Author Topic: Dog at Bonneville?  (Read 6955 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Dog at Bonneville?
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:44:36 PM »
Does anybody know what motels in Wendover allow dogs? My wife wants to come with me next year and wont come without the Dog.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Dog at Bonneville?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
Most Motel 6's allow them, but I'd call.  Hard to get a room there most times.  The rest I have no idea. 

I had to take my dog about twice.  Not good, but she was always use to spending the day in the teardrop as she had done it traveling and at car shows so it worked.  I'd take her out away from the pits a couple times and let her do her thing and then pick it up.  I would only let her walk on the salt the absolute minimum to do her thing.  I didn't think it was good for her or any dog out there but did have to do it those couple times,

Sum

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:41:59 PM »
i have never taken any pet to the salt. i am not at all sure your doing your dog any favors by taking it to the salt.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
When I was on the SCTA board we took our dog one time,stayed at the Quality Inn. I wouldn't do it again as it's hard on their feet and hot weather on a long hair dog doesn't go over well. I would say have a family member watch the dog or board it while gone, I know they are like one of you kids, wife and dog stay home now. BTW, they will charge extra if you find a place, try KOA for a cabin.May not be airconditioned.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
Skip has his dog at the 6 every year.  Have not seen it on the salt... Fred, you can get dog shoes to protect their paws.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:01:01 PM »
I've seen a lot of "dog's" at the salt over the years, many of then blew up & left $hit on the course. :-D
  Sid.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 12:59:15 AM »
I've seen a lot of "dog's" at the salt over the years, many of then blew up & left $hit on the course. :-D
  Sid.
ROTFLMAO

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:25 AM »
  Sid.

:-D :-D :-D :lol: :cheers:

Offline GH

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »
Did any of you guys see the dog wearing something on his feet and wearing sunglasses? This was about 6 or 7 years ago.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »
I've seen a good number of dogs wearing at least booties at the salt - maybe one or two wearing some kind of eye protection.  For good input - how 'bout asking Wendy Jeffries (of the Bonneville Racing News)?  She takes Kong, her dog, to the salt all the time, and she's also a dog trainer.  She'd be more likely to know the good ways to make your puppy stay happy out there.  I don't have her email address handy -- so you'll have to look in an issue of the BRN.  I think there's a link to the paper under the "links" tab of this site's home page.  Try that, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
Thanks guys and gals, I have seen the booties, both kind :-D. I am not sure my wife would go for Motel 6, we will see.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 01:31:13 PM »
Fred, taking the dog is one challenge.

Getting a room at Motel 6 is a bigger challenge.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Bonneville Racing News

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »
Better late than never.  I just saw this question. 

King Kong has been to the Salt five times I think.  His opinion is booties - no, sunglasses - not thrilled.  However he LOVES his Chilly Buddy coat.  The silver mesh reflects the sun but lets the air blow in so the cotton mesh lining, which you soak in water every couple hours acts like his personal swamp cooler.  People who slide their hand under the coat are surprised at how cool he is.  I also bring the mesh shade covers (for green houses and dog kennels) to completely cover the vehicle.  The dog is lots more comfortable than I am out in the sun.  He runs around at base camp in the dirt and has never had a problem with feet.  Over the years I have had a variety of dogs on the salt and never noticed a foot problem.

Wendy Jeffries

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
Thanks Wendy!!
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »
If you feel the salt surface at high noon in August, it is fairly cool to the touch. Moisture wicking up to the surface cools it by evaporation. It is not like an asphalt parking lot!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