Author Topic: Event gas at Bonneville  (Read 16634 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: Event gas at Bonneville
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 04:39:59 PM »
Rick is the person who knows what is legal.
I stand corrected.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 10:54:08 PM »
We do the same thing as mentioned earlier.  ERC is hard to get here so the tuning is done with Sunoco Standard and 110K is used at the event, if needed.  I cannot tell any difference between the fuels so this works great.  Both are good gasolines.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 11:46:58 PM »
Personally, I have never seen a fuel check though I suppose they get done time to time.

Jack, that's an interesting point.

I remember going to El Mirage in the '90s, and I believe it was Chuck Kalbach's car being tested for fuel with an electronic insert that was put into the tank on a long stick.  I asked him about it, and he explained that alcohol and nitro methane have different resistances, so that is how they were able to distinguish gasoline from fuel.

Maybe it's no longer possible to do that - gasoline formulations have changed dramatically in the last 20 years - but I can't ever say in the times I've been to Bonneville I ever saw gasoline tested in this manner.

Maybe I just missed it.

I know after my rookie pass, after I pumped out my tank, they beat on the bottom of it, it made a "clank", and they sealed off my tank after I filled up.  

If they don't check after a record run, well, heck - A quart of nitro methane could easily be put in the tank through a vent.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:48:34 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
They of course do check that the tank is properly sealed and yes, that you arrive at the fuel truck empty. That is not what I have meant but that I have not seen an actual sample taken for testing. Others have, of course, as has been mentioned. The rule book does have specific diaelectric and other features that are supposed to match. As I alluded previously and Chris just stated, non legal components could be added through a vent etc if you want to but as has been stated, if you want to run a lie (not just running afoul of rule interpretation or misunderstanding) so be it. Again, Dan told me anything gasoline wise on the fuel truck was "legal" event gas.  Having in the past thought that only the 110k was the "event gas" when I was running a blown gas liner, I would have liked to use one of the higher octane blends.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
"Test on whatever you want.  Show up and tell Rick what you've been using.  And tell him what you're running. CR and so-on.
He'll give you what you need.  No need to worry about that.  Lots of other things to worry about.  He'll know what's best for you."

What I was trying to convey was that Rick will help you match up his product to as close as the product you've been using.  And a lot of folks think his advise is solid if you don't have a clue on what to use -- as I did.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 11:21:51 AM »
Thanks Stan. That was my big concern. I didn't want to build a motor that we tuned on gas available here and then not be able to get the same octane out on the salt. I won't need 120 octane, but I wanted to make sure that if we tuned on 110, I could get it on the salt.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline sabat

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2013, 01:58:15 PM »
One consideration is that if your engine is tuned for another gasoline, Rick will advise you to choose the safest fuel from what he has available. For example, your engine might perform better on MUL/B, but if Rick isn't sure if your engine will tolerate it, he might steer you to 110K to be safe. Thus tuning on another fuel and leaving it up to Rick to decide is fine, but you might leave horsepower on the table. -Dean