Author Topic: Doug Hartelt  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Tman

Doug Hartelt
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:36:19 AM »

Offline desotoman

Re: Doug Hartelt
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
Rest In Peace and Godspeed Doug.

I met Doug many years ago. He had heard that I was looking for a front mount blower drive for a Desoto and he had one. I made the trip down to San Diego and had a great visit with him. I ended up buying a complete front drive blower and manifold from him for the Desoto. At the time he had a Dunebuggy in his garage powered by a Desoto motor.

The thing that tickled me when I was down there was that he took me into the garage and talked to me for quite some time before he would show me the stuff for sale. Then he started pulling drawers out of his bottom cabinets and setting them to the side, got on his hands and knees and started to reach way in and pulled out this 6-71 with a potvin type front cover. Reached in again and pulls out intake manifolds, reached in again and pulled out a Harman and Collins mag he converted to work off a hilborn fuel pump drive for a Desoto. Then proceeds to put the drawers back into the cabinet.

I said I hope your kids or someone knew you had that stuff back there, he smiled and said that is why he decided to sell it to me. He was a great guy and a joy to talk to. He told me that it was his Chrysler motor in Calvin Rice's car that won the very first NHRA Nationals in 1955.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.