Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1458872 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #855 on: July 31, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »
The naysayers over here are my biggest motivation.
Rumours of my demise............. grin

Thanks to all of them.

Mike:

The Naysayers are the non-believers. You mark my word, when you achieve your goal the same naysayers will be talking like they were part of your grand plan from the beginning. The majority of people don't know how to set a complex abstract goal in their head and work towards it from an idea. Its creativity, skill, part art and an over active sub-conscious that works out problems at 3 am! No CAD drawings, maybe a few sketches but just start bending and tacking pipe while figuring out the engineering as you progress. For the 99% who naysay there are 1% of the people that can create something where there was once nothing. My buddy who is a master fabricator says, Bill everyday try and do something even if it just sitting and staring at it! And eventually it will get done.

Great build. thanks for sharing it with us.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #856 on: July 31, 2014, 07:26:33 PM »
 :cheers:  Here here
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #857 on: August 01, 2014, 01:48:26 AM »
Thanks guys.
My late uncle on my mom's side was SA's first boxing world champion.
You meet people and in passing his name comes up and every older person says he lived next door and they were best friends.
My uncle either changed his address every day or he was surrounded. :roll:

This is a test like no other and "I've been around you know!!" to quote Al Pacino.
If I could do the run with the missus driving the push truck (full of Jack Russels) and the GPS giving the speed I'd do it.
That's not going to happen.
Its about achieving something and finishing it. It looks impossible and by all accounts is.
I learn something every minute that I work and the further I go the more I find I need more parts.
What kind of jigsaw puzzle is this that the more pieces you fit, the more the puzzle grows. :-D
Liners need to be heavy!!!! No problem there.

You look back at pics. A bunch of pipes lying in the driveway, no drawings and now the car looks like something.
Sid Gyde said the only way to go is to lay out all the stuff on the workshop floor and work from there. He's right on the money.

I live for this and other things have been neglected but I'm making good on them bit by bit.

I played hockey and my team mates were men, big men. I was only 17 and too small by hockey standards but I wanted it bad and could skate. Those guys were family, we stuck together. My army buddies were exactly the same. I get that feeling here even though I've never met you guys face to face. That is motivation like no other.
So many members have helped and naming them would cause a problem because I might leave someone out and I know you guys aren't about that but thanks to everyone. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I'll have a bunch of pics to post over the next few days. There is progress. :wink:

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #858 on: August 02, 2014, 12:15:16 AM »
Mike---I don`t post much, but I have to give you huge credit for your ideas, achievement thus far and your perseverance.Have been studying the Parables lately....The narrow door where all try to enter but many are unsuccessful certainly comes to mind. I think you are going to blast that door open wide as you proceed here--at least in this venue....

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #859 on: August 02, 2014, 10:37:55 AM »
To the two of you    :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #860 on: August 02, 2014, 12:19:16 PM »
It's the personal challenge that drives me on with my liner & Mike has the disease. I've been quietly watching him here & I know if he wants my opinion he'll ask for it.
My biggest obstacles have been with the suppliers of the few custom parts that I can't build my self & that is still going on.
I've been struggling with a serious health problem for the last six months but my biggest concern was that the liner might never actually get to run.
Two weeks ago they told me I'm on the mend, the liner has a reprieve.
You're looking like a pro that's done this before Mike. :cheers:
  Sid.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #861 on: August 02, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
Sid--you know as well as I do that you can`t weld or bolt things together when you are wearing a Straightjacket.....Does this mean your local Mental Health Professional has OK`ed a removal of said garment???  Six months seems a long time to wear one, though.... :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #862 on: August 02, 2014, 11:53:01 PM »
Paul. the "Haka" will get you into all sorts of trouble. :-D
Maybe Sid was put in the jacket by mistake.
Good to hear you're feeling better Sid. :cheers:
Thanks to both of you for the comments.

I'm trying to build a good looking car because that's the way it should be and one never knows, it might just end up at SW in the future.
The last thing I would want is it getting attention for the wrong reasons.
I know the tech guys will go over it with a magnifying glass because after all it is built in Africa.
I've always been very touchy about the finish on my Carbon parts because even though I'm self taught and have been at it since 88 I still feel I have to prove myself in case someone with more knowledge
starts dissecting the quality.

I have this panel with six holes in it that will house the gauges and it needs to reside in a cutout in the top of the carbon driver's cell.
The cutout is square with radiused  corners and has a 3/8" lip around the base. The gauge panel sits slightly recessed inside the cutout.

