Author Topic: Any issues with mounting Manual Boost Controller in the cabin?  (Read 19632 times)

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
Re: Any issues with mounting Manual Boost Controller in the cabin?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »
We use a boost controller that increases boost by a 10th of a pound, as it ramps up and its a hand full. I wouldn't want to just throw an extra 3 or 4 pounds at it all at once unless it was at the top of the HP in high gear. Of coarse a large HP engine is going to be harder to control than a lower HP engine.
Richard 2
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:37:43 PM by Richard 2 »
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 10:57:04 PM »
If I put a $ sign on mine, do you think I can go faster?   :-D

Steve.

With everything $-related, it all depends on where you put it.  :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »
I think it is just a gentle reminder that touching that knob can have an effect on how much you lean when you sit and which direction...  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »
I'm not much for criticizing other folk's builds, but it makes me nervous when the driver has to look so far from the course line of sight to watch an apparently critical gauge.  It's bad enough that the eye's focus has to change from distance to close, bright to shade.
Rabid Snail Racing

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 01:26:29 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2VHyMAv1dU

Being a bit of a safety nut the thing I noticed in what appeared to be a pretty nice run in a really nice car was that as soon as he got away from the officials view he lifted his visor and had absolutely no eye protection at that point. I think this shows really poor judgement and flies in the face of everything the organizers do to keep the racers safe. While this is too far in the past to do anything I think in the future if there is evidence of the same sort of attitude there should be some sort of punishment issued.

Pete

Standby

DW

I am guessing by DW's answer to Pete's post that this has been seen by the SCTA.

I guess if there is some kind of disciplinary action, all they can say is they brought it on themselves for posting the video on U-Tube.

Tom G.

Nothing in the rulebook says anything about the face shield position, only that the helmet is equipped with one...Just sayin...

New rule change? Oops past the deadline... I leave mine cracked for ventilation, one notch from closed.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Tman

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 01:59:54 PM »
Watch the crash videos, Danny Thompsons comes to mind. His visor slams open and closed at least a couple times.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »
I'm sure DW is going to suprise a few folks with what is coming down concerning not only visors but other things changed by drivers for their comfort during runs. If you need ventation add a pump.

Safety rules are all there for a reason and comfort may not be one of the reasons. After an accident if things are found I believe it is the right and obligation by the BOD to take action. This action could be a life ban and in some cases should be.

I believe that if there is a Go Pro mounted in the car it also becomes part of the investigation after an accident and can be used as necessary. Same for You Tube etc.

Probably not the proper place on this site for this and I'm sure there will be a new posting. but I didn't bring it up.......JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline desotoman

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 04:41:26 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2VHyMAv1dU

Being a bit of a safety nut the thing I noticed in what appeared to be a pretty nice run in a really nice car was that as soon as he got away from the officials view he lifted his visor and had absolutely no eye protection at that point. I think this shows really poor judgement and flies in the face of everything the organizers do to keep the racers safe. While this is too far in the past to do anything I think in the future if there is evidence of the same sort of attitude there should be some sort of punishment issued.

Pete

Standby

DW

I am guessing by DW's answer to Pete's post that this has been seen by the SCTA.

I guess if there is some kind of disciplinary action, all they can say is they brought it on themselves for posting the video on U-Tube.

Tom G.

Nothing in the rulebook says anything about the face shield position, only that the helmet is equipped with one...Just sayin...

New rule change? Oops past the deadline... I leave mine cracked for ventilation, one notch from closed.

Hi Mike,

Hope all is well with you and Paula.

As far as the rule book goes I think you have to read between the lines, and you are correct it does not say anything about the face shield position, BUT it does say NO OPEN FACE HELMETS WILL BE ALLOWED......    So I would take that to mean no running without the face shield down, otherwise it would be considered an open face helmet.  Also how many times have you seen the starter tell people to close the face shield, before they will let them proceed down the course.....  Just my interpretation of the rules.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »
Tom,
I don't advocate it, but the way the rule is written (3.A.2) the Snell Foundation tag should be on it.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline dw230

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 10:49:49 PM »
LSR Mike/Desoto Man,

Rules and interpretations aside lets take a look at what happens when someone's ego makes them purchase and mount an in car Go Pro. The egocentric driver then flips the face shield off the line. To clear fogging?, Rain-X is your friend here, then crashes. The investigation team and first responders find the seat belts mounted correctly but, rerouted for comfort and not in compliance. Picking junk up it is found that ballast added after tech inspection is added, then it is discovered that said ballast is pieces of asphalt block and not what most racers would use. The parachute was also not anchored to the chassis.

How many people were put in jeopardy as a result of the entrant's decisions? The crash could have run way off course and hit the spectators, the driver could have been lost to his/her family. Just think of the repercussions, add to the list if you wish.

It is incumbent on all of us to promote this sport, keep it safe and present a public image that we are responsible racers.

Let me leave you all with a suggestion - don't let your ego pull your pants down.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline desotoman

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 11:24:49 PM »
Dan,

I was referring to the video in this post. But it sounds like you are referring to something completely different that ended up in a crash, with many violations of SCTA rules. I really don't understand why someone would put themselves in that position, but I can only speak for myself.

Thanks for the information.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2013, 12:38:36 AM »
Standby for more 'official' input.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
Thank you DW....There probably should be a spot on the site where situations such as the one you are mentioning and perhaps the others which involve the construction of area the driver sits are placed. I only responded because it was here and it does not belong where Manual Boost Controllers are the topic.

The entrants stupidity and ones similar from previous years only prove that no one can be trusted after leaving the inspection area...............JD  That's twice for cinder blocks in my time! geeeeesh :x :x :x
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro