Author Topic: Dodge Dakota C/BMMP  (Read 109385 times)

Offline Brickster

1995 dodge Dakota, C/BMMP

Offline buickracer69

• New folks
Re: Dodge Dakota C/BMMP
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2014, 01:06:45 AM »
I am using a wet sump, and a stock crank, but other than that my engine combo sounds very similar to yours. Good luck with your build, I am sure we will be bouncing ideas off each other as our builds progress.

I read that you said you bored your LS for roller cam bearing, that sounds pretty serious.

If you don't mind me asking what combo are you putting together, and what is your ultimate power goals?

I don't want to step on your toes since we are both working toward the same record, just figured I would see what others were doing.

Lq9, dry sump, 317 heads, good rotating assembly, fast intake, Holley dominator EFI, 91mm turbo, air/water. Only looking for a rock solid 850 hp and never lift the hood while on the salt.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2014, 12:03:29 AM »
Last Sunday I drew up some parts and by Wednesday my CNC plasma cutter (Travis @ Alter Ego here in LV) had a bunch of parts for me. So far I've done everything in 3/16".

Then as I mentioned earlier we are doing roller cam bearings. We made an installer to draw the bearings in place. Here is a couple pics of that.

Lastly we started welding together the new parts. Here is the rear crossmember that houses the adjustable coil spring buckets

Offline 1leg

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2014, 10:53:36 AM »

The front clip is from Howe racing. It was a piece that was on special and to tell you the truth i bought it and the rack so long ago I don't remember much about it. The front suspension parts are all speedway motors stuff I'll build to the track width I want.

[/quote]

Do you plan to cut your front frame section off and use the whole howe clip or just transfer the suspension. I ask only because i thought you need to keep the stock frame in MP classes.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline Brickster

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2014, 02:59:09 PM »

The front clip is from Howe racing. It was a piece that was on special and to tell you the truth i bought it and the rack so long ago I don't remember much about it. The front suspension parts are all speedway motors stuff I'll build to the track width I want.

Do you plan to cut your front frame section off and use the whole howe clip or just transfer the suspension. I ask only because i thought you need to keep the stock frame in MP classes.
[/quote]

I am keeping a good portion of the stock frame like many of the trucks I looked at on the salt. At one time I was going to do a full size truck so I looked at Norris Anderson's Stude a lot. I know on that truck he is using a strut type front end that is like many drag racing applications. Don't know how much of his frame required modification but I'm guessing it's similar.

Offline 1leg

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2014, 05:38:16 PM »
It just states that you need to keep the stock frame. It doesn't mention suspension. I think it’s acceptable to modify the frame and use a different suspension just not sure you can swap out the whole front clip. It would be a good question to ask before chopping the front frame off. A email to Ed Whiteley would get an answer. I’ll email him and get back to you I just might be in the same position your in.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline Brickster

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2014, 09:03:09 PM »
It just states that you need to keep the stock frame. It doesn't mention suspension. I think it’s acceptable to modify the frame and use a different suspension just not sure you can swap out the whole front clip. It would be a good question to ask before chopping the front frame off. A email to Ed Whiteley would get an answer. I’ll email him and get back to you I just might be in the same position your in.

Yes, please let me know.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2014, 12:25:03 AM »
Here goes the latest update.
Since getting the first set of plasma cut parts I designed I can say that this has  sped up how quickly I can put something together with my limited free time. There is some time required to sand off the dross to get clean good welds but its a small price to pay.
First thing was to get all the obstruction cleaned off the existing frame and the new profiles located on the outside and tacked in place

After the outside was in place I mocked up where the spring crossmember was located and cut it in so it would assemble like a puzzle

After the outer profiles I had to remove some more of the old airbag stuff from the inside to get the inner profiles installed. At the same time I used some tubing remnants turned in the lathe as spacers and to keep everything square.

I was then finally able to cut out the old portion of the frame over the axle

And lastly 10 new slugs showed up in the mail. If these can't get it done I don't know what will.

More updates to come as I hope to have the rear suspension done by the end of the month.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »
Looking good and I like the way you're working.

Hope the slugs do the job for you, they look the part. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2014, 11:55:39 AM »
Brickster;

For cleaning up the dross on your plasma cut parts, I'd recommend using an angle grinder with 3M Cubitron II abrasive discs. These are the best abrasive discs that I've ever used for cutting metal parts.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2014, 02:42:15 PM »
Subscribing
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline 1leg

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
Just so you know I have been communicating with the truck committee on how much of the stock frame and suspension can be modified. One of the committee members is currently on vacation but they are asking me questions. I sent them pictures that I found on the web that shows what I plan to do on my truck which is to use mustang 2 front suspension but retain most of the stock front frame. I also plan to run a ladder bar suspension in the back and notch the frame similar to what you have done. Still waiting on a reply from them. I would suggest if you have not contacted them yet to send them some picture of your rear suspension modifications. As soon as I hear from them I will post what I learned here and in my build thread.

dieselsalttoy@aol.com, Jim Dunn
edwhiteley@hotmail.com  Ed Whiteley
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

Offline Brickster

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2014, 11:44:36 PM »
Still making headway on the suspension and gathering parts.

A couple of my helpers are Air Force retirees and they said they would do some safety wiring for me. I'm sure it will be faster and better than if I do it as I have no actual knowledge of how to do it. I just fake my way thru it. Here is the first set of rotor to hat bolts.

Today I had to remove the cab from the chassis. There was no way I could access the location of the crossmember with the cab in place and the frame bench made access from the bottom impossible

After getting the body out of the way it was lots of measuring, trimming and more measuring to get the truck arm and crossmember in place. By tomorrow I should have it all tacked in place. Before I tack the crossmember I took the opportunity to cleanup the pass through holes I made earlier.

Offline Tman

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »
Nice progress Brick.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2014, 10:51:43 AM »
Nice progress Brick.

And very pretty work!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete