Author Topic: Any issues with mounting Manual Boost Controller in the cabin?  (Read 19635 times)

Offline SteveM

Any issues with mounting Manual Boost Controller in the cabin?
« on: September 21, 2013, 02:47:38 PM »

The title pretty much sums up the question -

Is it considered OK, or even somewhat common, to mount a manually controlled turbo boost controller in the driver's compartment of a closed car?   This would have a 1/8" ID pressure line going to the controller, and a 1/8" ID vent line coming out.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

Re: Any issues with mounting Manual Boost Controller in the cabin?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 03:07:04 PM »
I "think" Rick Byrnes had one in his Merkur. Shoot him a PM.

Gregg

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
Can't say for sure, but it looks like that's precisely what the driver of the New Zealand Mini Cooper is doing - about 2:20 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2VHyMAv1dU
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
Thanks for the link, Chris. Good eye in that one.

Sure looks like a boost controller to me. Nice mounting spot, too.

That guy's even using the same blue and white Garmin 500 GPS unit that ill be using.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »
I "think" Rick Byrnes had one in his Merkur. Shoot him a PM.

Gregg

I normally start a pass with just 15 pounds of boost, measured in the intake manifold plenum.
 I measure boost as intake manifold pressure absolute, in inches of mercury (Hg). At Bonneville 15 pounds is equal to 55" Hg Abs 25 + (15 X2) = 55". The boost control knob is at a location just to the right of the shifter and is identified by a $ sign.
 I attempted to turn up the boost while in 3rd gear, but found that it caused total wheel spin and complete lack of control, just like on snow or slush, so I turned it back down to somewhere around 15 to 20 psig, and shifted into 4th (final) early in the second mile. Tire spin caused this to be a little further in the mile than normal but I was pretty happy with it. (normally I shift into 4th before the end of mile 1.
 Once in 4th and hooked up, I started cranking in the boost and it felt great. Tire spin was a problem but not unmanageable. I got up to 85" Hg Abs (30 PSIG) and in the 3rd mile it was flying, and moving all over the place. This was more power than I had ever experienced and I knew it would be faster than I had ever been before...

Just as in the previous attempts, in third and finally in 4th gear I increased boost gradually to 85". Well the car was even more unstable than before, and was fishtailing in the second mile to a point that it went completely sideways and I had to lift totally out of the throttle or the car would have spun out. I was able to straighten out, and I got it back up on the pipe, with reduced boost, as quickly as possible, but momentum was hurt pretty badly. The good thing though is once boost was increased, I felt the car now accelerating like never before...

From Rick's excellent write-up of his 1998 Red Hat Speedweek: http://www.merkurencyclopedia.com/Merkur_misc/Byrnes_1998.html

Mike
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 05:37:12 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »
Can't say for sure, but it looks like that's precisely what the driver of the New Zealand Mini Cooper is doing - about 2:20 into the video.

Being a bit of a safety nut the thing I noticed in what appeared to be a pretty nice run in a really nice car was that as soon as he got away from the officials view he lifted his visor and had absolutely no eye protection at that point. I think this shows really poor judgement and flies in the face of everything the organizers do to keep the racers safe. While this is too far in the past to do anything I think in the future if there is evidence of the same sort of attitude there should be some sort of punishment issued.

Pete

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »
Standby

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »
Don Vesco used a similar method in his motorcycle 'liner.

After experiencing slow acceleration and massive wheel spin he had to do something different.

Then he started with no boost and when he was in top gear he started to turn in boost.

That was the method he decided on after massive wheel spin by starting with a set amount of boost.

Worked for him and it will probably work for you.....if you are gentle on the boost knob.

It's just something that you need to experience to perfect it.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
There is an alternative.  It is more expensive but I think a lot safer in that you aren't trying to drive the car and turn a know up or down at the same time.

Turbosmart's e-Boost 2, and maybe others, lets you program up to 6 different boost settings and activate them via different options.  One is time based (drag racers use this more), another is rpm based but what we are using is a method where you can step up or down the 6 settings (you don't have to use all 6) via an electrical push button.  There are 2 wires on the controller to do this.  Each time you ground one wire with the button it will step up to the next boost level.  This is what we are using at this point.  If you ground the other wire by a button it will step down one step.  We aren't wired for this at this time.

We are trying to get our steps so they are in the 3-4 lbs. for each step.  There is more on the controller here....

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/product/e-boost-2

On my license runs I found that running on the 8 lb springs was not ideal.  I'm estimating that when the boost comes on and goes to 8 lbs the 572 cu. in. motor is picking up at least 200-300 HP in a matter of a couple seconds.  Trying to feather into this is a hard situation and wastes time and distance on the course.  With a smaller motor adding 40% more throttle over a couple seconds might not result in instant wheel spin so ones results might be different.

We have new springs for the wastegates that we are going to try going back to World Finals.  They look like they will eliminate initial boost to about 2-3 lbs. and with pipe and intercooler looses we should have about 1-2 lbs of boost at the manifold.  This should allow us to run on just the motor in 1st and 2nd and part of 3rd until we start hitting the button to add boost in the last miles.

Again I would not want to be twisting a knob up or down running over 175 or so and also trying to watch a boost gauge.  I don't think I would be very accurate doing this.  I'm sure it has been done in the past and in the present but with the new controllers it just isn't necessary.  Not sure how fast you will be going and if under 175 this might be a doable option.  

Personally I can't see a problem with the controller as it is venting boost pressure off from after the turbo compressor from the line going to the wastegate, I assume.

Good luck,

Sum

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:16:14 PM by Sumner »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 07:15:12 PM »
The simple answer to your question is YES.

Lots of people do it that way. Some of the options above are a better choice but not required.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
We've found that by putting the visor down early, it tends to get accustomed to where it is and unfogs by itself (or something like that if you can get what I mean).  The same goes for keeping the driver's eyes in the shade with an umbrella, and when they say go, pulling it away and blinding him.  This particularly happens in morning record return runs, as I remember long ago.

Watching the driver's eye movements got me scared.  I guess the young know where they're going, but I've never spent that much time looking around.  I thought he was going to start texting at any moment!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »

Being a bit of a safety nut the thing I noticed in what appeared to be a pretty nice run in a really nice car was that as soon as he got away from the officials view he lifted his visor and had absolutely no eye protection at that point. I think this shows really poor judgement and flies in the face of everything the organizers do to keep the racers safe. While this is too far in the past to do anything I think in the future if there is evidence of the same sort of attitude there should be some sort of punishment issued.

Pete

Standby

DW

I am guessing by DW's answer to Pete's post that this has been seen by the SCTA.

I guess if there is some kind of disciplinary action, all they can say is they brought it on themselves for posting the video on U-Tube.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »
Ever seen in-car video of the Speed Demon liner? 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »
Ever seen in-car video of the Speed Demon liner? 

There are lots from the cockpit looking forward on you tube. Just look for "Speed Demon Bonneville".

Pete

Offline SteveM

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »
I was thinking of one where the first thing George does is lifts his visor.

:-D