Author Topic: Event gas at Bonneville  (Read 16690 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Event gas at Bonneville
« on: September 24, 2013, 05:15:03 PM »
Does anybody know what octane the event gas is at Bonneville? I'm diving into my engine build and figured knowing the octane of the gas that is available from ERC would sure make figuring a compression ratio a lot easier.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline fwillyj

Re: Event gas at Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
-here's a link to a list of all their fuels.

http://www.ercracingfuels.com/sxs1.htm

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:45:15 PM »
Mul B, 110, and one of the 118 oct are gas class legal. Call Rick Gold at ERC.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »
If you need something else next year Rick will accommodate.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 11:05:26 PM »
It looks like there is a new gas, MUL-C.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:09:51 PM »
Mul B, 110, and one of the 118 oct are gas class legal. Call Rick Gold at ERC.

It's the A-19A  - .699 specific gravity.  I called ahead before I dynoed to get it close with what's available in Wisconsin.  Specs similar to VP C-14.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:16:02 PM »
Which you cannot use if you plan to visit Impound. Dyno your rods out.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 12:43:12 AM »
Which you cannot use if you plan to visit Impound. Dyno your rods out.

DW

DW, Yes you can, just run the fuel class :evil:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »
Presuming things have not changed, DW told me in the past that any gasoline ERC had on the truck was Gas class legal.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »
So what I'm gathering is there is more than one octane available at any given event?
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
Check their website, I think Rick brings everything you see so you can match your requirements for your engine.  If they don't have what you need to run in gas class your engine program is too exotic.   :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 12:27:34 PM »
Thanks Stainless! That's what I needed to know. I didn't know if they only supplied one certain octane. I'd hate to have 14:1 CR and only have 100 octane available!

And to jack my own thread, Glad your doing good Stainless!!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »
Test on whatever you want.  Show up and tell Rick what you've been using.  And tell him what you're running. CR and so-on.
He'll give you what you need.  No need to worry about that.  Lots of other things to worry about.  He'll know what's best for you.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 09:04:27 PM »
Test on whatever you want.  Show up and tell Rick what you've been using.  And tell him what you're running. CR and so-on.
He'll give you what you need.  No need to worry about that.  Lots of other things to worry about.  He'll know what's best for you.

Stan - my friend - please, please, don't ever say that to me, please.  I've been bitten in the arse so many times by those who knew what's best for me.

My first cam was best for me - that's why we went to Elgin and had him build one to our specs.

The Crane springs were best for me - now they're on their way to a street driven Mini build as we speak.

My rockers were a "bolt on" application . . . after relieving the inside radius next to the pedestals.

The successful components, like the crank, the rods, the pistons, the stupid little valve spring cups which I had machined and hardened - the ones that fit right and don't fail - are the ones I've researched and specified, or have received input about from by those not directly concerned with selling me something they had.

Maybe I'm becoming a control freak, but I'd rather find out what he's got and tune accordingly than tune and try to have something available that might work.

The point I didn't completely make was that there are comparative products out there for testing purposes.  And granted, the choices are limited on the salt, but the closest ERC guy for me is in Minneapolis - I can get VP just south of town.  By checking the sheets, you can come very close to ERC's formulations with VP or - whoever - to tune your engine before you get to the salt.

I've no doubt Rick knows his stuff, and I know he really cares about getting it right.  But when I filled up, I told him I tuned with a fuel with a specific gravity of .696 in order to match his ERC .699.  I think he appreciated that I had done some home work. 

I will tune to the fuel - I won't fuel to the tune.  Stan, you are right - there ARE lots of other things to worry about.

Okay, I'm climbing down off of my peach crate.

Man, am I cranky today . . .  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 09:18:41 PM »
"Okay, I'm climbing down off of my peach crate.

Man, am I cranky today . . .  wink"

Time for a beer or two, Chris..... :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