Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1458591 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #1995 on: October 07, 2015, 12:56:46 AM »
Mike, do like the construction folks do.  Start work at 5 in the AM and knock off at about 1:30 in the PM after a half hour lunch around 11:30.  Then, if you need a few more hours, do them between 6:00 and 8:00 in the evening.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1996 on: October 08, 2015, 08:42:04 AM »
Hey Bo, I'm doing that already :-D :-D :-D :-D

The quiet stuff early and late so as not to disturb the neighbors. :wink:
Welding mostly.

During the day I make noise. :evil:

My buddy Ian uses ear muffs for every job and he was here yesterday and had his fingers in his ears.
I'm cutting a piece of steel on the radial saw and then it dawned on me!!! The guy builds $100,000
sound systems. His ears are his life. I laughed so hard I stopped working. This guy is a serious person
but we get on great and for some reason we spend so much time laughing. Like when he rolled in here on his new Harley V Rod. :cheers:

My guy Xola from Bosch was here yesterday to deliver my alternator.

Cool dude. Everyone else left work earlier to beat the traffic to watch the World Cup Rugby. Not him. He worked and arrived here just before the game started. I just hope he got to see the second half.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1997 on: October 08, 2015, 08:51:17 AM »
nice piece you could run it with a Gilmer belt or ribbed
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1998 on: October 10, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »
Thanks Sparky.
I only took it out of the box for the photos.

Been busy earning a few bucks.
My mate Ian is hilarious. He's a genius in his own right
but metal isn't his thing. He works with wood a lot along with
designing pre amps, speaker systems etc.

His connection has a company that does dock leveling and wanted some fabrication done.
Ian wants to help me so he gets me the work to build stands and a trolley.

He designs the components, does the drawings on solid works and I build according to the drawings.
He specified the steel to be used along with wall thickness and ordered the tubing.

The trolley must carry a 150Lb cylinder.

It's about 4ft tall and probably as wide. I had to use 1/4" wall 6" x 4" tubing according to the
specs.

I figure we built a 200 year lifespan tool that can carry a little more than 150. :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:24:53 PM by tauruck »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1999 on: October 14, 2015, 12:22:21 AM »
I got a surprise email late yesterday from the sales manager at Chicago Pneumatic.
I sent a proposal to him months ago asking for product sponsorship.
My air tools are old and tired. CP has been good to me reliability wise and it looks like I'll be getting a much needed new
die grinder. The one I have is an 87 model and needs to be retired. It looks like a new reciprocating saw and palm sander are also in the offing.

If you don't ask you'll never know. :wink:

I don't have the finances to buy new tools. The liner is this Gannet that eats and eats and I'm trying to save money for tires.

11 grand for an 18" x 6 M/T rear tire pre shipping is no joke. :evil:

Real racers never go to the track with one set so I'm doing the hard yards. 1" at a time. :-D

This project has a military feel to it. I volunteered to join an elite unit when in the army in 75 and the instructors were hell bent on getting rid of the substandard wannabee. The physical turned to mental and eventually your hatred of the guys with rank made you unbreakable.

The difference now is that I get to wake up when I want and the punishment costs me money. :-D :-D :-D

Give up?. Never. The salt problem you guys have has rubbed off on me and I feel your pain. The forum has changed and I don't like what I read. You guys changed my life and gave me purpose. My mission is not to let you down.

I get down too, the funk bites but you need blinders and if you work hard enough stuff happens.

Having lots of good people both local and US based behind me keeps the motivation high.

I'm making progress. Some pics later. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2000 on: October 14, 2015, 08:47:03 AM »
how many of those puppies are looking at Mike!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2001 on: October 14, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »
Sparky, rubber has been my problem throughout my racing career.
Always ran on someone else's second hand "hardly used" stuff.

This time I plan on having new. I'm selling a motor, one road car and a bunch of things I don't use that are still new.

At the same time I'm working on a tire sponsor but Mickey Thompson isn't a brand they retail so it's going to be a hard sell.

2 sets of 18s and two sets of the 15s is my hope.

I need to get the rear end set up but one needs the wheels with rubber to check clearances etc.
Truth be told I might need to lengthen the chassis about 5" behind the rear end. :evil: :evil: :evil:
The drive shaft looks like it will be a problem. I got out of the shop as fast as possible to avoid a panic attack. :-D

Tomorrow is another day and patience is the key.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2002 on: October 14, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »
How fast will you be going? Have you looked into the suitability of Dunlop vintage racing tires for your car? Over here they are commonly used on 250 mph cars. I don't know what the upper limit is. All that I have seen or run were in the 18 inch size. But they catalog several other sizes. Several years ago a Dunlop rep told me that they were all made to the same, current race tire specs.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2003 on: October 15, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »
Rich, maybe we're too ambitious but we're targeting 300.
I'd prefer to go with Mickey Thompson for all the right reasons.
Our setup is similar to George's liner and I know the rubber worked on the Speed Demon
but thanks for the heads up. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2004 on: October 15, 2015, 09:01:40 AM »
Which 15s  ?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2005 on: October 15, 2015, 10:06:43 AM »
Going to be using the M/T 15" fronts (1" taller than the ones Speed Demon used) as Goodyear aren't making the tire anymore.
24,2" OD I think but we need to measure clearances. It might be the 22s that work. I'm not at that stage of development yet with the front hubs and spindles.

Easy to say but I need to buy four!!!.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2006 on: October 17, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
I've been working my Acura off trying to feed the beast.

Slowly but surely I'm getting some shopping in.

Bought some new tig components for one of my torches.
This one is the foot operated one and hopefully when all the bits are assembled
I'll be able to get into the tight spots.

Cups, the correct electrodes for the materials I'm using and other nice toys
but I was a little short on cash so I'm going to make a return trip.
The guys at Binzel were super helpful and a pleasure to deal with.
I think the goodies in picture cost me about $40.

I want to hang/position the rear end housing this week.
My front spindle housings are at Aquajet and should be ready for collection by Wednesday.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2007 on: October 18, 2015, 12:41:04 AM »
That table looks like the lake bed at el mirage.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2008 on: October 19, 2015, 01:30:28 AM »
Gotta keep the motivation going.  :cheers:

The other half and her buddy were into this decoupage thing.
Making new S$$t look old. The table got the treatment!.

Funny thing about these chicks, the like all the old stuff but yet they'll do anything to try looking young.
Lets make the table look 200 but we wanna look 30. :-D

I keep out of the way, do my own stuff in the shop and as long as I've got somewhere dry to sleep I couldn't give
Subaru.
Got a car to finish!!!.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2009 on: October 19, 2015, 12:30:23 PM »
Mike;

"...as long as I've got somewhere dry to sleep I couldn't give Subaru."

That reminds me of a WW II cartoon by Bill Mauldin "A experienced field sojer will figure out a way to sleep warm an' dry.  Lemme know when ya do.."   Satire, of course.  :-)

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