Author Topic: Suggestions on what kind of N/A F engine to build  (Read 28754 times)

Offline Frankie7799

Re: Suggestions on what kind of N/A F engine to build
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 04:47:12 PM »
Frankie --Don't forget there are minimums at El Mirage (currently closed as our federal representatives are in a snit).

Stan, You are correct, there are minimums at EM. I always use the wrong term when it comes to El Mirage. What I shouldve said is that there currently arent any records set for the F RMR classes at El Mirage. Darn newbies  Thanks for setting me straight  :-)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
Build it soon, :cheers: Pete Ardema  is going to put their crossbreed 3L in the rear engine roadster, its a cross between homemade and Indy. They made their own heads and block and used IRL parts.  I think they set a record with it Speed Week in the lakester, its really a cool looking piece.  But then again any engine that comes out of their shop is fascinating.   Start a build diary. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 04:58:45 PM »
Make some pretty crazy power with the Nissan Rb series, I'm not sure but an RB 30 might make the F class break.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
I saw both the Ardema headed cars in impoud at SW. Those two engines were neat. I focused more on their RMR for obvious reasons. Pretty wild to see a SBC head with a SOHC set up on a Model A block.  Even if I started a build today those guys will have that 3L in the car and ran long before I'd be done.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »
What are you putting it into?  If a lower engine would be of use, the 3 liter Subaru with the individual exhaust ports looks like it could be a smooth running starting point.

Peugeot made a pretty slick 3 liter 24 valve - Ford Cosworth Cologne (rare, but slick).

The world is your oyster on this one - if you can't find a 3 liter engine with power potential, you're simply not looking.

BMW M 60 3 liter V8 . . .

Ooooh - that has potential . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
In South City there is a Japanese auto wrecker. You look in his engine pile and you can find all sorts of twin cam 4 valve 3 liter engines. But if you enjoy a challenge, I have a 170 cid Studebaker OHV 6 cylinder your welcome to.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »
In South City there is a Japanese auto wrecker. You look in his engine pile and you can find all sorts of twin cam 4 valve 3 liter engines. But if you enjoy a challenge, I have a 170 cid Studebaker OHV 6 cylinder your welcome to.

What year is the Stude engine?

There are a lot of potentially good 3 liter motors out there that are good in stock form, but probably none that might set competitive records in stock form, with the exception of some pure race motors that most of us can't afford.  So then one needs to look at the availability of race parts for them and cost and how hard is it going to be to connect them to a transmission/clutch/rearend that will work on the salt and be flexible down the road.  A lot of these are front-wheel drive and most don't really have ideal transmissions for our needs.  Nothing is impossible if you have the money or the machine shop capabilities to pull it off,

Sum

Offline RichFox

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 08:21:08 PM »
The Stude is a '62 or '63. I forget. Comes with the three speed at the same price. I might even deliver to the salt in '14

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »
I was talking multiples, since I did not know what you were putting it in.  Jim's triple 1 liters make a lot of power for the F class. 

Never be afraid of what someone else might get put together,  build whatever you think will go the fastest when you start your build...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline roygoodwin

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
Maybe check out the Nissan VQ series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 10:33:55 PM »
Stainless, yeah I guess I shouldve stated what I was thinking of building first. Im not afraid of what those guys are going to put together, they just have a head start as they already have a REMR together lol

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 10:37:26 PM »
Nissan makes an rb20det, rb25det. 2.5 liter, and rb26det(t) 2.6 liter
All inline 6 cylinder engines and capable of astronimical power comparable to toyota 2jz. The 26 is the most expensive, the others are easily(cheaply) imported and have much more support than gm atlas engines.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
I think there is some sort of hybrid RB you can cobble together by mixing top and bottom ends?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 11:34:27 PM »
One advantage to half a V-8 is the development experience and a lot of the parts will directly apply to a full size one.  You might want to build a big one some day.

Offline JR529

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 12:08:01 AM »
We run the Toyota 2JZ-GTE motor in the 369 Roadster and I love it, but only as a blown engine. The bottom end is as strong as the Brooklyn bridge but the cylinder head leaves so much to be desired. It just is not a package that has much hope as a N/A setup, unless you were going to rely on running massive shots of N2O. The head configuration just does not breath well, no matter how much money you are willing to throw at it.