Author Topic: Dodge Dakota C/BMMP  (Read 109582 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Dodge Dakota C/BMMP
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 11:52:15 PM »
Photo test

If this works then this is my truck, pictured as it will be the end of its days of street use.

It's all looking promising. Good luck on the build. BTW mine was also my daily driver. :-D

Offline Brickster

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 12:28:49 AM »
I plan to keep taking small bites as time permits. Tonight I started striping out the interior. Is it required to keep any portion of the stock interior?
1995 dodge Dakota, C/BMMP

Offline Kix

• 1997 GMC Saltnoma
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »

Hey Brick, nice to meet you at Bville and good to see you making progress on the truck!

I have two suggestions... if I may?

1) put a rule book in the truck, in your car, by your favorite chair, and on the back of the toilet.  Read the general construction, safety, and Gas Coupe rules about 400 times... then read them again!  Racers thrive in the grey area on the performance side, but anything related to safety is very black and white at Bonneville. 

2) don't be afraid to call Ed Whiteley or Jim Dunn if you aren't sure on something, or even just to tell them what you are planning.  They are great guys and will go out of their way to help you be clear on your build.  The last thing you want to do is show up at Bonneville and find out you have a discrepency that might keep you from running... plus... it certainly doesn't make you popular to put the officials in a position to have to decide whether to turn you away, or let you run with something they aren't completely comfortable with.  Also, know for sure before you modify... don't give someone a chance to challenge you on a rules infraction when you have that 200+ time slip in your hand!

I don't know much... but that's my $.02

Kix
MODIFIED MID-PICKUP #4442

Bonneville Record:     219.35 mph
Maxton Mile Record:   193.14 mph
Ohio Mile Record:       192.80 mph

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 10:04:43 AM »
Kix,

I would say from Kix/Henderson's trucks performance, putting three guys in the 200 MPH Club in 6 days you know a lot. You had a well executed platform and a lot can be said for that for a truck that was making it's first salt appearance. Sage advice.

BR

Hey Brick, nice to meet you at Bville and good to see you making progress on the truck!

I have two suggestions... if I may?

1) put a rule book in the truck, in your car, by your favorite chair, and on the back of the toilet.  Read the general construction, safety, and Gas Coupe rules about 400 times... then read them again!  Racers thrive in the grey area on the performance side, but anything related to safety is very black and white at Bonneville. 

2) don't be afraid to call Ed Whiteley or Jim Dunn if you aren't sure on something, or even just to tell them what you are planning.  They are great guys and will go out of their way to help you be clear on your build.  The last thing you want to do is show up at Bonneville and find out you have a discrepency that might keep you from running... plus... it certainly doesn't make you popular to put the officials in a position to have to decide whether to turn you away, or let you run with something they aren't completely comfortable with.  Also, know for sure before you modify... don't give someone a chance to challenge you on a rules infraction when you have that 200+ time slip in your hand!

I don't know much... but that's my $.02

Kix
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline tauruck

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
Yup, Can't go wrong on that advice. Good stuff Kix.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
Made a little more progress on Sunday. Got the exhaust, gas tank and all the old air suspension stuff out except just the bags and some schrader valves so it can still roll for now.

Then started taking some measurements for the front and rear suspension. Started making a parts list and held some parts in place just to get an idea if what I have planned is going to work.

The pics show the stocker LQ9 engine, the frame clip and the NASCAR truck arms wired in place.

Offline 93SVT5.0TT

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 10:13:28 PM »
Brick, are you shooting for SpeedWeek 2014? Would be cool to have another C/BMMP around to trade stories  :cheers:

Offline Brickster

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
That would be nice. I'm hoping to just make consistent progress and if it happens that way ill take it. I'm puting together an order from Speedway right now for my front suspension.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »
Got most of the front suspension components and the wheels ordered. I will be building the control arms myself so we'll see how that goes. The front wheels say they won't ship for a month. I can assume they don't sell many 4.5" rims. Because of the wait for the front end stuff the plan for tomorrow is to start planning out the diff and rear suspension

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »
Got most of the front suspension components and the wheels ordered. I will be building the control arms myself so we'll see how that goes. The front wheels say they won't ship for a month. I can assume they don't sell many 4.5" rims. Because of the wait for the front end stuff the plan for tomorrow is to start planning out the diff and rear suspension

May I make a suggestion on the wheels, check the wheelsmith http://www.thewheelsmith.net/. He will custom build your wheels for about the same money. You want your wheels welded 360 degrees and he has the solid centers to do that. Call him with the size, width, lug patter and offset. You will have them in a week. Tell him you are using NASCAR 1" lug nuts they have a different taper than street wheels.
If you are building 15" wheels he has a moon disc jig and can weld your dzus tabs for you.
I have bought two sets from him and been very pleased.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Brickster

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 12:14:52 AM »
Last weekend I made some progress but when I went to upload the pics I had nothing but trouble. I'll try this again.

Got the bed off and stripped the old 9", 4 bar and air spring suspension

My daughters came to help but found the green masking tape and decided to decorate themselves and their bikes

I calculated where the height of the axle will be and it's centerline is the sharpie mark on the tape. A more dramatic notch is going required for that plus the suspension travel.

Then I just through the truck arms and floater diff up in place to get an idea what else is going to have to change. It looks like the truck arms will have to be set a little narrower and the track width will have to be narrowed.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 12:27:21 AM »
During the week I got my frame bench down to the shop. I bought this about 6 years ago after Shelby American liquidated all Series 1 inventory and tooling. I actually bought it from the scrapper for $0.10 a pound more than scrap weight.

I also started receiving some of the suspension parts I ordered

Then lastly I got a band saw set up we got a few weeks ago in preparation for building the cross members and fixtures to mount the frame to the bench tomorrow.

I hope to make some good progress on Sunday with a new update for you guys.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 09:02:48 AM »
You've got some nice stuff to work with there. That bench is very nice. Looks like you're making good progress. I'm subscribed. :cheers:

Offline Brickster

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 01:28:52 AM »
Worked all day and only made progress on the fixture table. Got one side done and crossmembers cut.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 01:32:09 AM »