Author Topic: The Reluctant Rocketman - new book on land speed racing  (Read 18668 times)

velocity

The Reluctant Rocketman - new book on land speed racing
« on: October 01, 2013, 12:20:25 AM »
In an effort to help an astounded daughter turned school teacher turned author get the word out about her new book and assist in the rebuttal to accusations made by others about the veracity of the Blue Flame World Land Speed Record-Setting rocket car, I'm posting links to the book's website and ordering info for interested parties.

As part of full disclosure, I helped author Kasprowicz with the development and design of this book as she hadn't a feather's weight of a clue about land speed racing until she stumbled head-long into it when she discovered her father designed and built the engine that - to date - for the worlds fastest American designed and built car.

The words in the book are her's and her father's. My contribution was to sort out unclear points, edit confusing sections about the sport and help her with fact checking. Blue Flame fabricator Pete and Leah Farnsworth also help shepherd this book forward. I found the back story on Gary Gabelich's rocket ride fascinating.  

Dick Keller, the third leg on this 3-legged speed stool, aka Reaction Dynamics, Inc., has taken issue with some points in the book and posted a few obtuse accusations elsewhere in this forum. After reading his comments I contacted Kasprowicz and Dausman to see if Keller had bothered to discuss any of the points with either of them in advance and discovered he had not. I felt this was disingenious indeed and thought land speed racing enthusiasts should have access to Mr. Dausman's statement that he sent to me. I have not edited one word, it is as he wrote it. It is posted below and can draw your own conclusions.

-- LandSpeed Louise  

https://www.facebook.com/TheReluctantRocketman?ref=stream\

http://www.amazon.com/The-Reluctant-Rocketman-Curious-Breaking/dp/0988199475

Re: Last American team to hold the official ALSR Blue Flame Oct 23 1970 622.407 mph

I would like to respond to Dick’s remarks, here are some facts that need to be pointed out.

1. Dick Keller, Pete Farnsworth, nor anyone else at IIT or the Institute of Gas Technology had absolutely no part in the design, construction or specified testing procedure of the Blue Flame rocket engine. This part of the project was my responsibility. I had the valuable assistance of James McCormick, whom I hired to act as my design consultant. James was a highly regarded rocket engineer during the “Space Race of the 1960’s”.
This arrangement play a part in the mistakes later made by Dick, Pete and IIT project managers in decisions concerning installation of the engine in the Flame and “testing” the engine at Union Grove drag strip after I left the Project. The testing carried out the drag strip was scientifically crude, dangerous and foolish for it may have resulted in people getting killed and maimed had there been a major explosion in the rocket engine.
The reasons for my departure are explained in the book “The Reluctant Rocketman” by Sarah Kasprowicz.

2. There was no way for the thrust of the rocket engine to be static tested at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Any conclusions concerning the power output of the rocket engine at the salt were based on pure speculation.

3. The exhaust velocity of the Blue Flame rocket engine when operating on only hydrogen peroxide was 3200 feet per second. This velocity produced shock waves in the exhaust gases. Because the exhaust gas was colorless, they were not visible. The addition of some hot carbon particles during the injection and combustion of LNG, (no matter how small the amount), would illuminate the shock waves already there and make them visual. Any conclusions concerning the burning efficiency of the LNG in the rocket engine due to visual observation of the shock waves would again be pure speculation without static testing the engine.

4. The LNG flow control orifice was designed to restrict the flow of LNG into the engine’s heat exchanger to a carefully calculated flow rate. This flow rate would insure that the heat exchanger could change the cryogenic super-cold LNG into the super-hot gaseous methane needed for auto-ignition with the 1300 degree oxygen gas released by the hydrogen peroxide decomposition. The second stage auto-ignition of the oxygen and super-hot methane passing through small holes in the heat exchanger, would start a small stable flame front in the combustion chamber that would prevent catastrophic combustion instability when the third stage LNG injection took place producing full thrust of 22000 pounds.

This first stage process had nothing to do with “proportioning” LNG flow for producing thrust.
The orifice was not in place during the so called static test at the drag strip. This allowed an excessive amount of LNG to flow into the heat exchanger resulting in super-hot methane, super-hot oxygen and super-cold LNG to meet in the enclosed spaces of the heat exchanger. The result was an explosion that ruptured the wall of the heat exchanger and precluded any effective use of LNG in future record runs at the salt. I have pictures of the damaged heat exchanger after this event took place. See the book “The Reluctant Rocketman”
Unfortunately, none of the people involved in setting up the engine in the Blue Flame to burn LNG had any knowledge of
the design specifications. This was to be expected, since they were not involved with the design of the engine.

