Author Topic: Non-Flamable brake fluid?  (Read 8099 times)

Offline salt27

Re: Non-Flamable brake fluid?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 01:56:14 AM »
Wow, Salty . .  that is interesting! DOT-5 is silicon based and is OEM on a few high end cars. I'm sure there are few Corvettes running around Denver and other high places. In addition it is not hygroscopic and will not absorb water. What is not to like about it?

Could you please expand a little more on the problems you had with it. Thanx.

Saltfever, the DOT-5 made the pedal spongy at altitude.

A little research indicated that this is not uncommon.

I was just trying to save you some trouble, maybe your results will be better than mine.

Has anyone tried DOT-5.1?

Don (not Salty)

Offline Geo

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 07:22:48 AM »
Newer synthetic ester brake fluid DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 have higher boiling points now than they used to years ago. Some DOT 4 and 5.1 have higher boiling points than silicone DOT 5.

All brake fluid systems attract moisture.  Synthetic ester brake fluid is made to absorb the moisture and not allow pooling until the absorption point is reached. Silicone fluid will not absorb moisture so pooling begins immediately with collection in low points.  Water boils at 212 degrees slightly higher under pressure and slightly lower at altitude. All types of brake fluid needs to be flushed every two years to eliminate moisture.

The micro air bubbles in silicone fluid cause the spongy pedal feel and cannot be blead out.

Geo

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 06:16:47 AM »
Thanks Don and Geo. I see that DOT 5.1 has the same or higher boiling temps as DOT-5.