The panel is about 8mm thick and made from nomex honeycomb with three layers of Carbon on each side.
Getting the panel to fit inside the cutout with an even but very small gap was the aim but cutting said panel exactly using hand tools doesn't give the accuracy required.
My solution was to run a layer of masking tape around the rim of the cutout then give a thick coat of PVA release agent and position the gauge panel while the release agent was still wet.

I've done this before so no problems expected. I put 20lbs of lead on top of the panel to ensure a good seal while the release cured.
The next morning I mixed some Epoxy resin, mixed in some filler and poured it carefully into the uneven gap between the wall of the cutout and the panel.
I left it for a few days while I worked on other things.

Yesterday I decided to remove the panel for final finishing.
A few raps with a nylon mallet usually does the trick.
3 hours of blood, sweat and tears.
I always tell people how stiff these Carbon sandwich panels are (like I actually know).
I eventually had an 8" offcut of heavy wall rectangular tubing with a hole drilled through it for a 10mm bolt under the panel with the bolt passing through a piece of 25mm round tubing (5mm wall) on top of the cutout. I wound the nut to the point that the round tube bent and was touching the panel. The difference in height between the panel and cutout is about 8mm.
It was clear I'd screwed up and it was not coming out.

The die grinder, reciprocating saw and lots of itching looked like the solution but I kept moving my "removal" tool around the rim hoping for a break.
I thought I saw some movement but wasn't sure so I started using the vernier to check depth. I destroyed 3 bolts. Threads got iffy so I changed them out fearing an additional problem.
I then put 1/2" Aluminum plate on each side of the cutout as more spacing and was prepared to break the panel just to remove it.
The tube deflected and eventually I started seeing small movement. The panel bowed along with the tube but wouldn't break.
It eventually came out and I was going to bin it and start over but the panel is fine. A small clean up around the edge with a block and 220 water paper and I had the sliding fit I wanted.

I think my problem was that the cutout had a more than 90* negative angle on it but normally the thickness of the masking tape is enough to force two pieces like this apart.
I'd used the router to cut the hole originally.
What a mission!!!! :evil:
Update pics later.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #863 on: August 03, 2014, 01:01:30 AM »
Mike, you do not need to lose any sleep about perfect finish on an active race vehicle.  And this is especially true for one with a bunch of use.  They show the patina of being taken apart and put together a lot, exposure to the elements, and wear and tear.  The Triumph goes to local car shows during the short time it is together.  A fellow today asked me the history behind the dents on the gas tank.  I told him how they got there and it was a lot of fun.  Both for him listening and for me doing the telling.       

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #864 on: August 03, 2014, 09:19:41 AM »
Mike, you do not need to lose any sleep about perfect finish on an active race vehicle.  And this is especially true for one with a bunch of use.  They show the patina of being taken apart and put together a lot, exposure to the elements, and wear and tear.  The Triumph goes to local car shows during the short time it is together.  A fellow today asked me the history behind the dents on the gas tank.  I told him how they got there and it was a lot of fun.  Both for him listening and for me doing the telling.       

Thanks, I feel better about my "patina" today.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline tauruck

« Reply #865 on: August 04, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »
We're living in a horror movie here. A few weeks back we lost Lou, our older Jack Russell.
At 3AM Sporty, the stray we took in four years ago passed. He was a little off color yesterday but nothing alarming.
The better half stayed home today, she's a wreck.

I NOW HAVE THE FLU THAT'S DOING THE rounds. It's like Ebola but you just suffer and don't die.
Howard Hughes was wrong. You can hide and stuff will still find you.
The die grinder packed up after 25 years. I think I'll encapsulate it in resin.

What a great Monday. :cry:

A luta continua.

I can share this stuff with you guys because i know I have backup.

Mike Iaconelli comes to mind. Never give up!!
The only thing not giving uphill is the liner.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #866 on: August 04, 2014, 10:15:48 AM »
Mike, Sorry to hear of your loss, hang in there.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #867 on: August 04, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »
That's a shame, Mike. I hear you.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #868 on: August 04, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
This too shall pass.  Hang in there Mike.  Very sorry for your loss.

Take care
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #869 on: August 04, 2014, 11:13:53 AM »
  Mike,
   Time to pack up the wife and the liner and head for Australia or someplace safe.  :evil:
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]