5. Dick forgot to mention that about midpoint during the time at the salt flats he removed the original catalyst pack in the rocket engine and replaced it with a new and improved pack configuration per a suggestion of James McCormick. This fact and the fact that McCormick told them to increase the concentration of the hydrogen peroxide from 90 percent to 98 percent, probably accounts for any 15% increase in performance. His reconfigured “third stage” injectors would not have had any significant increase thrust component.

6. Dick points out that they had to get by with less than 16000 pounds of thrust during the record runs. Since they had no way of knowing what amount of thrust they actually had during any given test run or the record runs and they could not effectively  use the LNG, my best guess is that the 98% hydrogen peroxide and the improved catalyst pack and the fact that the rocket nozzle would produce 11000 pounds of thrust with 90% hydrogen peroxide with the original catalyst pack, the probable actual thrust of the rocket engine for the record runs was about 12650 pounds.
With this thrust and a big push from a guy named Dana Fuller who knew nothing about rockets but had a lot of “common sense” and a big powerful truck, the Blue Flame did manage to set the World Land Speed record just as bad weather closed in and shut down the salt flats.

7. Any knowledge I have about what happened at the salt flats was transferred to me by way of actual verbal conversations I had with Pete and Dick years after the events at Bonneville and prior to the publication of my daughter Sarah book “The Reluctant Rocketman”. If there is anything incorrect about this knowledge, it came from their mouths not mine.
By the way, if anyone has additional questions about the Blue Flame project or my entire life, please feel free to contact me or purchase “The Reluctant Rocketman” by Sarah Kasprowicz.

8. I consider Dick Keller a good guy and a good friend, but I have to remind him of the old well know phrase, “You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear”.
Those of you that are not familiar with phrase may check it out on your web browser.

Ray Dausman

Offline joea

Re: The Reluctant Rocketman - new book on land speed racing
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »
..i had to have the book...i bought it, and very much enjoyed the journey in it...!!!

Joe

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
sounds like there was some bad blood going on?

Offline joea

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »
i got right online and ordered it.....great stuff...!!!!

highly recommend, NRHS I guarantee you will love it...!

what is life without abit of drama...:)...

Offline paso54

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
Just downloaded to my Kindle looks great  :-D

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up...I just ordered it from Amazon. The Blue Flame was the car that first got me interested in LSR, so I can't pass this one up...  :-D
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 06:00:45 PM »
Mine arrived yesterday - first glance - looks good. Next on the gotta read stack!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
Louise,
I found it necessary to respond to only a couple of the numerous errors in “Reluctant Rocketman”, since they relate to our sponsor’s credibility, America’s natural gas industry, in the “Last American team to hold the official ALSR Blue Flame…” in the landracing.com forum. My comments there stand as written.

Now, you have cajoled Ray to add further “facts” to his story. Convenient, since he wasn’t there in 1970.

