as mounting it goes I doubt I can be of any help.  My set up is so much different to what you have.  I usually try to visualize what I want and build it in my head.  If its any help my platform is 1/4" T6061.  The struts are 7/8" heavy wall tubing with 3/8" ball joints.  The nice thing (so far) is the rules for sidecars are fairly free.  So imagine it and build it.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 09:11:11 PM »
BAK189;

The term "monkey" has been a common term for the sidecar passenger for as long as I can remember. It came from the necessary climbing up & over the bike to redistribute weight in motorcycle sidecar racing. It seemed like one needed the agility of a monkey to perform those maneuvers. It is not a derogatory term at all.

Street riders may have never heard the term but it is well-established among racers.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 01:03:54 AM »
In the 80's i had the chance to be the monkey on an EML motocross sidehack powered by a 750 kawasaki  triple two stroke. I was always proud to tell anyone that would listen that i was the monkey.  :cheers:
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »

If you need some info,. regarding setting up a sidecar outfit contact me....

that is a whole lotta info he is offering up.
Bob Bakker can pretty much tell you anything you're going to need to know.
a whole lot of experience there.

he can tell you the shortest way to the top of Pikes Peak,
if that might interest you.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 05:54:26 PM »
If a racing Kart wheel is rated 130 mph,

My kart tire wasn't rated at 130.  It was given a 130 rating by Tom Evans, the then head of motorcycle tech with the SCTA.   Kart tires don't have speed ratings on them.  This is where the current problem with kart tires and the SCTA lies.  I dug out as much info on my tire as I could and presented it to the SCTA.  There followed a long discussion and Tom (a man of great common sense) said i could run but gave me a limit of 130.  As of this moment kart tires are a nono with the SCTA.  As is any non speed rated tire.  I have no idea how BUB feels about kart tires.  It would be best to check with them before you show up to run.

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 07:20:35 PM »
Here is the kart tire I hope to use. I would like to think a racing kart tire, known for running an excess of 130 mph, is any less appropriate than some trailer tire. But asking is the best course.
Also attached are three muffler choices for my wife's 250 Triumph. Straight pipe, open tube, shorty, and tunable cone. It would seem the tunable cone is the obvious choice but as is it chokes the flowed head.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:22:34 PM by Bruin »
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline tauruck

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »
250cc Superkarts run a different tire to the normal kart. Speeds in excess 130 are the norm. I'm not sure about the Maxxis rating but Bridgestone might be able to give you one. I found this for a start http://www.hoosiertire.com/specsk.htm

My info might be dated but check it anyway. Good Luck. Mikey.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 11:52:50 PM »
My kart tire is a Bridgestone YHC.  It was (maybe still is) a spec tire for a 125 shifter class and a 360 lb. class (combined weight of driver and kart).  And like the Hoosier specs, no speed rating.  I downloaded about three pages of info from the Bridgestone site.  Four years ago it was OK.  But they way he SCTA has gone without a speed rating you are dead in the water.  I would download as much info as possible and forward it to the tech committee at BUB and see what happens.  The head of the SCTA motorcycle committee was at SEMA last year and spoke with Wayne Rainey (former MotoGP racer who was paralyzed in a crash and now races superkarts) about my tire.  Rainey got ll the details and said he wouldn't trust it over 95 mph.  This was after the sidecar set a record at Bonneville of 128.703 with a couple of runs over 130 and at the Sept. El Mirage meet ran a record 130.244.  I asked who do you believe?  My records certs or Rainey?  But that is all history with the changes the SCTA made. 

Offline bak189

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 12:22:09 AM »
Read the AMA Supplemental Regulations...2.R.....You call the shots, if you feel safe with that tire, go for it...............For many years I ran a 5 inch wheel on the chair using a Goodyear tire that many years ago was used on the front of top fuel dragsters.....However, in 2008 the tire was showing old age and cracks
and due to the fact Goodyear did not make that size anymore I replaced the chair wheel with a 2 1/2 x 17 again a top fuel front wheel and Goodyear racing front runner tire........very small foot-print with that combination, because we always race our outfit with a passenger we have 1/8 inch toe-in on the chair wheel.....If you run without a passenger and use the 60kg ballast that per AMA regulations has to be mounted in the chair, it is OK to run the wheel straight (less drag)
Question authority.....always

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 12:47:53 AM »
AMA 2R basically says I can use what I deem safe though they recommend a tire rated in excess of your expected speed. If this tire has consistently proved itself at over 130mph, by track racing Karts, and similar tires run as fast doing LSR, I'm feeling good about using it for a 90-100mph attempt. 
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 01:08:52 AM »
I was looking at building a Sidecar and looked into using Kart wheel on the "Chair".

250 International Karts run 6" diameter rims - tyres/tires.

All of the Kart Regulating Bodies ( CIK etc ) that I could find, indicate that these 250 Karts run in excess 0f 240kph/149mph.

So I suppose it might need a Rule submission, maybe.

Pete
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 01:34:53 AM »
Some superkarts run way over 149.  What no one seems to take into consideration is the fact that a kart wheel used as a sidecar wheel for LSR is no subject to the same forces as if it were raced on a track.  It also does not have to carry the same load.  SCTA only requires 10% of the o.a. weight to be on the sidecar wheel.  I carry 60 lbs. on mine.