Author Topic: VW powered lakesters?  (Read 11498 times)

Offline saltracer1

VW powered lakesters?
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »
Some buddies are thinking of building a air cooled VW lakester and I was wondering why you don't see many like this? Phil

Offline RichFox

Re: VW powered lakesters?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:49:38 PM »
I don't know, but I think air cooled cars have greater wind resistance than water cooled cars. Especially if the barrels are out in the wind.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:51:21 PM »
VW engines don't make as much power as Hayabusas or Hondas. In the old days you could throw a roll bar on a Formula Vee and run, but with current safety rules you need a purpose-built car.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:04:48 AM »
I looked through my pics a little but didn't spot any VW lakesters or streamliners.  Tell them to get a couple of rule books and get to building. 
About 325 days till SpeedWeek...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
I do remember a Volkswagen streamliner from the 70's, it was a good looking car, but it did have difficulties with vision setup if memory serves correctly. It did not return that I know about, too bad, it was well done...

Maybe it is time to do another liner!  :-D

Matt Guzzetta

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 04:23:33 PM »
There are a few VW powered vehicles on the salt, but they're not the old Aircooled 36HP units.

There is a guy, John Stahl (?) that does run a pretty hopped up bug...

Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »
Bob Stahl

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 12:04:25 AM »
[quote author=MattGuzzetta link=topic
I do remember a Volkswagen streamliner from the 70's, it was a good looking car, but it did have difficulties with vision setup if memory serves correctly.
Matt Guzzetta
[/quote]

Lakesters and Liners can be that way sometimes. :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »
Bob Stahl

DW
Thanks Dan, I think John Stahl is an actor...
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
There were VW powered midgets so there is some power potential but in a lakester I would think there would be a lot hanging out in the wind.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 01:08:38 AM »
Most modern small displacement motors are making very impressive HP per CI. Variable valve timing, 4 valve per, OHC, computer designed ports, computer controlled fuel/ignition, ability to run 11K+ RPM, tuned air boxes, (high % VE) and so on.

Even if the jugs were in the bodywork and you used the doghouse with ducting it will still induce turbulence at venting areas.....while this could be minimized with careful engineering and testing, it would still be another hurdle.

Anything is possible but clearly you would be at a disadvantage on multiple levels from the start.

Now if you were to say you were wanting to use a Sube STi motor in 4wd configuration ??? Well....now that sounds like a winner to me!!!!

GOOD LUCK!

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline gkeeton

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »
There are quite a few Aircooled LSR's, but I don't know of any Lakesters.

http://ultimateaircooled.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php/board,53.0.html

Like tortoise mentioned, it is easier, and cheaper to get more hp from modern engines. You have to realize that the Aircooled Flat 4 from a Classic VW was designed in the early 30's, so you have about the technological equivalent of a Flathead Ford. That hasn't stopped some from pushing the limits with a stock configured engine case from a 1600 based engine past 650hp with forced induction from as little as 2.3 liters. And others with aftermarket configured cases/blocks past 1200hp from as little as 2.7 liters.
And yes, Bob Stahl is still racing to my knowledge. His engine isn't base from a 36 hp Engine from a 50's Beetle, but is an Aircooled VW Engine based from a mid 70's Microbus.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:49:35 PM by gkeeton »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
One serious problem with air-cooled engines is getting rid of the cylinder heat. Cooling the oil is absolutely necessary to aid in this. Drag racing is a different kettle of fish-- LSR requires full-throttle for 5 miles so the engine is going to reach a steady-state temperature; the cylinder heads are going to be HOT! Air-cooled aircraft engines used water injection to help cool the incoming fuel charge and reduce engine temperature during full-mil power. A water jacket acts as a very effective "temperature sink" so it doesn't have such wild temperature excursions. How Porsche was able to control the air-cooled flat 12 cylinder engine in their 917 down the Mulsanne Straight is something I'll ask John Horsman about tomorrow at lunch.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Geo

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 03:19:59 PM »
Neil,

I'd like to be at that lunch!  Let us jknow what you find out.

Geo

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 03:30:50 PM »
Neil,

I'd like to be at that lunch!  Let us jknow what you find out.

Geo

If you're ever in Tucson on a Thursday, you're invited!  I'll pass on whatever I find out.