1.   Ray is correct that when we began the project and divided initial responsibilities, his was the propulsion system. However, Ray abandoned his responsibility at a critical point in the design and construction of The Blue Flame. That left the responsibility for completing the propulsion system in my hands. Since Ray and I had collaborated closely on the design, construction and testing of the initial 25lb thrust and later 2500lb thrust HTP rocket motors, I was equally capable of continuing that portion of The Blue Flame’s HTP/LNG rocket motor. James McCormick was “our” design consultant, ever since our first visit to his office at the BECCO division of FMC Corporation in New York during the 25lb thrust rocket design. With our constraints on time and funds, in-vehicle testing was a reasonable alternative to a test stand off-site. Also, the hazard to personnel was minimal due to the “detuned” state of the rocket.
2.   While there was no static test conducted on the Bonneville Salt Flats, comparing sequential runs (#10 and #12) of The Blue Flame with 90% HTP only and 90% HTP plus LNG allowed comparative performance analysis. See forum above.
3.   Not only were combustion shock waves visibly confirming the HTP/LNG combustion, but the performance boost (scientific testing) validated the visual evidence. Run #8 was the first with the new catalyst pack installed and the reconfigured 3rd stage LNG injectors.
4.   We were working with the rocket engine consultants, Engineering Design Service Company, throughout 1970 following Ray’s earlier departure in 1969. Recognizing we were required by Goodyear to keep our maximum speed below 700mph, they helped our revision to the rocket configuration reducing the design thrust. Their conclusions:
a.   The methane (LNG) flow rate to employ in obtaining 14,700lb thrust will be slightly less than 5% by weight.
b.   The methane (LNG) flow rate to realize 12,400 to 14,700lb thrust can be passed through the starting system (heat exchanger) with no main fuel flow required.
c.   The maximum methane (LNG) flow rate, by weight, recommended in the starting system is 25%.
Corresponding with that recommended reduced LNG flow rate, the LNG tank size was reduced from 75 gallons to 10 gallons. Had Ray been there, he might have known these things. The explosive rupture of the heat exchanger was the result of an oxidizer/fuel valve sequencing error, designed by Ray, which was not discovered until the problem occurred on the Salt Flats. That was corrected in the re-design at Bonneville, eliminating the heat exchanger and using the 3rd stage LNG injectors.
5.   Jim McCormick and I worked out an idea for replacing the partially melted temperature-sensitive pure silver HTP catalyst with a plated nickel material which was thought to be more robust and with a higher melting point. That could allow us to use a higher strength HTP than the 90% maximum with silver. The new catalyst was installed for run #8. We eventually decided to run with 94% HTP (blending 90% with 98%) for run #22 on October 23, 1970. Runs #23 and #24 were the record runs. The earlier noted calibration runs, #10 and #12 (see forum above) were 90% HTP. Ray wasn’t there – he doesn’t know.
6.   We used Dana Fuller’s Ford van to provide initial acceleration, saving 2 seconds’ rocket fuel for the high speed end of the runs, which gave us the edge we needed working with our compromised powerplant, to reach 650 to 660mph maximum in the middle of the mile, then coasting through.

Ray’s parting shot in Chapter 26, “I still consider The Blue Flame to be an abject failure” attests to the negative attitude that Ray expressed throughout his memoir. After the great Bonneville duel in the 1960s between the Arfons brothers and Craig Breedlove driving the world land speed record up to 600.601mph, we were inspired to have a go. Pete Farnsworth and I (with Ray absent) designed, built, and campaigned The Blue Flame in our first attempt to raise the world land speed record to 630.388mph (kilometer). That world land speed record stood for 13 years – and the kilometer record stood for 27 years. Sounds like a resounding success to me.

Louise and Ray, watch my Youtube film ”The Blue Flame – Speedquest” to see what you missed.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline IvanP

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »
Ahh...Yet another book on the subject of the LSR, complete with questionable content. No big deal. This has been going on since 1899.

Offline TRRocketman

• New folks
  • The Reluctant Rocketman
    • GreenBean Creative Solutions
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 11:51:09 AM »
The Blue Flame's absolute world land speed record is the result of a lot of hard working and brilliant people.  The three men behind Reaction Dynamics:  Ray Dausman, Pete Farnsworth and Dick Keller made this happen with their diverse skill sets, expertise and passion for their area of the project.

As author of The Reluctant Rocketman I can assure readers that my father, Ray, is not easily "cajoled" because if that were true the charismatic Gary Gabelich (when he showed up at Ray's house one day in 1970) would have been able to convince him to go to the Salt Flats and fix the rocket when the land speed effort was failing.  Ray wouldn't go because the sponsor wouldn't return ownership of The Blue Flame to Reaction Dynamics. Prior to the world record attempt the sponsor wouldn't properly test the potentially deadly rocket.  The sponsor also scaled back the potential of the car.  Ray was not with Reaction Dynamics in 1970 when The Flame broke the record.  When he left the company the rocket was finished and ready to be tested. The story behind Ray's departure from Reaction Dynamics is in the book and it has nothing to due with abandonment. Seems like the rocket went downhill after Ray left since it wasn't properly tested and it limped along The Salt Flats and did not operate according to Ray's design.  It barely broke the record. The car needed help from Dana Fuller's truck and the Flats were closed for the season (due to weather) the same day the record was set.  I am so glad it did because Pete Farnsworth and crew had worked so incredibly hard to construct the car (perfectly!) according to the engineering designs by Dr. Torda, Dr. Uzgiris and their grad students at IIT.  It would have been tragic for Pete to return to Wisconsin without the record.

Three men have three different memoirs.  The Reluctant Rocketman is Ray Dausman's life and perspective.  Ray wasn't at The Salt Flats in 1970.  His memoir tells you why, what happened and what he believes The Blue Flame could have accomplished. 

I look forward to reading Dick Keller's, since I have heard he is writing one too. 

