Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452647 times)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #3390 on: December 28, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »
Mike,

I am sure that you are aware of some Ford 9" facts but it is worthwhile for you to review before you get too far along.....The 9" Ford rear end has a considerable offset (vertical) of the pinion centerline so if you have already planned on a pinion centerline (vertical) using a GM rear axle, the offset difference should be evaluated. :roll:

As far as the drawing side and supplying same to a gear manufacturer, it is perhaps possible to get those type of drawings from an existing manufacturer if you might ask them. However, having addressed the problem is far from solving it. Perhaps it is better to discuss the issue in detail with a manufacturer such as Meritor that indeed might have a ring and pinion already done that is very close to the ratio you say you want. Just a thought to perhaps ease the angst a bit. :-D

Stay safe and clear of the snakes. Both Mr. No Shoulders and the two legged kind as well. :-o

Best of Luck in the coming New Year. :cheers:

Regards,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3391 on: December 28, 2018, 06:10:35 PM »
Speaking of 9 in. pinion/axle centerlines....Strange makes a 9 in. center section that uses G.M gear sets.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #3392 on: December 28, 2018, 06:55:59 PM »
One might also consider agricultural/industrial gearboxes for which a 2:1 ratio, and others, are likely readily available.  This would, perhaps, complicate the “axle” part of the problem though.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3393 on: December 29, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
I got ripped off to the tune of 50 grand plus I lost my new 3rd member.
I borrowed the money from Guido and paying it back set me behind
about a year.

This company knows their business but honestly who builds ratios specifically for LSR.
The engineer I'm dealing with asked me what my requirements are and I think that was fair.
He wants to give me exactly what I want but I don't have the knowledge or experience.

The reared is set up with what I have and to go back to the 9" now would just kill the project.

I'm not George Poteet and probably have less money than the guy who cleans the salt off his tires.
If I told you what kind of budget I have you'd say I was full of BS. I'll figure this out but thanks for
the input.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3394 on: December 29, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »
Mike, it might be a good idea to run the car with the closest gearing that you can get cheap.  Then, based on observed performance, change the gearing.   

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3395 on: December 29, 2018, 12:58:26 PM »

Here's my problem.

I have a GM rear end and the ratio is 2.44:1 but I think it's a 7.5" as opposed to an 8".

Please correct me if I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

I'm stubborn and I want what I want, period. I want a 2:1 ratio.

Mike,

You need to talk to Sparky as he knows all about GM 7.5 rear ends. And if I remember they made a 2.14 Ring and pinion for those units. If it were me I would use one of those ratios first, then see if I really need a 2.0 ring and pinion. Just my 2 cents.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3396 on: December 29, 2018, 02:19:54 PM »
Mike  That is 7%   8000 vs 7500
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3397 on: December 29, 2018, 04:34:01 PM »

Here's my problem.

I have a GM rear end and the ratio is 2.44:1 but I think it's a 7.5" as opposed to an 8".

Please correct me if I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

I'm stubborn and I want what I want, period. I want a 2:1 ratio.

Mike,

You need to talk to Sparky as he knows all about GM 7.5 rear ends. And if I remember they made a 2.14 Ring and pinion for those units. If it were me I would use one of those ratios first, then see if I really need a 2.0 ring and pinion. Just my 2 cents.

Tom G.

Sparky and I did discuss the 2.14 Tom. Maybe I need to revisit that. Thanks man. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3398 on: December 30, 2018, 03:31:24 AM »
What should the correct ratio be for a crankshaft driven water pump pulley setup
in an LSR application with max RPM being 8500?. I'm thinking the stock setup will
create cavitation?.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3399 on: January 18, 2019, 09:06:34 PM »
Been doing some work but everything is sub standard. Dumped all the junk.
Lost my mojo.  :evil: :evil: :evil

Reset, try again.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3400 on: January 18, 2019, 10:38:20 PM »
No sweat Mike... been having that issue myself.... I know we will come thru it...  :cheers:
Just be careful... don't try this at home.... stainless tailing grabbed the lathe chuck and then gathered a few more.... those things are a little sharp... got me before I could move....
sprung a pretty good leak .... no worries... it musta been extra, 5 stitches and all is well
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3401 on: January 18, 2019, 10:48:17 PM »
alternators and water pumps do not like over 5000. rpm
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3402 on: January 18, 2019, 11:01:57 PM »
alternators and water pumps do not like over 5000. rpm
I am going to respectfully disagree about alternators. Most run stock at 2-3x crank speed. Just look at the pulleys. Powermaster says for Delco style max rpm 18000, for Denso style 20000. "one wire" alternators don't start charging until 25-2800 at start up generally speaking. 
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3403 on: January 19, 2019, 11:38:32 AM »
No sweat Mike... been having that issue myself.... I know we will come thru it...  :cheers:
Just be careful... don't try this at home.... stainless tailing grabbed the lathe chuck and then gathered a few more.... those things are a little sharp... got me before I could move....
sprung a pretty good leak .... no worries... it musta been extra, 5 stitches and all is well

Not cool. But it could have been a fly cutter (if that's the correct term?) on the mill.

Sorry you got hurt. The Claret must have been everywhere?.
 Heal up brother. :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3404 on: January 19, 2019, 12:14:58 PM »
I'm either whining or looking for advice.
I need to stop whining. I have it good.

I've got this Fueltech system (FT 350 I think) and I was thinking
of mounting it into that Carbon Fibre F1 type steering wheel I built.

I can't think of anywhere else to mount it?. The steering has a quick release
so the tech guys can place it anywhere within reason. Any advice?. Thanks.