Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1456412 times)

Offline Polyhead

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #2175 on: February 07, 2016, 02:44:31 AM »
I would think hardening the entire spindle would be a bad idea.  would you rather have it bend or shatter?  Thought so... 

Heat treating to relieve stress isn't a bad thing if it's been welded, but ideally you make it from a stress relieved piece of ground shafting.  Often what we use at work is Acralloy, or some chro/mo steel.  At work we usually make spindles that have bearings riding on them out of a forged billet of 4130 or 4140.  With a forging you get the promise of a very controlled and consistent crystaline structure and any inclusions left behind will be very very small.  41 series chromo because you have a material that is hard wearing, high tensile strength yet still retains a very long fatigue life.  We then put a 64 finish on the entire shaft save for where the bearing will ride which we sand to finish somewhere around 32, finer if we have the time in inclination that day.  This is to minimize points where a stress fracture could start.  The very fine finish can probably be skipped in this case since wheel bearings are a clearence fit, and most of the bearing work we do has the bearings heated in an induction heater and shrunk onto the shaft.  We do the super fine finish in our case to aid in assembly/dissasembly.  Also the customers eat that shit up.  You ship a part to them that looks like ass, and no matter how functional for their purpose it is, they'll complain.  Send them a part that looks like a million bucks and they'll pay a million bucks.

https://goo.gl/photos/oQAqxZjCYeiuxFC58
Some chromoly billets I turned out last summer... that all ended up in the scrap bin because the customer had specified the wrong ID for their bearings. -_-;  75% material removal!
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2176 on: February 07, 2016, 04:53:10 AM »
Thank you Bo and Ben, you both make excellent points. :cheers: :wink:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:58:18 AM by tauruck »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2177 on: February 10, 2016, 11:47:39 PM »
Got the new phone talking to the PC so I should have pics included in my posts from now on. :cheers:
I have my electrical accessory sponsor coming over today. He'll be checking on what I'll need on Mil spec connectors
fasteners etc.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2178 on: February 11, 2016, 11:37:54 AM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2179 on: February 11, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »
Mike, its good to have a second set of spindles made up so you have spares if something happens like spinning a bearing. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2180 on: February 12, 2016, 05:12:18 AM »
Bo, in time maybe but right now survival is the key!. :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2181 on: February 16, 2016, 11:48:01 AM »
I figured out how to upload pics to the Windows 10 "machine" from my old phone. :-o

I found a test piece in a mold that I was going to use to mount fuel filters.
It works for my fuel pumps as well so I'll be making 4 over the next week or so.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2182 on: February 16, 2016, 12:41:25 PM »
Been thinking about sealing off the area around my tandem steer front end.
I'm going to build a cover to go over the wheels etc but with the flat floor
and cutouts for the tires the dust is still going to get in so I figure my best
option is to make sure the chassis is sealed from the front bulkhead backward. Cockpit area.

The only pieces in the nose section are the two pneumatic rams, the control box and the wheels.

Your thoughts?. Thanks in advance.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2183 on: February 16, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »
Smart move on sealing.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2184 on: February 16, 2016, 05:35:15 PM »
also you might consider a positive air flow through it with forward facing scoops from up above and rear facing vents  down below
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2185 on: February 17, 2016, 12:04:28 AM »
Point taken Sparky. Best solution yet. Thanks my friend. :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2186 on: February 17, 2016, 08:30:04 AM »
Got the title for my bike today. Gotta wait 10 days to collect the original new documents.
Then she'll be sold. Heart breaker but it's necessary. I had an invite to Sturgis based just on the innovative components
and now I have to let her go for peanuts.

Unless my cousin has a real fast pony running this weekend at 100/1 odds!!!!  :evil: :roll:
It happened before. :-D :-D :-D

I need M/T rubber. Only in Africa do you pay the price of a small car for tires from the States if you're lucky enough
to get them. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2187 on: February 17, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »
Offing the bike is the ultimate sacrifice.  Any way to do something less drastic like selling the dogs, wife, or house?  Maybe cutting of an arm or leg and selling it to the transplant bank?   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2188 on: February 17, 2016, 09:43:48 AM »
Bo, I need the rubber so stuff's gotta go.

Salt fever rules.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2189 on: February 18, 2016, 07:48:03 AM »
I had a great meeting with Andre Kruger and Claude Middleton at Hellermanntyton
this morning. Super guys, nice to deal with.
I saw all the products I'm getting for the long car. They manufacture top quality zip ties
Mil Spec connectors, sleeving and all electrical related products.

As soon as I get said products I'll post pics.
Thanks Claude and Andre. You made my day. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Also dropped my front uprights (spindle housings) at Arma Gear for machining.
The parts should turn out great. :cheers:

I also got confirmation from Clyde Beattie of UVEX that they are sponsoring safety eye wear so no more foreign
bodies in eye balls. :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:51:17 AM by tauruck »