Author Topic: Phoenix Diesel Truck  (Read 13578 times)

Offline travis heap

• New folks
Phoenix Diesel Truck
« on: September 27, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »
Here is a small video of the race truck going to its new home. My interview is not the best because I was right in the middle of moving parts and getting the truck ready. When they walked up and said tell me every thing about the race truck in 30 seconds. So I stumbled over every word but I believe he did a nice job with the video. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I02O8nSRyrQ

NO no It's not on fire .... it's a Diesel

Offline salt27

Re: Phoenix Diesel Truck
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 12:40:59 PM »
Travis, Thanks for giving us a look and keeping us up to date.

That thing gives me goose bumps.   :-D

Don

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:49:14 PM »
... and it still brings tears to my eyes seeing that truck and pictures of Bob, Carl and all the wonderful crew people.
  That entire bunch knew how to work hard and have fun................  Bob  :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline George Fields

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »
Travis, you did just fine Carl and RB would have been proud!

Offline Tom Burkland

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:24:31 PM »
Travis,
As expected the usual large crew of green shirts got the Phoenix loaded safely and off to its next calling. Glad to see it going to a place where others can enjoy looking at it and new land speed fans can experience it as well. Your Dad and R.B. would be proud to see this transition.
Isn't Gary, the new owner, also the owner of George & Hazel Nielsen's Dragon land speed truck? If so he has shown lots of good taste in selecting these two to represent land speed diesel truck racing in his museum collection.
Thanks for the memories.
Tom Burkland and the 411 crew

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
Brings tears to my eyes, as far as I know In the begining Cagle and I timed all of their early runs and after Cagle I timed all of the other runs. What an honor to know them and hear their great stories and jokes, everyone was a friend and true racers to the end. Everyone would line up along the pit road fence to see the run and that giant green chute come out and turn off in one mile. God Bless them both and may they RIP. We will always miss them. Travis thanks for the update. :-( :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 04:01:31 PM »
Oh, man, what a bunch of memories.  Thanks, Travis, for letting us see the video and hear you tell us the story.  I was there for the last few years of the Phoenix's runs and remember them all - especially the last two.  Thanks, also, for explaining the "rump...rump...rump" of the engine "idling" at the line or in the pit.  Finally we know why it did that.

The push truck was awesome, the Phoenix itself well beyond awesome.  The times of no smoke when your dad shifted were quite the show to see, like everything else on the truck.  As for the crew - well, I've said it here before that I got a kick out of seeing a flock of green shirted ladies at Smith's grocery store buying what looked like about half the goods in the store -- to feed the crew.  And everyone in the crew smiled.

Thanks for the memories.  Some things I'll never forget - and the Phoenix is one of them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 05:42:22 PM »
Both sad and happy here. Sad that my son will never get to see it run and happy that we will be able to see it in the Museum.

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 07:35:59 PM »
What type fellow was Carl?

I was cleaning up after the first Bonneville NW Renunion and Carl walked up to me.

He said, "How did you come out?"

I told him I had no idea. I felt I was within a hundred dollars either way.

He reached to shake my hand and passed me a hundred dollar bill.

He looked at me, smiled and said...."well this will change it by a hundred."

I loved that guy.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline travis heap

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 02:07:46 PM »
Travis,
As expected the usual large crew of green shirts got the Phoenix loaded safely and off to its next calling. Glad to see it going to a place where others can enjoy looking at it and new land speed fans can experience it as well. Your Dad and R.B. would be proud to see this transition.
Isn't Gary, the new owner, also the owner of George & Hazel Nielsen's Dragon land speed truck? If so he has shown lots of good taste in selecting these two to represent land speed diesel truck racing in his museum collection.
Thanks for the memories.
Tom Burkland and the 411 crew

Yes Gary is now the owner of the Dragon. As far as I know he and George plans on running it next year. Trying for the 200mph record in the Highway Hauler class. I know Gary was also talking of getting George other truck the one that pushed us of the line. That will be impressive having Georges Drag truck lined up behind the Phoenix.   
NO no It's not on fire .... it's a Diesel

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Being pushed off the line was an epic happening.

George did his part....for sure.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 01:11:53 AM »
   ... talk about "flying blind", I hope George had a oxygen mask on............   :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline joea

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
im sure most have already viewed this video, but regardless...(have a tissue ready)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jelwBGCcvSo

Offline Tman

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 05:36:47 PM »
im sure most have already viewed this video, but regardless...(have a tissue ready)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jelwBGCcvSo

Thanks Joe, I had not seen that one!

Offline joea

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »
stories...?...

i recall hearing one that includes a turbo getting hammered by some fod
that included an  piston top (arias ..?) that must have come up out of the salt....?...