~Sarah Kasprowicz
The Reluctant Rocketman

https://www.facebook.com/TheReluctantRocketman?ref=stream\

http://www.amazon.com/The-Reluctant-Rocketman-Curious-Breaking/dp/0988199475

Offline joea

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Sarah....fabulous compilation and story shared in the book....THANK YOU...!!!

i personally feel it would be a travesty not to have this story shared....

i hope more will find out for themselves a good chunk of "and you know the rest of the story"....

what i enjoyed as much as the lsr specific "data" was the journey and small details
through the era of the 60's...that was especially fun to read....

the fact that that Gary G. left the attempts on the salt....and traveled across the country to
visit Ray.....about the numerous issues they were having with the rocket, speaks volumes....

the fact that Dr. Torda and Uzgiris involved more than 70 undergrad students , 8 grad students
and one completing an entire grad thesis in the aero design, others working on structure and wheel designs etc

and MANY published works/papers/ (some presented at international conferences)  pertaining to design of Blue Flame cited in the book
speaks to the scope of shared credit for "design".....

Joe

« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:25:04 PM by joea »

Offline sabat

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 02:47:38 PM »
Ordered the book, looking forward to reading it. thanks, Dean

Offline TRRocketman

• New folks
  • The Reluctant Rocketman
    • GreenBean Creative Solutions
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »
Thank you, Joe! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I'm happy that you and other LSR enthusiasts and experts are getting a copy. It's taken many years, so it's wonderful to get feedback now that the book is published.  ~ Sarah Kasprowicz
IMPORTANT ADDITION TO THIS THREAD
Re: Last American team to hold the official ALSR Blue Flame Oct 23 1970 622.407 mph and The Reluctant Rocketman

I would again like to respond to Dick Keller’s new remarks on this forum.

1. I did not abandon my responsibilities during the Blue Flame project. My responsibility was to Reaction Dynamisc, Inc. As Vice President I felt bound to work for the welfare of “our” corporation not Illinois Institute of Technology’s interests. Our agreement with IIT was that Reaction Dynamics was to own the car and rocket engine, not IIT. My responsibility on the project was design, build and test the propulsion system.

Prior to my leaving the project, I delivered the rocket propulsion system to Reaction Dynamics on time and under the budgeted price agreed at the beginning of the project. Please see the attached picture of the Rocket engine and the hydrogen peroxide tank sitting next to the unfinished car. The other components of the propulsion system are out of view in the picture.

Shortly after the system was delivered to our shop, IIT took ownership of the car and propulsion system. See the book “The Reluctant Rocketman" for the details of what caused this to happen. This takeover was agreed to by Dick Keller Secretary/Treasurer and Pete Farnsworth President, the other two owners of Reaction Dynamics.

I did not agree to the takeover.

After this event I no longer had authority to test the rocket engine. It no longer belonged to me. If I wanted to continue as part of the project, I would have to become an employee of IIT.

I refused and left the project but was still an owner of Reaction Dynamics, Inc. In time I left the company and sold my stock. At the time the record was set I was no longer an owner or on the board of directors.

2. Dick’s experience with hydrogen peroxide rockets did not make him equally capable of understanding the Blue Flame rocket engine. He had no part in the BF engine design. It was a different animal.

3.There was no scientific evaluation performance boost at the salt. Seeing shock waves in the exhaust would not confirm in any way that there was a performance boost. The picture of the exhaust presented by Dick showed an orange-colored exhaust, which indicates that the combustion of any methane in the combustion chamber was only marginal and not significant. Good combustion would produce a “Blue Flame”.

3. Dick suggests that the explosive rupture of the heat exchanger was the result of an oxidizer/fuel valve sequencing error in a valve I designed. I designed no such valve for the rocket engine. If it was there, it was put their by others who apparently thought it was needed. Probably the same person who decided that the flow control orifice was not needed to properly start the rocket engine.

4. The new catalyst pack was the design of Jim McCormick. Dick didn’t help design it. The same thing is true with the idea of how to increase the peroxide concentration to provide more thrust. Engineering Design Service Company was a one-man company. Jim McCormick. There was no “they helped us” solve problems at the salt.

By the way, for those of you that still have questions about the flow control orifice, go to your local “big box” store’s kitchen appliance department and pick out a gas range for your kitchen and tell them you want to purchase it. Then tell them to please remove the natural gas flow control orifice in the range before they deliver it to your home. See what they say to that request. Post their answer on the forum. (Dick, you are disqualified from doing this experiment).

Ray D

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 07:56:32 PM »
Sarah,

RE: October 20, 2013
Ray’s recollections of events when he was actually involved with the project are not at all accurate. Therefore, his conjecture as to what occurred when he was no longer involved is even less credible.

