Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1458173 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2013, 07:13:04 AM »
I've got the C4 box bolted into the chassis. Should I build in extra mountings in the bell housing area bearing in mind I'll be using a front motor plate?. Thanks guys.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »
El Piggy Bank, she's full again. I'll be giving shopping lessons to all the ladies.  Yes it is a target, not a limit. :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2013, 04:03:44 AM »
The irony is that working on a Chevy project is funding my Ford.  :-o  The flyer is waiting for materials coming next week so I've been busy on an oil pan for a dry sump setup on a 572 BBC. The customer wants a Carbon version for his build. It's a Chevy Lumina where space height wise is a problem. Some pics of the plug I'm busy on. As usual the customer in all his wisdom got stuck into me about my passion for the blue oval. Been there before a gazillion times!!! I never draw first blood but these zealots  come in all guns blazing. My ears don't work and I have the skin of a Rhino. He compared his BBC to my Cleveland. I've opened a can of worms now. :-D :-D :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2013, 04:07:31 AM »
Different angles.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2013, 06:51:54 AM »
My helmet is going to my mate Ashley tomorrow for airbrushing so I figured it was time sit in the chassis to check how I fit and look at clearances. This is a one man build so I don't have guys to help out. I rope in the missus and walk her around the chassis. Take two pics from here, then here and here. OK??? Yes is the answer. I get into the car and I'm balancing on a panel and holding onto the cage. After an eternity she says she's done.
    Before I gave her the phone I took a few pics showing her how to use it. Check before and after.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »
Here are more.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2013, 06:59:06 AM »
I downloaded the pics and they look kinda blurry to me so I call her and show her. She says, nothing wrong, it looks like the car is going fast!!! Cheeky little B.... No lady you were going fast....... to get back to your house work. :-D

Guys, there seems to be enough room for padding and other things but I was happy the cold air connection on top of the helmet is clear of the cage.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2013, 01:43:57 PM »
I collected the Aluminium plate for making the engine plates. Lots of machining required but we'll get stuck in tomorrow. The water pump plate for the motor is an old one that's past it's best so I robbed the front pan gasket channel off it and we'll mill a groove for the front crank seal. It makes a nice change to go to the engineering shop.
 I want to thank Sid for all the help and advice he's been giving me on all aspects of the build. I owe you man. God Bless. :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »
I was just reading what Sparky said about having a "honey do" that put the Widl Weasel on hold. :-D
 I've been mentally preparing myself for a week to start cutting the Carbon/honeycomb panels I'll be using fror making up the driver's cell.
Useless information probably but if you ever have to cut or route cured Carbon fiber use air tools. Carbon fragments and dust destroy electric power tools. If you have to use electric cover all vent holes with tape and make sure the duty cycle is short.
   If you thought Fiberglass could make you itch Carbon will kill ya!. No bull. You'll beg for a bullet.
 I have a "suit" I use. A towel over my head then a hoodie. 3M mask, motocross goggles and gloves that are duct taped over the sleeves. Denims also taped over the boots. I'm in this for the long haul. I'm just about ready to start routing and then MICKEY!!!!! the washing machine....... water all over....... I think it's the pump?.

After the rant, rave and repair everything I touched turned to junk. Back to the washing machine. I turned the thing on it's side and took the back panel off looking for the pump. It's attached to the front panel and you can't get it off from the inside. I somehow missed the cover on the bottom front of the machine that has two quarter turn fasteners that allow for pump servicing and filter removal. 2 hours of foul language and trying to impress on the woman that I don't know Jack about washing machines, toasters, dish washers or boilers. They give you that look. They glance towards the shop indicating that you're building a car but YOU can't solve a small problem on a washing machine. Honey I don't even think I know what I'm doing in the shop either!.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2013, 12:06:52 AM »
Years ago I worked with one of my aunts in a business where we moved bee hives, removed hornet nests, etc.  We had one-piece suits with a face masks that were comfortable and easy to put on take off.  Maybe they make something similar for your work.  It was pleasant to work in them.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2013, 04:30:06 AM »
I can't do the bees either. The doctor said after the last time I can't afford another sting. :

Check the before and after Bo. Do I look motivated?. The second one was for effect. I have a mold for the Darth Vader thing for a welding helmet I made.
 Luke, I'm not your Vader!.  :roll:  Vader is the Dutch for father.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
That's a great look Mike!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »
Bro, I got contaminated. My wrists are itchy as hell. Stage one done. I'll put up with it because I have to. It will be worth it in the end. :lol:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2013, 07:05:13 PM »
He he he he, great look Mike. Sorry for the laugh, I spent a high school summer installing fiberglass insulation in houses. :-P
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2013, 08:19:31 PM »
Mike, have you tried barrier cream where it is the worst?