Author Topic: Yet Another electrical question  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Yet Another electrical question
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »
Ok so on my trailer, I have a 2000 pd electric winch. I have it wired correctly, using a dbl throw dbl pull 20 AMP toggle switch and a 12 volt battery.

I am also using 10 Gauge wire.

When I load a car on, it gets so hot it always melts the contacts on the switch, and I end up replacing the switch.

Is there a switch that I can use that wont melt? In other words a heavier duty one?

Do I need bigger wires?

I am stumped.

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Yet Another electrical question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 09:43:11 AM »
So - how much current does the 2000# winch draw under load?  That's the issue -- maybe it's more than the "20 amp" switch contacts can handle (obviously).  Either a heavier-rated switch -- or the same switch that just turns on the power to a heavy-rated contactor.  Starter/snow plow motor contactor or relay, maybe.  That'd be one way to win the game.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Jessechop

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »
Are you using 10 gauge wire to supply power to the winch? Or just to a remote? If you are using 10 gauge wire to supply power you are way under sized. I will look for a chart

Jessechop

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:53:25 AM »
So I just dug through my desk drawer and found the paperwork on my Superwinch LT2000 and it says 100 amp draw at 12V @ 2000 lbs, 10 amp with no load. 100amps should be on a 1 gauge cable. With that said I guess my winch has about 4 gauge wire supplying the power, but I also use the supplied breaker too...but I have never had it kick.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 02:06:08 AM »
Sometimes a mo'sickle starter motor solenoid works good for this.  Hook up the big load carrying wires to the big terminals on the solenoid.  Use light duty wires for a low voltage switch current.