Author Topic: Suggestions on what kind of N/A F engine to build  (Read 28733 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Suggestions on what kind of N/A F engine to build
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
I think those were built by Yamaha.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2013, 09:24:23 PM »
Neil is correct - not unusual.

But I keep coming back to the M60 BMW 3 liter V8.  Yeah, not as cheap as a small block, but -
4 valves, DOHC, compact, huge HP upside potential, modern casting techniques, serviceable short blocks readily available.

And they run smooth as a baby's bottom.

The only real issue I see would be figuring out how to ditch the hydraulic valve actuation and go with a mechanical set-up.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2013, 03:10:56 AM »
One head that was made for a SB Chevy that is sometimes over looked is the Dart Buick heads. The valve center-lines were located almost in the center-line of the bore so with a 2.100-inch intake and 1.625-inch exhaust valves and a 4.000-inch bore, there's still an 1/8-inch bore clearance on each side. So that along with 43 cc chambers stock, which could be milled down, it would be a good candidate for a small inch motor. Tom G.
You are right, Tom and that is a good point. Although, you could not run that head in a Production class which requires the same "type" of ports. Meaning the SBC is  Siamese ports and the Dart is a symmetrical port. However, Frankie was interested in a modified category (RMR) and the head would be legal.

My earlier point was you can get great performance using proven SBC parts for possibly lower cost than developing some of the complete V6 or V8 motors mentioned. I am not downplaying the performance potential of any motor mentioned. Frankie kind of indicated he was taking baby steps and wanted to get into an F motor. What could be more simpler than throwing 4 pistons away and bolting up a Muncie or T-10.

Here is a picture of the current F Classic record holder. That motor has gone 182MPH unblown in a 75 Monza! Notice the exhaust pipes and stock SBC firing order.
 :cheers:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »

.....What could be more simpler than throwing 4 pistons away and bolting up a Muncie or T-10.

Here is a picture of the current F Classic record holder. That motor has gone 182MPH unblown in a 75 Monza! Notice the exhaust pipes and stock SBC firing order.
 :cheers:

Very nice looking motor.  I'd be interested in knowing how they balanced it.  I've read of and talked to people that have used bob weights or rods and pistons with holes in them as you just can't remove the rods and pistons alone.  Vibration even to the point of throwing dampeners and such has still been an issue for the motors I've heard about.  Do you know what has been done with this engine and if vibration has been a problem and the RPM it is turning?

Sum

LittleLiner

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
Not cheap but interesting choice might be the Radical Sports Cars SR8, Hayabusa V8.  It is apparently available in a 2.8 litre size and is reported to produce 455hp N/A.
http://thekneeslider.com/hayabusa-v8-grows-up-28-liter-455bhp/

Another approach might be -  if you go the half-a-v8 route it might be possible to create something DOHC using Subaru parts.   IIRC the bore centerlines of the Subaru flat 4 are almost the same as the SBC.  Although I don't know that as fact but am pretty sure I read it somewhere. 
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,11154.0.html

Offline RichFox

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »
I understood the S&H V4 Chevy I mentioned earlier had all the pistons in. Just removed pushrods. Jack said he thought that the pistons going up under compression would be balanced by the ones going down pushed by the compressed air. I don't know.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
A guy near me put together an F class motor from a 4.8 LS... Sleeved and filled block, tiny
stroke running on methanol... Believe it measures out to right around 3 liters, and revs to
the Dodgin' moon. 500+hp at 9500+rpm  :cheers:
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Flipper_1938

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
A guy near me put together an F class motor from a 4.8 LS... Sleeved and filled block, tiny
stroke running on methanol... Believe it measures out to right around 3 liters, and revs to

That sounds interesting.  What is that motor going into?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »
Hey, major news flash, check Dr G on the aussie tank thread, his consultants say put a small block in it....  :roll:

Just checking to see if you are reading all of them James...

back to your regular speculation...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »

That sounds interesting.  What is that motor going into?

If I told you, I'd have to kill you...  :-D '74 BMW 2002
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Tman

« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2013, 06:16:27 PM »
The Ford Vulcan 3.0 is actually a good motor (think Ranger and Taurus) The heads use the same fancy valvetrain that the 5.0 guys use. There are turbo and blower kits for them. Would need some development but I feel there is hope.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2013, 01:05:47 PM »
Thanks one and all for the input. Looks like at this point its all going to be for naught though. I was hoping that with me no longer helping Sparky on his lakester that my wife would be more supportive of a LSR effort. That isnt the case. Funny she wants to no part of LSR but yet shes never been to an event and really doesnt show any interest in wanting to go to one. So without her support, building my own car wont be happening. Thanks again guys for the input

Offline tauruck

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »
I thought you'd say you were really going to miss her!!! :-D

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2013, 02:45:40 PM »
I thought you'd say you were really going to miss her!!! :-D
g

LMAO!

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2013, 02:51:39 PM »
Mike, despite my wife's lack of interest or support in LSR, she has always been supportive of my drag racing efforts over the years ( and any other endeavors ) While im not giving up hope on someday building and racing a car on the salt, it isnt in the cards currently. Plsu if I sent her packign I sure as hell couldnt afford to race while paying child support  :-)