Author Topic: Electromotive ignition  (Read 6687 times)

Offline John Burk

Electromotive ignition
« on: September 22, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »
What experiences has anybody had with large bore , high compression engines with Electromotive ignitions that wouldn't start . With their design , at each start up the electronics relearn where top center on the crank trigger wheel is but somehow aren't able to deal with the irregular cranking speed with this combination even with the starter running on 24 V . The coils fire at the wrong time or not at all . The problem would go away once the engine started . They say their newer DXIs are better on this but aren't a guaranteed fix . A MSD belt driven distributor will fit if the Electromotive just won't work .

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Electromotive ignition
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
Are you rolling it over with the ignition on? On the road race cars I worked on I always set up with a starter button and an ignition switch. I always had the driver roll the engine over until he saw oil pressure before he hit the ignition switch. It always seemed to work fine and I used the Electromotive stuff in several applications.

Pete

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »
What experiences has anybody had with large bore , high compression engines with Electromotive ignitions that wouldn't start . With their design , at each start up the electronics relearn where top center on the crank trigger wheel is but somehow aren't able to deal with the irregular cranking speed with this combination even with the starter running on 24 V . The coils fire at the wrong time or not at all . The problem would go away once the engine started . They say their newer DXIs are better on this but aren't a guaranteed fix . A MSD belt driven distributor will fit if the Electromotive just won't work .

I used to be an champion of Electromotive and a dealer for them. I always and still like the idea of a "complete engine management system". They had a huge jump on the market when they were getting started but failed to make improvements to the product and and got left in the dust. I can elaborate more if anyone wishes to pm me but bottom line is that the product made me look like an idiot one too many times. Lord knows I don't need any help in this area as I do a fine job of this on my own.
BTW, starting problem may be attributed to emi caused by the starter or any electric fans and or waterpumps. Filtering of crank signal used to be just about nonexistent on these products. Don't know if it has improved over the last couple of years.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 05:56:21 PM »
   Have you asked here:   http://electromotivetec.freeforums.org/tec3-tec3r-f6.html

They may help out.
    Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 11:07:30 PM »
Are your coils grounded properly there should be a small ground wire from a screw on the base of the coils. ( the coil base has a coating on it everywhere but around the ground screw). They also recommend grounding the ECU to the battery. Also make sure the mag and mag wire coming from the trigger wheel are as far from alternator and starter as possible and any other high voltage like the coils.
 If this doesn't help PM me and I can get you in touch with some who can help.
 Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline John Burk

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 12:23:02 AM »
Thanks Richard . With the plugs out so the engine cranks at a constant speed the timing light shows the ignition is firing normally . Electromotive admits it's the high compression , large bore causing the problem .

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »
John, How big of a bore and how much compression on what type of engine? What Electromotive set-up do you have?
Richard 2
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:16:17 PM by Richard 2 »
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline John Burk

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
Richard the bore is 4 9/16" and the cr is 13.23:1 .

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »
John, while it's not "Big Bore", I am at about 13.2:1 compression.

I'm using the XDI/2 set-up, and I've been told to take heed of the smaller gaps recommended by Electromotive - .022".

Of course, the gap between the sensor and the wheel are also critical.

Peter Jacks suggestion is precisely how I start mine.

If you aren't already using one, I might suggest a gear reduction starter - it will crank the engine over more uniformly.

Once I had mine dialed in, it was flawless, with the exception of not being able to properly record my dyno sessions.  I suspect it's a software issue. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 12:01:24 AM »
True the coil needs its own switch with its own hot wire to the battery or as close to the battery as possible.   I made the mistake of using the coil switch to run the Race-pac. when the engine would back fire, because of the waste spark, it (I was told) sends thousands of volts back to the switch. Needless to say the Race-pac did not like that. So I'm sure if you used the coil switch to run the ECU it would confuse the ECU and cause a no start.
I also use a reduction starter, wheels the engine over about 240 RPM.
Even with the ECU and the Coil on their own switches if I get a no start I have to turn off all switches and start over.
Richard 2 
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8