Author Topic: Speedweekend 2014  (Read 81449 times)

Offline Malcolm UK

Re: Speedweekend 2014
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »
As John Ellwood has reported the 'crazy' weather stopped any chance of racing on the ice at Arsunda (which is just south of Sandviken).  [One biker went through the ice close to the shoreline, when it appears he failed to heed the organisers warnings].

Having groomed the ice to give over 3km of racing surface the weekend came and with it warmer air temperatures which caused the ice to crack and then become very fragile. The lake water temperature causing fissures from below.  Some entrants did not arrive in the pits but many cars, some hot rids, bikes and the very insane pulse jet sledges (Look up Mobacken Racing on the internet) were their.  Some of the ice spiked tyres were very impressive! 

The Polish biker, who was to make the wheelie speed attempt, was ready but could not get on to the ice although practice runs had been made ealier in the week at about 307kph.

A long way to go to chat about speed and engineering (and fortunately the Swedes do speak good english), but the organisers will be staging an event in 2015.  And as can happen at Bonneville, the count down to the next event has started and is probably at 350 days and descending.

Malcolm, Derby, England

ps - a very neat green streamliner ice 'sledge' with electric power was entered called the 'Propster' - as it has a propellor to drive it along.   

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »
Sorry to hear it was shut down due to weather, been thru it here a few times. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
Too bad we couldn´t run this year, our new jet sled toasted its bearings due to oil pressure failure five days before the race but we still had a great time.  :-D

http://youtu.be/ohFuyg7Y_48

A summary of the weekend:

http://youtu.be/ohFuyg7Y_48

A few pics taken by my friends with the large pulsjet snowmobile: (I´m the guy with the green cap by the way)

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:17:21 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »
When looking at the photos I see lots of fun and hard work and - experimentation.  Until, that is, I got to the next-to-last photo -- you looking over your shoulder, glowing exhaust on the other side, and your face with a look that is best described as demonic.  Too bad you didn't get the pulse jet rig running right, but -- it looks like you and all of the racers had a fine time, good ice or not.  Just wait -- it'll be 2015 soon. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 12:42:09 AM »
Yup, Speed 2015 here we come!

I aim to have the turbine bike ready by then with ice tyres and run it, the ice on the Årsunda lake is extremely flat (very little altering of the water level during the winter) so I should be able to run it despite the lack of rear suspension.

Offline MX304

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 10:17:06 PM »
As John Ellwood has reported the 'crazy' weather stopped any chance of racing on the ice at Arsunda (which is just south of Sandviken).  [One biker went through the ice close to the shoreline, when it appears he failed to heed the organisers warnings].

Having groomed the ice to give over 3km of racing surface the weekend came and with it warmer air temperatures which caused the ice to crack and then become very fragile. The lake water temperature causing fissures from below.  Some entrants did not arrive in the pits but many cars, some hot rids, bikes and the very insane pulse jet sledges (Look up Mobacken Racing on the internet) were their.  Some of the ice spiked tyres were very impressive! 

The Polish biker, who was to make the wheelie speed attempt, was ready but could not get on to the ice although practice runs had been made ealier in the week at about 307kph.

A long way to go to chat about speed and engineering (and fortunately the Swedes do speak good english), but the organisers will be staging an event in 2015.  And as can happen at Bonneville, the count down to the next event has started and is probably at 350 days and descending.

Malcolm, Derby, England

ps - a very neat green streamliner ice 'sledge' with electric power was entered called the 'Propster' - as it has a propellor to drive it along.   

Is there a website, or Facebook page for the guys that built "Sledge"? I saw a couple of pics and it looked like the driver was using the remote system from a radio controlled car to drive it (while in the vehicle)?!

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 04:04:54 PM »
The Propster.

Official title is an "Electric powered ice yacht" and the machine is owned/built/driven by Jonas Gustafsson.  Nothing on his display board suggests a website. Why not come out to the ice in 2015 to see it run - then the driver controls will become clear.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.