Author Topic: Solo into Sidecar info needed  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
Solo into Sidecar info needed
« on: October 08, 2013, 12:45:19 AM »
After 6 years of solo riding at BUB Speedtrials I have decided to double up and turn the XR 500 into a bare knuckle sidecar racer. The foundation is a modified laydown bike, rigid rear, 75” wheelbase, rake 5 ¾” to 7 depending on where you set the tubes in the triple tree. I have looked at the rules, scanned the web, and searched the LR files. I have learned a bit but have just as many questions. Since the bike is a dedicated salt speedster, is 0 toe-in and 0 lean-out preferred? I only need to turn on and off the track. I see some like the outrigger wheel more forward at Bonneville for stability. But how far forward, halfway? The rules require a minimum track of 32”, is there any advantage to make it wider? Since I need to kickstart it on the right side is there any issue about putting the hack on the left? To fit the bike on the trailer I think it will need to be a bolt-on rig. The out wheel should be more than 5” but is there a size that is best for speed-handling? I respect those who have gone before and want to learn from your experience. Thanks.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
Re: Solo into Sidecar info needed
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 02:20:12 AM »
Anyone with info can contribute to my build diary under "Solo To Sidecar by STD"
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG

Offline hd55

• New folks
Re: Solo into Sidecar info needed
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:36:49 AM »
I've been running my Panhead for the last 4 years, 6 ,standing records,  SCTA and AMA, If you think I can help let me know. I think I saw your aluminum wheel some place. It looked like it was sprung. A little background. Last year at Speedweek, mile 3, I found myself airborne at about 120 something (hit dirt). The pan went straight up banged straight down. If my sidecar wheel was sprung, it may have added a wobble. Just something to keep in mind. That aluminum wheel you are running will have to be cleared by Matt for the SCTA, engineering evaluation etc.
Good luck
Tom Foley
High Desert Racers
1350 SCVG + SCVF

Offline Hellcat Customs

Re:
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 02:30:45 AM »
Anyone have chassis pics to post? We also run sidecars and are always looking for new idea to improve things