Author Topic: Wilmington September Picture Post  (Read 25524 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Wilmington September Picture Post
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 02:25:43 AM »

I was there in Tech inspection and Turk told Dennis to take baby steps, hence his 102 today. Tomorrow he "should" step it up.

Probably wise - if he really lit the candle and the chute didn't go, it's likely he'd land in my backyard.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

gkabbt

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 07:24:53 AM »

Probably wise - if he really lit the candle and the chute didn't go, it's likely he'd land in my backyard.

:-D  :-D  :-D  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »
Wow, that's great to see Dennis's turbine car finished. I lost track of that car for a few years.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »
Gregg, thanks for the pics. Interesting designs for sure, hope they do well today.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bubruins

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »
Thanks for the pictures! I couldn't make this event and really appreciate you taking the time to shoot and post your images.

gkabbt

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »
Here is my photobucket link of some of today's bike and cars.

Weather today started out partly cloudy and started getting more overcast as the morning wore on. Had a slight drizzle around 2:30 and I left a little after 3:00. Racing was to end at 4:00.

Again today, there were quite a number of bikes over 200 and several cars over 200 as well. Unfortunately, I left my radio at home so I only got speeds second hand. Didn't get any speeds on the Carbiliner, Zanefeld's TIII or the Steam Liner.....Sorry, My Bad!  :oops:   Hopefully Woody has that info and will post. If not, run logs should be on the ECTA website in a few days.

As for the pics I got today, the first three are of the Carbiliner on it's maiden pass on any race course.....D*A*M*N that's a COOL car going down the track! As I said yesterday, A TRUE WORK OF ART!
The others are mostly the staging lanes and start line and a few at the mile.
The last five are videos I took at the start line and they are:
8797 B/FCT NASCAR car, 55 B/STR, 9821 C/GALT of Amy and Frank (Captthundarr) Hartman, 933 S/S Steam Liner and the 238 T/III liner of Dennis Zanefeld.
Gotta warn you.....I ain't no videographer and they are not really that good.  :-D     I was just trying to give the feeling of being here.

All-in-all, REALLY good weekend of racing, seeing old friends and meeting new ones!

As usual, I hope you enjoy the pics and vids!

http://s947.photobucket.com/user/GKABBT/library/Wilmington%2009292013?sort=2&page=1

Gregg
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:44:59 PM by gkabbt »

Offline bbarn

Re: Re: Wilmington September Picture Post
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »
Here is a quick update on the 496 Carbiliner, we'll get some video up as soon as we get back and get it processed.

First things first: Thank you to the ECTA and their efforts, it was a great facility and a well run event!

Second, it was great to meet many people from the board face to face. There were some really great cars and bikes, but people are what make the event great.

So, on to business. It took a while to get through tech, it is a long car with lots to look at. We made it up to 26th in line yesterday before the event closed down for the day.

This morning we go up bright and early and prepared for our first run. The first pass we made was a 140 licensing pass with Rob as the steering wheel actuator. The camera was installed rear facing so we could see the deployment of the chute.

The chute pops out clearly on the video without any issues. It blossomed nicely and slowed the car in time to make the turn off. In the video you can see the chute trailing behind the car on a long tether. I should also mention that there was a little headwind today.

So, as the car arched off the runway, you can see the chute being blown to the right. Due to a limited turning radius, we were trying to use all the available room to make the turnoff, Rob hit the apex of the turn perfectly. Did I mention the wind was blowing? Well, in the video you can see the chute drift gently right and pick a taxi way lite just as easy you would pick a daisy!

Other than the taxi light, no real harm was done.

The second pass today was a 160 pass. We had a much smoother launch operation. We swung the car off the trailer and hit the marks perfectly. Turned the push truck and trailer around for push off and loaded Rob into the car. Everything went well, through the launch.

At the end of the run, Rob pulled both chute levers. The primary chute failed to deploy due to an interference with the latching mechanisms. This would not have happened at high speed, but we will rework the latch and make sure there are no issues. In the grand scheme of things this is a small fix, but an important one.

With the long drive and a rain shower moving in we packed it in. We'll get the video processed as quick as we can and post it on our thread. If anyone has some action shots or video they took from the return road and would like to share, we'd love to see it. Every piece of data we can review is helpful.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline sean

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »
It was a great event! Thanks go to the volunteers and the the ECTA for doing a fantastic job. Met old friends and made some new ones too. Chatted Gregg up few times and a few others, watched amazing machines make runs and ran a personal best too.

gkabbt

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »
Brandon,
Really great meeting/talking with you, Rob and your crew. Like everyone else, I absolutely LOVE the car. It's going to be a MAJOR player when the bugs are worked out.
I was at the mile this afternoon and was going to get a vid of the run. Don't know why but Brian was a "little" slack on the FM this afternoon and did not let us know when you ran so no vid from me.
I can say, it was an incredible sight to see it coming down the track. I am glad that I was here to witness it's maiden runs. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU GUYS IN THE FUTURE and I'll be one of your biggest supporters!

Gregg

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 06:41:56 PM »
Rob and crew, you did good and learned some things about the car and some fixes to make. Glad it handled well. Looking forward to the salt and will still try to save you a pit by ours. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 08:26:58 PM »
bbarn, Rob and crew, congrats on a successful first time out   :cheers:

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Freud

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
Rob you have just conducted the test runs and data collection that is ahead for the Target 550 liner.

You beat us to the punch. We are hoping that the Shoot Out happens so we too can run our first tests.

CONGRATULATIONS. You have treated us to a marvelous build diary.  Here comes the racing.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »
Not as many photos this time since I was crewing on two cars - 240Z and a new liner. But some videos to offset:

https://plus.google.com/photos/111053800401265205999/albums/5929422862724186321?authkey=CKisqrvQrp6orgE

The 240Z made it's last pass just as it rained but they started again and ran until 4:00. 500+ runs for the weekend!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Freud

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »
Woody, THANKS for the views.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline bbarn

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 01:45:28 PM »
Here are the links to the videos that we took from on the Carbiliner this weekend.

The first video is pass #1 at 141 MPH out the rear to monitor the chute performance. We've watched this video 100 times, there is a wealth of information about what is happening with the car aside from the chute data we were looking for.

http://youtu.be/M7YdpE_DiKo

Pass number two with the camera mounted on the left side wing looking forward. The location of the camera was almost directly above the axle. The microphone clearly picked up the interaction of the gears within the rear-end!

http://youtu.be/034kKaQXo-0
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.