Author Topic: Fire retardent underware  (Read 2808 times)

Offline jimmy six

Fire retardent underware
« on: September 25, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
I recently saw a TV informational show (national geographic) concerning "Wickers Fire Retardent Clothing". I know none of this is SFI but the folks are sending this to their sons and daughters fighting for our country because the military doesn't. It is also used by firefighters and the deminstrations were eye opening.

I have always had the highest grade available for my driving suit but never have used anything but cotton which is OK for under garments but these products look to be very affordable and adds to our safety. http://www.wickers.com/ ........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tman

Re: Fire retardent underware
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 07:06:44 PM »
Back in the 80s when the Brits were fighting in the fauklands lots of the injuries/burns came from polypro underwear when missles hit the ships. The guys were fine but the heat fused the clothes to their skin!

Sort of unrelated.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:14:48 PM »
I have Nomex underwear that my favorite Uncle gave me to keep me warm on long cold flights... but I have not worn it in August.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 08:12:51 PM »
When our car was normally aspirated on gasoline I made my sons use a 3-2/20 suit and boots. We didn't need that much per the rules but I knew the day would come when we would run the blown class. This year was the year for that so now I make them wear Nomex too, again more than is required by the rule book but if you're on fire at 250+ mph it might take a bit to get stopped.
I didn't see any pricing on the Wickers stuff JD. FYI Nomex tops & bottoms sell for about $50 ea. so it might be worth looking at in a lower class.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
I have Nomex underwear that my favorite Uncle gave me to keep me warm on long cold flights... but I have not worn it in August.
August is a problem with the underwear, but I use a cool shirt (lifesaver that thing) which is nomex and I think SFI rated (can't swear to that without go drag it out and look). Truly can't imagine going without now. For those without a car mounted tank, you can get a portable chest/pump and just have it plugged in until the door net goes up at the line. Perfect for the track holds with you first or second in line.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019