The sponsor (American Gas Association) did not scale back the potential of the car. Goodyear owned the tires and firmly demanded we not exceed 700mph in 1970, our first time on the Bonneville Salt Flats. This speed limit would have been lifted in 1971 – but the project was terminated by IGT which owned the car then.

The Blue Flame “limped along” – progressing steadily from 6 runs over 400mph, to 5 runs over 500mph, and finally 6 runs over 600mph. We “barely broke the record” by 30mph? Richard Noble took 13 years to go 3mph faster!

A few comments correcting The Reluctant Rocketman follow.

Page 123 – One weekday afternoon (July 1966) we loaded the X-1 onto our new company truck…
Page 128 – photo caption: Pete and I and our Reaction Dynamics truck.
DK - Your photograph on page 128 is actually the blue rented box trailer we used in 1966. We didn’t have our Chevy flatbed truck until the next year, after Pete’s bodywork was installed on the X-1.

Page 123 – We pulled into the deserted dragstrip in our modified Chevy flatbed truck with the X-1 strapped in the back.
Page 125 – We rolled the car up to the starting line on the dragstrip. I was glad there was no one at the dragstrip except us to witness our earlier ordeal (the fire from the H2O2 spill) with the car.
DK - Attached photos show, again, the blue box trailer we rented in 1966 for transporting the X-1, setting up to static test on the far end of the dragstrip return road on a drag race Sunday. Later that day, I “staged” the car with the throttle to demonstrate the driver control of the rocket, then made two half-tank runs without parachutes The typical Sunday drag race crowd is clearly seen in the east side grandstands at the Union Grove dragstrip.

Page 124 – I turned around and saw that our truck bed was on fire!
DK - Actually happened in 1967, when we had the truck. The truck’s plywood bed was slightly burned when hydrogen peroxide was spilled and ignited the wood, but quickly doused with a few gallons of water.

Page 197 – We needed a sheet metal part that covered the driver… Pete located a guy named Ray Besasie… He was there about a week or two, I would say, working on this a few hours here and a few hours there.
DK - Ray Besasie was a master aluminum body fabricator, a craftsman of the old school. He hand-formed not only the cockpit cover, but also the entire aft body work compound shapes. Even more important, he built the one-piece nose cone to precise specifications developed by the IIT aerodynamics consultants. This huge fabricating contribution by Besasie actually took a couple of months.

Page 218 - …because that was the only type of test Dick or Pete had witnessed in the past
DK - Actually, I had witnessed a number of static tests of the Saturn I and Saturn V Project Apollo rocket boosters at the Marshall Space Flight Center in 1964. This was as an IIT Research Institute contractor to NASA, developing a real-time liquid rocket fuel monitoring system, to detect and prevent non-volatile residue contamination when fuelling the boosters. See my photo with the Saturn I booster.

Page 218 – The Blue Flame rocket needed much more than a telephone pole and amateur observers.
As noted and documented in an earlier post on this topic, we were working with Dr. Uzgiris of IIT and borrowed instrumentation to monitor our two static test events at the Union Grove dragstrip.

Page 221 – According to newspaper coverage of the test… by Friday of that week water vapor (steam) was the only exhaust emitted from the car.
DK - Getting information from the newspaper is not usually the best scientific method to gather data. As noted in the earlier post, photos show more than steam exhaust. There were a number of tests run during our two test series, some without LNG, and others with LNG. Again, we were working to produce a restricted thrust level to comply with Goodyear’s 700 mph maximum speed limit. Jim McCormick of Engineering Design Service worked with us during this period and later, specifying we only use the second phase LNG injectors at the reduced power level.

Page 221 – The third phase was supposed to be the large amount of LNG gushing through the four spray nozzles.
DK - First of all, if you check the photo on page 236, you might note there are actually EIGHT nozzles. Second, on the advice of Jim McCormick, the rocket design consultant, we were to run the rocket without using the third phase in 1970 in order to meet the 700 mph maximum speed limit. You really had to be there.

Page 226 – I believe The Blue Flame would have set a land speed record greater than 800 miles per hour…
DK - Sure, if we had come back in 1971. Speed limit! Here we are 43 years later, and no one has gone 800 miles per hour yet.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Mayoman;

I was in the Ordnance Guided Missile School at Redstone when the Saturn I engine was test-fired in the static test stand-- it was awesome, like an earthquake with sound! ... and that was not at full thrust!  :-o

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