Author Topic: Wilmington September Picture Post  (Read 25429 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Wilmington September Picture Post
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
Thanks Rob and Brandon. You guys have done a great job of keeping us all in the loop, even through some pretty pressure packed times. The results of your work are outstanding. I'm really looking forward to your future runs leading to the time when you can let it right out.  :-D :-D :-D  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 05:32:46 PM »
   To the crew of the 496 Carbiliner I want to congratulate you for making your first runs. Seeing the car coming down the coarse and the chute deploy for the first time was priceless. The build quality is just amazing. Just think of the impression this car has left in the minds of the young kids at the event.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »
Me too, Me too and I wasn't there--- but when I watched the video repeatedably  and saw how calm the exhaust trail was  it was evident thes guys were spot on

:cheers:  :cheers:   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

gkabbt

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »
In the second video it looks like the top of the wheel covering is moving around as speed increases.
Is it just me or does anyone else see it? I don't think the camera is playing tricks because I don't see it anywhere else.

Gregg

Offline bbarn

Re: Re: Re: Wilmington September Picture Post
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2013, 07:40:51 PM »
In the second video it looks like the top of the wheel covering is moving around as speed increases.
Is it just me or does anyone else see it? I don't think the camera is playing tricks because I don't see it anywhere else.

Gregg

We've been looking at that closely too Gregg. I think there is some legitimate movement there especially since it is a rigid rear and we really didn't put any loading on the wing. Both passes were made with the flaps in the down position.

When we stopped for fuel last night I had already watched the videos a couple hundred times. I noticed that in the video so I walked back to the fairing and gave it a pretty good shake. It does have some movement to it, but doesn't seem to be the same amount or type as what is in the video.

It looks like the top of the fairing moves disproportionately to the areas around it. It also follows the movement of the horizon closely too whereas the leading edge of the wing does not. Haven't been able to nail down a definitive amount of movement vs. artifacting from cameras anti-shake program yet, but you aren't seeing things either.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

gkabbt

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »
Thanks for the info Brandon. Just didn't know if my old eyes were playing tricks on me!  :-D

Gregg

Offline bbarn

Re: Re: Re: Wilmington September Picture Post
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2013, 07:50:15 PM »
   To the crew of the 496 Carbiliner I want to congratulate you for making your first runs. Seeing the car coming down the coarse and the chute deploy for the first time was priceless. The build quality is just amazing. Just think of the impression this car has left in the minds of the young kids at the event.

Several times while waiting in line I was able to have some fun and single out some kids looking on. I had at least one look away 5 times when he realized I was trying to get his attention. I finally got his dad's attention and asked his boy if he wanted to sit in the car. I am not sure who was more excited, the little kid or his dad!

Our team motto is: To serve. To learn. To inspire.

We want to do everything we can to inspire others to do "something" they dream of, especially the younger crowd. Without them getting out and chasing their dreams and creating something for themselves, it would be a bleak future.

gkabbt

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »
My hat's off to you, Sir!  Wonderful gesture and GREAT team motto!

Gregg

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2013, 08:59:14 PM »
When using the Go Pro camera in my Lakester I find theres some type of video movement/vibration I think this is related to the camera mount. Its possible thats what we are seeing in the videos of the Carbiliner.    :cheers:

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »
Just reviewed the footage in large format and compared the movement of the wheel fairing to the main body panel retaining screws on the opposite side. If the camera was vibing the the screws would have shown movement equal to the wheel fairing. Sadly they do not and fairing movement is indicated. :-o
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline tauruck

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »
I think that movement is called frequency vibration. Whatever the cause I know Rob and Brandon will get it fixed. The Carbiliner and team are pure "class".  :cheers:

Offline bbarn

Re:
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »
There is definite movement there, that is not unexpected. There are three main pieces to the tail of the car: two wheel fairings and one wing. The fairings are bolted to the wings and thier main function is to cover the wheels. Rotational movement or lateral (camber) needs to happen independent of the leading edge of the wing.

This will change as speed increases and the axle is loaded with the prescribed down force. When the loading is applied, the camber will become stablized/fixed, but the fairing will still have the ability to rotate about the axis of the wheel.

We are more interested in making sure the leading edge / angle of attack of the wing is controled and carefully maintained. The wheel fairings need to remain perpendicular to the wing. If they move from perpendicular, they need to do so evenly and controlled. This is an area that we can only monitor through higher speed passes since it is all driven by aerodynamic forces.

Low speed passes will only give us so much data. When we get some loading on the wings, then we'll know more about what is going on there. This is all part of the testing program on our way to our target velocity.