Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452582 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »
Ain't nothing wrong with bow ties :-D. Don't know how I have been missing your posts. Your progress looks good. Hope everyone is well.

Frank.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 01:47:17 AM »
That is great what you are doing with those kids.  Some of the squirreliest ones grow up to take big responsibility.  It should be a lot of fun for them and you.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 10:52:29 AM »
Ain't nothing wrong with bow ties :-D. Don't know how I have been missing your posts. Your progress looks good. Hope everyone is well.

Frank.
I'm a Ford guy but the wife developed a taste for the enemy.  :evil: All well here thanks man.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »
That is great what you are doing with those kids.  Some of the squirreliest ones grow up to take big responsibility.  It should be a lot of fun for them and you.
How cool would it be to find one or two guys that are naturals that might want to work with me after they finish their schooling. We're going to have fun for sure.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
Made some more progress today putting in braces. I wrecked a few pipes but used them later in other areas. I'm working 8 hours a day and I think I should have all triangulation done by month's end. Some pics.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
Last two.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »
Looks awesome Mike!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Freud

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »
Do you think too much triangulation will lead to a ruling regarding a frame that

is too rigid?  Maybe it would put too much stress on the driver in a crash.

It may create a need for crush zones.

FREUD
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:44:10 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 08:17:42 PM »
    Areas well worth thinking about.

In the mid-late '80's North East Modifieds drivers didn't fare well while the entire chassis/cage  didn't move between the front and rear nerf bars during incidents.  When they started building chassis to let the front and rear clips give while keeping the main center chassis/cage section strength the safety record improved.

Ed

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »

Looks to me he has the heavy triangulation in the driver's area and I don't think you can have too much there.  You don't want that area crushing in an accident.

For most of us designing a crush zone or break-away chassis is probably beyond our engineering limits.  I know it is past mine  :cry:.  I'm trying to protect the driver according to SCTA recommendations/rules and building the rest so that it is strong enough to work to the best of my abilities,

Sum

Offline tauruck

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 11:41:25 PM »
I appreciate all the input and advice because this is the first liner I'm building. Mine is similar to the Maro Special chassis in most areas. A Carbon/AluminiumHoneycomb tub will install from the bottom and be bolted and bonded to the chassis via 18 locators. I've designed the tub already but I'll only assemble it once the chassis is completed. I'm a small guy (5'7") and weigh around 150lbs. so the tub is a box within a box and when finished will have the wiring and other components running through it from the motor through glands built into it. I still have the seat from my F2 car that was custom made in that monocoque so I've based the driver's cell on those dimensions. It's a tight fit with no wiggle room. I built a Carbon head support for side to side movement that is similar to the NASCAR ones and based on my Simpson helmet there is very little gap (1/4"). It is the strongest, stiffest component I've ever made. 14 layers of the black stuff over a high density core material. I've already welded in the mounts on the roll cage but will only bond in the locators on the support once I've had a chance to sit in the car suited up and strapped in. My only concern is that in a roll over ones legs tend to come off the floor and as someone missing a Patella or two and having a steel pin in my left leg I kinda want to protect the legs. Any ideas on leg protection above the knees?.
                 I was going to fabricate a Butterfly style steering from metal but I have so much Carbon fabric here I decided to go the composite route. It too is super strong but the cool thing is that it's formed to the shape of my hands. No I never duct taped my hands to it a went to sleep with it while the resin cured. :-D. The Canadians had me pee in my new skates and sleep with those strapped on. Only did it once. The wheel isn't quite finished yet but here's a pic of what it looks like without the centre cover.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 12:50:48 AM »
Mike. this is a dumb question from a bike guy.  Why do car builders fab frames with round tubing when it is so much easier to use square?  Bike builders are like this, too.  They prefer round tube.  I never knew why.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 04:16:57 PM »
I can answer the bike one. It's easier to bend round than square and it looks cool. Some car guys use a combination but it must be to do with bending. There are quite a few liners I've seen built with square tubing.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »
This is for Bo. On Friday night I got out of the house for a few hours. I haven't left my yard in a while so I went with my bud Guido to his weekly English classic car get together. They all talk Austin, MG, Jag and Rover there. Not my taste but the guys are cool. I saw this old bike on display that will be taking part in the annual DJ race. It's 450 miles from Durban to Johannesburg only open to vintage bikes. I snapped a few pics for you man. Enjoy.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 02:12:56 AM »
There sure are a lot of control levers and such.  I hope they are not trying to do the 450 miles in one day.  That sure looks like a lot of fun.  Thanks for showing the photos.

The fab shop at my job wants me to design stuff with square tubes.  They say it is easier for them.  I have never asked them to bend anything.  Maybe the next design I send their way will have a bunch of bends in it.  I will go watch and see how they do it.