Author Topic: Event gas at Bonneville  (Read 16674 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: Event gas at Bonneville
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 09:34:47 PM »
Test on whatever you want.  Show up and tell Rick what you've been using.  And tell him what you're running. CR and so-on.
He'll give you what you need.  No need to worry about that.  Lots of other things to worry about.  He'll know what's best for you.

Stan - my friend - please, please, don't ever say that to me, please.  I've been bitten in the arse so many times by those who knew what's best for me.

My first cam was best for me - that's why we went to Elgin and had him build one to our specs.

The Crane springs were best for me - now they're on their way to a street driven Mini build as we speak.

My rockers were a "bolt on" application . . . after relieving the inside radius next to the pedestals.

The successful components, like the crank, the rods, the pistons, the stupid little valve spring cups which I had machined and hardened - the ones that fit right and don't fail - are the ones I've researched and specified, or have received input about from by those not directly concerned with selling me something they had.

Maybe I'm becoming a control freak, but I'd rather find out what he's got and tune accordingly than tune and try to have something available that might work.

The point I didn't completely make was that there are comparative products out there for testing purposes.  And granted, the choices are limited on the salt, but the closest ERC guy for me is in Minneapolis - I can get VP just south of town.  By checking the sheets, you can come very close to ERC's formulations with VP or - whoever - to tune your engine before you get to the salt.

I've no doubt Rick knows his stuff, and I know he really cares about getting it right.  But when I filled up, I told him I tuned with a fuel with a specific gravity of .696 in order to match his ERC .699.  I think he appreciated that I had done some home work. 

I will tune to the fuel - I won't fuel to the tune.  Stan, you are right - there ARE lots of other things to worry about.

Okay, I'm climbing down off of my peach crate.

Man, am I cranky today . . .  :wink:

Going to make this comment, not to complain, but just a fyi from my point of view. I can get Sunoco 110 local for about $7.50 a gallon. It is not far from the ERC 110 I use at Bonneville.  Last year was doing some dyno work and wanted to try to tune to the ERC 110  and while at it, was playing with come injector configuration and thrashing a slow combustion situation and thought I'd try some 19K while was at it to see if anything there. ( could tell no diff on my testing with either fuel but that is another story). So I called Rick up and got 10 gal of ERC 110 and 5 Gal of 19K. Charge for the fuel, cans (a screw up there that he partly refunded me for at the track) and shipping was a tidy $350 for 15 gal of gas. They don't make emoticons with big enough eyeballs for that one. :-o  Ok, I live in Maryland so was UPS freighted across country etc etc.

Anyway, read the specs. If you need help from someone who knows more about fuel, get it. Chris tuned with a local something and spoke with Rick to get SG correct etc. And it worked for him. Lots of differences. But beware if you want to tune with actual BNI fuel. It may be worth while to use something more readily available (assuming you are not local to an ERC distributor) and match the specs. Then be conservative with your tune until you see how it behaves on the track.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline salt27

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 10:14:04 PM »
So, is A=19A legal in gas class or not?  :?

Don't leave me hanging.   :-D

Thanks,  Don  

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:18:23 PM by salt27 »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »
So, is A=19A legal in gas class or not?  :?

Don't leave me hanging.   :-D

Thanks,  Don  

Yes!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline salt27

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 01:32:39 AM »
Thanks Chris.

That's what I thought but reply 6 and 7 had me wondering.

I must have misinterpreted something.

Don

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 09:09:54 AM »
Thanks Chris.

That's what I thought but reply 6 and 7 had me wondering.

I must have misinterpreted something.

Don
Pretty sure DW was referring to the VP C-14> And if you run it, you are therefore in "fuel" class as was pointed out. And if you bring a can of 19A (perhaps unless factory sealed and put in tank under watchful eye of inspector and then sealed) that is not legal either (since you would have had the opportunity to doctor it or bring something else in the can). Personally, I have never seen a fuel check though I suppose they get done time to time. If  one wanted to cheat fuel wise, pretty easy to do but what's the point anyway?  A bit why ECTA has stopped sealing tanks etc and relied on the racer to be honest.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 10:07:08 AM »
When either Nancy or I have qualified in a gas class (we race bikes only) and gone to impound -- our fuel has been sampled.  And then, if we're fortunate enough to back up the qualifier -- the fuel was sampled once again.

It won't be sampled if you don't go to impound, but then, instead of running on a record -- you're running on a lie if you've put other than event fuel in your tank.  Even if it's "the same as. . ." -- it's not the real stuff.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
When either Nancy or I have qualified in a gas class (we race bikes only) and gone to impound -- our fuel has been sampled.  And then, if we're fortunate enough to back up the qualifier -- the fuel was sampled once again.

It won't be sampled if you don't go to impound, but then, instead of running on a record -- you're running on a lie if you've put other than event fuel in your tank.  Even if it's "the same as. . ." -- it's not the real stuff.
I guess you bike guys have all the luck!! :roll:

Seriously, been to the salt maybe 17-18 times since my first in 1979 and been fortunate to make it to impound a number of them. They have looked at sealed tank. Never have I seen a fuel sample taken. Like I said, I am sure it happens as SSS points out. Unfortunately there may be some folks who don't mind running on a lie. :-(
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Tman

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
Since we are so far off the record we have used our own fuel at times. Tim ends up with some VP from his dragster and it is nice to use it up when shaking things down. If we had a chance at a run on the record we would not bother and go straight to the fuel truck. And yes, the fuel guys stick the tank to see what in it before fueling. We had a bike in front of us this year that they watched him siphone out a couple pints or so.

Offline salt27

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 11:27:44 PM »
They have taken samples from us every time we have set a record in gas class.

Where do you think they get gas for there generator.   :-D

We were considering trying A-19A but decided not to change what was already working.

Don

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 11:28:45 PM »
And yes, the fuel guys stick the tank to see what in it before fueling.

Gee, I only had a pint of nitro left in the tank.  8-)
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »
Just to confirm, I checked my notes, and Rick told me last fall that they bring out the following -

110K, A-8D, A-19A, MUL/A, RUL/H and RUL/T.

That's three leaded, three unleaded.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »
ERC Racing Fuels complete specifications
http://www.ercracingfuels.com/sxs1.htm
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »
I don't think the RUL is gas class legal, only one of the high octane I legal. Again call Rick to find out what is legal.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »
I don't think the RUL is gas class legal, only one of the high octane I legal. Again call Rick to find out what is legal.
Again, see my reply #8. I don't think Rick is the person that determines what is legal. He I am sure can provide specifications and these can be compared to those in the rule book.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 04:24:12 PM »
Rick is the person who knows what is legal.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing