Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452804 times)

Offline tauruck

Springfield Flyer.
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:42:10 PM »
Guys, I've tried to start this thread five times but when trying to attach the images of the liner chassis I get an error message saying that I've already posted them and when I go back the copy is gone.
          The long car is 33ft long and will be very similar to the Maro Special. I named it the Springfield Flyer after the suburb I grew up in. I'll shoot pics of the progress this weekend and retry posting.

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:45:20 PM »
Here goes. The chassis on the table.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:54:09 PM »
Seems to be working now. I got a great deal on tubing. I tried to get the supplier to sponsor the material but ended up paying cost plus delivery. The tubing is not a standard stock item so the stuff arrived in batches of five or six lengths. I found a new company to do the bending for me and for all the work he charged me a whopping $75 to collect and turn out components with a 3mm tolerance. I waited two months but it was worth it. The work is spot on.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:20:12 AM »
Things are really taking off with this build. I wanted to use plummer blocks for the front and rear suspension so I got in touch with my rod end sponsor but the company changed ownership since the original deal was struck (years ago) and it took some serious work with the new management to put a new one together. It panned out better than expected. Schaeffler (Fag and Ina bearings) are on board and will cover my needs. I've got the reps from Boys Town coming over at ten this morning to discuss a training programme where I'll be involved in getting young guys working with their hands and hopefully give them a chance at finding jobs in the auto industry.
I was going to tig weld the chassis but we couldn't get Argon here for a month so I had to go with mig.
       The chassis is on the table and I'm tacking all the triangulation components. My original plasma cutter had been giving trouble from day one (2008) and if I've used it for a full day since then it'd be a lot. My supplier Guido replaced the thing six or seven times but it just blew. He gave me a brand new machine without an internal compressor and is also built by the same company that makes my welding machines. It's perfect. I have about 74 pipes to fish mouth and have done only 20 or so. Also wrecked a fair few of the weird angled variety.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:23:22 AM »
Long way to go but it's coming.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 01:31:57 AM »
That is one long car.  Will it fit in the garage?  Do you need to make a hole in the garage door for it to stick through?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 02:16:04 AM »
Nice start Mike. We'll follow this one with interest!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:00:52 AM »
Thanks guys. Bo, it's long but luckily so is the garage. The guy we bought the house from built a big boat and the garage had to accomodate it. The trick will be getting the car out into the driveway. It's a 90* with not much space. Peter, I know your input and advice will always be a big advantage. :cheers:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
Looking good Mike! Can't wait to see this one progess! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline tauruck

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 08:21:02 AM »
Thanks Buddy and sorry I wasn't online to wish you luck when you ran. Your coupe is the dogs B**&^% :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »
Thanks guys. Bo, it's long but luckily so is the garage. The guy we bought the house from built a big boat and the garage had to accomodate it. The trick will be getting the car out into the driveway. It's a 90* with not much space. Peter, I know your input and advice will always be a big advantage. :cheers:

Car casters, you can turn it on a dime. Looking good!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »
Awesome Mike! Good progress man.  :cheers: I'll be watching this one for sure!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »
Joe, I still owe you and Capthudarr moon discs but fear not Christmas will be cool this year and hopefully early from my side. Santa out!. :wink:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »

Car casters, you can turn it on a dime. Looking good!

Trent, I'm on it. Bag full of tricks. TIA (This is Africa). I'll be making some next week hopefully.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 11:50:20 AM »
No build progress today. Meetings, meetings and reps. The Boys Town people were here today but it almost never happened. Their GPS clearly didn't work and they got lost 15 miles from my place so the wife went to lead them in. What a woman. She took the morning off work to be here to provide coffee and cakes for the visitors and still drove to get them. It all worked out great. I'll be training 7 youngsters in the art of fabrication, composites and general workshop stuff. Hopefully they'll be inspired to use their hands in some way towards creating a future for themselves. These kids are at Boys Town due to discipline issues and not crime related problems as I suspected. It turns out that the after hours activities are going to the drag strip, the ice rink and the movies. I may have mentioned that I got into fibreglass at the tender age of 13 making goalie masks for my younger brother so the ice rink thing should be a hoot. MO is to pretend I can't skate and take lessons. :-D :-D :-D. There's a woman now living in Australia who is a decendant of the Van Gogh family that "took" me skating once back in the early 90s that hasn't spoken to me since.
   It's all good and as I don't have children of my own this will be an opportunity to help in some small way. They call South Africa the Rainbow Nation so I've ripped of the #24 pit crew and called my crew the "Rainbow Warriors". Hopefully by this time next year they will have been to the salt (even if it looks like El Mirage) and experienced a liner running. It's about the journey more than the destination as they say and I'm up for it. I posted earlier on the Tauruck thread that my woman sold one of her Fiats to put some funding into my liner. It turns out that the husband of the buyer has a freight company and when I asked about his trucks he said he has 14 triple axle rigs. Guess who is going to transport the car to the salt?. :-D I've got one pic of where I got to yesterday but I must have wrecked a dozen tubes on the fish mouth deal. Some days you just need to go fishing. :oops: Ignore the bow tie in picture!.