Author Topic: Dodge Dakota C/BMMP  (Read 109357 times)

Offline 1leg

Re: Dodge Dakota C/BMMP
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2015, 01:47:35 PM »
This is what I posted in another thread. I believe that you will need to keep most of your stock front frame however you should be able to running any suspension. I suggest that you email them directly with pictures "if haven't already". Again I’m not suggesting that you are doing anything wrong in your build just trying to help you out with the answers I’m getting from the truck committee. If I can do half the quality of what you’re doing I will be happy with my build.

“So far they (truck committee) have said I can run the Mustang 2 suspension in the front. But was not clear on how much of the stock frame can be modified. To me the rule clearly states that you must have the stock frame. Since they said I can run a non-stock suspension/steering then I assuming that anything goes as long as the stock frame is intact with only minor notching and clearance for the new suspension. I did ask them clarify the rear suspension/frame as I’m afraid that notching the frame and sectioning the bed to clear the notch will be considered channeling which is illegal. But is the bed considered the Body? Again I have sent them pictures I have found off the web to show them what I plan to do. I commend them for putting the time in during the holidays to help me out.”
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline Brickster

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2015, 03:14:03 PM »
This is what I posted in another thread. I believe that you will need to keep most of your stock front frame however you should be able to running any suspension. I suggest that you email them directly with pictures "if haven't already". Again I’m not suggesting that you are doing anything wrong in your build just trying to help you out with the answers I’m getting from the truck committee. If I can do half the quality of what you’re doing I will be happy with my build.

“So far they (truck committee) have said I can run the Mustang 2 suspension in the front. But was not clear on how much of the stock frame can be modified. To me the rule clearly states that you must have the stock frame. Since they said I can run a non-stock suspension/steering then I assuming that anything goes as long as the stock frame is intact with only minor notching and clearance for the new suspension. I did ask them clarify the rear suspension/frame as I’m afraid that notching the frame and sectioning the bed to clear the notch will be considered channeling which is illegal. But is the bed considered the Body? Again I have sent them pictures I have found off the web to show them what I plan to do. I commend them for putting the time in during the holidays to help me out.”

I think you are mistaken on what channeling is. That would be to lower the body in relationship to the frame. The frame/notch extending up into the bed would not lower the body panels at all in relationship to the lowest point of the frame.  I have a picture of the Kix/Henderson S10 during construction and his current record holder has a complete mini-trucker type step notch in the rear so I can't see how that would be any different than what I am doing. With no % of the stock frame specified how many ways could this rule be interpreted?

With that being said I will send off my own email for my records to make sure I have a legal racer.

Brick
1995 dodge Dakota, C/BMMP

Offline 1leg

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »
I actually agree with you. I just want to make sure the guys that would deem it legal or illegal are thinking the same thing as us.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline Brickster

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2015, 03:40:36 PM »
1 leg. Are you doing a mustang II crossmember or stub?

Offline 1leg

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2015, 04:13:49 PM »
If we do the mustang 2 it will be just the cross member keeping the stock frame. After some rough measurements this might require us to make some wider control arms then are available, so a lot more work. We are also considering doing 82-92 Camaro style front strut but keep the stock lower control arm mounting points. I'm on a pretty tight budget and limited a little on space to fabricate. I just got the front completely disassembled so I will be getting some mock up wheels and get some better measurements before making up my mind. In either case I plan to keep the stock front frame rails with only minor notching for control arms and mustang 2 steering rack. Just to note this is an original 4wd frame.

For the rear I plan to use ladder bars with watts link locater. Would like to use air bags front a rear but that has not been decided yet. I will also use heavy sway bars front and rear.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline Brickster

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2015, 08:33:59 PM »
Got word back about my chassis modifications and looks like I'll be going forward as planned.

Brick

Offline 1leg

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2015, 10:43:14 PM »
Cool looking forward to seeing your progress.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline Brickster

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2015, 12:17:15 AM »
I'll let the pics to most of the talking. I took a pause on the frame work as I waited for the truck committee approval. Since I got that its time to ramp to the progress.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2015, 12:30:46 AM »
And we all thought the Busch brothers were the best thing to come out of Vegas!!!!

The pics do way more than talking.

Just awesome. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Brickster

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2015, 02:30:32 AM »
And we all thought the Busch brothers were the best thing to come out of Vegas!!!!

The pics do way more than talking.

Just awesome. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

That's funny because once upon a time I knew Kurt a little. We raced RC together.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2015, 02:07:35 AM »
More pics and progress
Engine work has begun too
Tin work in the bed is done for now

Offline tauruck

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2015, 03:20:57 AM »
That is a really neat job.

We're getting used to the excellence now.

This going to be a great truck. :cheers:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2015, 02:05:54 PM »
Brickster,
With your oil tank mounted in the bed be sure to make the drysump pump inlet line big, at least -16, bigger if you can . Even though the inlet port on the pump may be smaller run as big a line from the tank to the pump as is possible. Your pump will like it. Probably want to consider a tank heater also.

Love the fab work and can't wait to see your truck on the ground.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2015, 08:19:43 PM »
Thanks Rex, we also got some tips from Dailey engineering. They made the oil pan and pump we are running. I'm going to hard line most of the distance down the frame with only small amounts of flexible line.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2015, 12:39:00 AM »
Once upon a time I thought I would like to build engines. After stubbing my toe a few times on a Chrysler big block I decided to leave it to those who have a passion for it.  Enter my uncle Dan Sromalla. He helped me save the Mopar I had screwed up a few times. Dan had one of the oldest operating SuperFlow dynos in the country set up in the garage at his house. That's a guy who loves high performance engines.  When he upgraded his dyno to a SuperFlow 901 they bought back his original to display it at the SuperFlow headquarters. The following are some pictures of him doing the initial mock up of the bottom end components and measuring the main line.

This weekend I started on the front suspension, here goes.

I'm mocking up the front suspension on top of the frame just to save space. When done it will go in the correct location.