Author Topic: Trailer Talk.....  (Read 9135 times)

gkabbt

Re: Trailer Talk.....
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »
Funny how I saw this today here in Wilmington as these guys were leaving and it fits in this thread.
I think this is what Sid and Trent are talking about.

Gregg

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 07:12:04 PM »
Yep, that's it. That one is actually a narrow cab version, the wide is big enough to hide a pickup behind.
  Sid.

Offline Tman

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »
Funny how I saw this today here in Wilmington as these guys were leaving and it fits in this thread.
I think this is what Sid and Trent are talking about.

Gregg

Yup, I am building storage into ours!

gkabbt

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 08:13:57 PM »
I don't understand why these guys with the VW didn't do the storage as well.....Seems to have plenty of room.

Gregg

Offline geh458

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline SteveM

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »
Lots of good stuff on this thread.   :-o

I've been out of town all day, helping a friend with some amateur land surveying and brush clearing.  A good day overall, despite being stung 7 or 8 times by yellow jackets.  My buddy apparently disturbed one of their nests with a brush hog, and they decided to come after me.  Somehow, they managed to get most of their stings into the "love handle" zone directly above my belt line.  OUCH.

I've been daydreaming about trailers for days (OK, years).

There is something nostalgic and "Bonneville Cool" about an open trailer.  I have another friend with a very nice, very heavy duty open trailer.  I may even approach him about "buying in" to that trailer.  I completely understand the anti-theft properties of a plain-jane enclosed trailer, however.

The allure of a nice, 24 foot or so, aluminum trailer like a FeatherLite or similar quality trailer, is unavoidable, but expensive.

That 28 footer for sale with the viewing deck on top, etc. looks super-nice, and also looks like a bargain for the price.

I have a Ram 2500 diesel pickup (crew cab, short bed 4x4).  The truck has plenty of power, plenty of hauling capacity, and a built-in trailer brake controller.  It is not set up for a gooseneck, and I have never towed a gooseneck trailer.  Of course, that doesn't mean that it couldn't be set up for a gooseneck.

The 24 foot Pace Shadow GT that I am currently borrowing (from a different race car friend) is also a nice basis for a trailer, but only has the  3500# axles for a total of 7,000 pounds capacity.  I don't like that fact, and wonder why they would even sell a 24 foot trailer with only 7,000 pound capacity.  The empty trailer has to weight close to 4,000 lbs.

I know about tire problems for sure, and want to get onto a set of E rated name-brand tires for next year. 

The good news is that I have plenty of time between now and then to get something worked out.

Steve.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline gande

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 10:10:04 PM »
If you decide to go for an open trailer look at a tilt trailer. Good news is they are easy to load on, bad news is they are not cheap. Axle specs, heavy duty axles are nice, way too heavy duty axles will beat your stuff to death on the road.

Gary

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »
My brother just picked up an amazing trailer.
It is a PJ trailer with a 20ft deck, the back 16 is a tilt floor.
has 5200lb axles and one brake. The tilt is gravity powered, so there are more upgrades to do like a winch and hydraulic pump retrofit.
It pulls beautifully and can handle more any vehicle on it(less an outfitted welding rig)
Also plenty of tongue room for additional storage.
With your rampage, you could easily fit a golfcart or small side by side or 4 wheeler.
His car is almost 18 ft long, the riviera diesel.
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159900&page=2

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »
There is also a company (google is your friend) making a "drawer slide" sort of arrangement that bolts to the trailer floor...Slides in/out and you strap the car down while it`s outside. Pretty slick. And isn`t there also a co. making trailers with a driver`s side that tilts up like an awning?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »
That Riviera is bad to the bone.  I've seen it on CompD quite a bit, but didn't realize that it had any connection to someone here.

That PJ trailer is cool, too - gives me plenty to think about.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers