Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1456990 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #2745 on: October 23, 2016, 10:49:52 PM »
Mikie:

The longer the car... the more  the stress. Pace yourself, just do something every day... even if it is just drawing an idea with a Sharpie marker. It will all get done.

Budgets? Who has a budget. I know of a few teams with budgets... the rest of us, like you, make the budget by trading something of value for the coins to buy the hard parts we cannot fabricate.

If the trans get you through the low speed tests before it pukes then that is a win. Probably not going to run at full potential the first outing anyway.
Keep chipping away.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #2746 on: October 24, 2016, 09:04:17 AM »
OK...How do you prevent the Bellville washers from aligning themselves into a solid stack ???
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #2747 on: October 24, 2016, 09:09:31 AM »
Oops...OK, The cone type..Just alternate them...makes sense. I was thinking the wavy type...which I now see are made with tabs to prevent that. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #2748 on: October 24, 2016, 09:14:24 AM »
Like so....amazing what I can learn if I STFU and open my eyes. JB

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2749 on: October 24, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
Mike, where you will be racing is dusty.  The crevices between the Belvilles need to be clean so the washer stack can contract under compression.  Some sort of covering is a good idea.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #2750 on: October 24, 2016, 10:17:51 AM »
I'm more confused than ever now!. I'm going to change the whole rear end and add shocks and the "mother of all roll bars".
We'll see how that works out.
Guys, I'm exhausted. Trying to build a liner in Africa without a budget and an exchange rate that defies description isn't a joke
and I'm not looking for sympathy but all this S$$t is too confusing.
Truth is that I've been in situations far worse but I'm not going to go all "Health and Safety" on this. If it doesn't work and I stop posting so
be it.
My tranny is junk for starters so if i ever get tires the thing will probably break before it gets to a speed where it will be dangerous!.

Mike, don't let us confuse you. Figure out what you want to try and go for it. Suggestions to design your car to accept some sort of suspension are good and makes a lot of sense but it will ultimately be what you want and not what the rest of us think you should do. This is LSR, Mike, and you are free to try whatever strikes your fancy. The track will eventually tell you if it was a good idea or not.

John   

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #2751 on: October 24, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
Belleville washers  are very interesting springs, you can and download design manuals from Schnoorr.com that details all the various methods of using them and how to calculate the loads and how to stack them for usage.  They are more accuately called "disc springs" when you use the more accurate items.  The design manuals are a free download and chock full of useful information on how to use the springs.  Altho I have not used them in a vehicle application, I did spend about 6 years using them in an archery invention. They pack a lot of power in a small space and are used in some heavy trucks in Europe as the springs. 
You can easily pack them in a tubular container and use a guide rod to stack them so you can make a special stack with a rising rate spring by using 2 or 3 various rate springs with the same diameters and hole sizes. I did not discover the capabilities of the disc springs until after I got out of vehicle design, but they are a great spring for high capacity and small movements.  You could build a suspension that was great for almost solid suspension but with some compliance to possible keep the wheels in contact with terra firma for traction. 
Love to see some more innovation using disc springs, suprised to hear of them used on a liner, very cool! :-D

Matt Guzzetta

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2752 on: October 25, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »
Thanks Bill, John, Matt, Bo, Syd, Jerry and all the guys that chipped in.
Thanks to those that PMd me too. They know who they are.
All of this helps. I appreciate the input. I have a few ideas I want to implement
and as it was mentioned the track will decide.

Location is the problem. I'm out here in Africa so I can't get you guys to come over
to have a look. It would be cool though. :-D
My frustration comes from working alone, the exchange rate and funding. Probably
normal conditions for most of us.

I'll come up with a solution.
A while back I landed a sponsorship from Uniclips. The company manufactures top
class hose clamps in all different sizes and configurations. All stainless steel.
Les Groves came around one Saturday morning to check out the liner. He liked it and
what I want to achieve.
Last Friday Viktor Malinov and his son Denis came around to deliver product. The clamps are
everything I expected and more. His son is in his last year at school and does graphic design as a
hobby but he's way more than that. This kid's work is awesome. Now they asked if he can come
work with me after he finishes his exams. I said sure. Viktor is an engineer so the youngster knows
about tools etc.
Denis also wants to do some 3D renderings of the liner so it's a win win situation.
Thanks Uniclips. I know for sure that these clamps won't let me down. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2753 on: October 25, 2016, 04:05:06 PM »
MIKE---remember---- you are the trip director-drill sargent  --   

you can forward march---oblique---side step- to the rear march, quick time, double time, 1/2 step or halt and parade rest  there have been many, many, successful cars that had all of the above when it comes to suspension..

Perfect is the enemy of Good---what ever you build---run it--- if the car doesn't like the conditions or design--it will tell you-- nearly all of us have changed lots and lots of stuff on our cars
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Freud

« Reply #2754 on: October 25, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
Son..............

Just don't make it so confined that there is no way to change down the road.

I've seen that first hand and it's a bugger. Adding suspension is a great idea.

It is a problem with the course we are faced with and it's too late to decide

now.

Dad
Since '63

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2755 on: October 26, 2016, 01:36:52 AM »
Thanks Sparky, I'll be all I can be!!!. 8-) 8-)
Pop, you always inspire me and give me good advice. :-D
Thanks for the emails. I'm getting :cheers: schooled.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2756 on: October 26, 2016, 07:11:38 AM »
I think I might be learning from the kid called Denis.

Some links of his projects.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ssz24Jc_Y

https://youtu.be/6OEXq2_tDtU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w79PXyvdZwk

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiq1ILIk3vw

The last one was his first project in 2014.
Good kid. Can't wait for him to come around. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2757 on: October 26, 2016, 10:03:56 AM »
Mike:

I was talking about you in the "Upgrade" thread that Bob wrote. All good fun.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2758 on: October 26, 2016, 10:14:38 AM »
Do you think the guy has some skills?.
Wonder if he can use the lathe?. :-D :-D :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele