Author Topic: Dodge Dakota C/BMMP  (Read 109387 times)

Offline Brickster

Dodge Dakota C/BMMP
« on: September 25, 2013, 12:44:36 AM »
After many years of attending speedweek, making plans, gathering parts and finishing some other projects I have finally started on the road to build a racecar out of the pickup truck I drove to high school 17 years ago. The truck is a 1995 Dodge Dakota regular cab short bed. 

The current plan is to run a 6.0L gm engine with a turbo. I made a deal on the engine. I agreed to do the fiberglass repair,body and paint on a 62 Corvette in trade for the 6.0L. It took 3 years of nights and weekends as time allowed to complete the vette project.

The engine builder is my uncle Dan, he is a very experienced engine builder but somewhat new to the LS series of engines, turbos and land speed racing. I am greatful that with his help and his blessing the construction of the truck will be able to take place at our shop here in Las Vegas.  Check it out at www.dansdrivelne.com

I also have a friend Tim that has signed on to help out with the cage and chassis construction. He has some LSR experience as he was part of the team that built the Budweiser rocket car. As well as raced a rocket powered funny car and survived a crash at the top end of the track. He is an extremely talented fabricator and I'm also grateful and honored that he signed on to this project.

Another person who has pledged some time toward this project is Gil Navarez who will be heading up the engine tuning. I watched last year as Gil worked his magic on the Shelby 5.4L engine for Carroll Shelby's 1000 Mustang. That engine screamed on our dyno like no other and made almost 1000 HP on pump gas through stock exhaust manifolds.

It was purely by chance that I met Rod Nestmann (HVAC EXPRESS D/BMMP) at bonneville a few years ago but he recently moved from IL to NV and has already been a great help with advise, donating parts and help with disassembly.

I can't wait to post updates as the project makes progress here and on Facebook.

Brick Casper
1995 dodge Dakota, C/BMMP

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Dodge Dakota C/BMMP
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:59:19 AM »
This should be fun to follow. Good luck with it.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:36:24 AM »
What Peter said. Best wishes on your project. Mikey.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 08:07:11 AM »
Sounds like this is going to be a fun project, and you have an excellent team already listed.

My first new vehicle after graduating from college was a '92 Dakota, extended cab 2wd.  That truck still shows up in my dreams on occasion, and I wish I still had it to play around with.

By the time your project is complete, the original truck will only be a tiny fraction of the overall investment. Make sure that it's the best choice for your racing dream, in terms of condition and configuration.

If it was my project, my main concern would be whether the regular cab short bed is the best configuration for a truck that is probably going to be up around 200 mph to be competitive against the record.

Longer wheelbase is better for stability, but maybe not for aero.  That's going to have to be a trade-off.

Regardless, take a bunch of photos, and post here frequently.  The advice you will get from this community will be invaluable.

Steve.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:09:17 AM by SteveM »
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 08:43:53 AM »
Sounds like a great project. I got my ECTA License in a C/BMMP... It can be a challenge to package everything you need in a reg cab but it can be done.

Happy fabricating,

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Brickster

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »
Is there an easy way to post pics from a mobile device (iPad) ?

Offline Jon

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 05:16:27 PM »
Is there an easy way to post pics from a mobile device (iPad) ?

The way I do it from iPhone:
Open a Photobucket account
Download Photobucket App
In the Photobucket App choose upload media
You can upload a pic you have on there or take a new one
When it is uploaded go to My Albums
Select the pic you want to upload
There will be a little i (information symbol) on the pic (bottom right on iPhone app)
Touch the IMG shortcut and it will say something like IMG link copied
Paste that in your thread

Probably other ways to do it.
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SteveM

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »
I do the same thing that Jon described with my iPhone.

The photobucket app is pretty handy.

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 07:00:57 PM »
Great to see you posting Brick! Look forward to watching the truck come together.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:49:32 PM »
Cool another build diary to follow. Good luck Brick!

Offline Brickster

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 12:13:45 AM »
Photo test

If this works then this is my truck, pictured as it will be the end of its days of street use.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:20:48 AM »
This truck started out as a 4 cyl, 5 speed base model. Years ago I installed a 5.9L Magnum V8 with an overdrive auto. Now those pieces will find a new home to make room for the new engine.

Offline Tman

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 09:32:02 AM »
Pictures work!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 10:13:41 AM »
That's a good looking truck, and it looks like your project is getting up and going quickly. :cheers:

Looks like you have a nice shop to work in, also.

Just as an FYI, your hood should be fine, as hood scoops are allowed in this class.

You will probably have to install an OEM grille to stay in compliance with the rules.  It's a good idea to open a dialogue with the rules chairperson for the truck class, and save all the documentation you may get from them.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
I already have thrown the grille in the trash as it had some damage from hitting a retread and I was aware of the rule. I have not liked the hood with the scoops since I put it on so the the stock one is going back on.