Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452676 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #825 on: July 12, 2014, 02:04:58 AM »
Neil, thanks so much. :cheers:

Bill, your advice is always great and I do listen believe me.

Frank, thanks man and I do need to apologize on not having finished the wheel discs.
I'm busy on the project along with the Jag dash for Geo and I will get there.
The day job is suffering due to the build. I'm trying my best to just walk past it and get down to doing what pays the bills and finishing what I promised to.
I've always viewed people who have addictions as being a little weak. Not so much anymore.
"Salt Fever" isn't as funny as I thought. We don't even have real salt here and I'm this bad????.

Getting hurt in the shop has become a regular thing. Check the before and after pics. I got nailed on the eyebrow. Cut me to the bone. It's plastic, not that sharp or at eye level.
1/2" lower and I'd be in world of trouble.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #826 on: July 12, 2014, 08:54:17 PM »
In re:  The JCB diesel.  One evening Scott Guthrie, Nancy and I were waiting in line to go into the steakhouse at the Rainbow.. Also in line were a few of the folks from the JCB, and they were discussing the issues they were having getting the dual engines to be close to one another - keeping the boost in the same neighborhood.  Scott mentioned a this and a that to them -- and sure enough, the next day they had changed the intake system per his general suggestion - and things worked much better for them.

Lesson:  Even the "big money" guys have stuff that didn't get worked out at the shop or on the dyno.

Last thing about JCB -- wasn't the push tractor cool?  I wish I had photos of that so the rest of you folks could see what we're talking about. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

« Reply #827 on: July 12, 2014, 09:03:11 PM »

Last thing about JCB -- wasn't the push tractor cool?  I wish I had photos of that so the rest of you folks could see what we're talking about. :-D

Jon.....Just found this.

I also remember seeing many other pics years back when they were on the salt.

Gregg

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #828 on: July 12, 2014, 09:06:52 PM »

Jon.....Just found this.

I also remember seeing many other pics years back when they were on the salt.

Sweet. That push tractor would be just the ticket after a monsoon. No issues getting around the campsite at the bend in the road!

Gregg
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #829 on: July 12, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »
Yep. That Push Tractor was cool. I remember someone had to have a talk to them about running that thing about 70-75 back down the Return Road....(!!!)...

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #830 on: July 12, 2014, 09:17:38 PM »
Jon;

The JCB Fastrac was a really awesome push vehicle. I talked to its driver, Colin Bond, about it and he said they had replaced the R & P in the rear end with a 1:1 gearset. He also said that they were told by JCB not to find out how fast it would go.  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #831 on: July 12, 2014, 09:23:28 PM »
Thanks, Greg.  I wore my SpeedWeek  t-shirt with the JCB car on it just the other day - and that reminded me of the tractor.  One of these days I'll start a topic for photos of the coolest push vehicles.  This tractor, the drag racing semi tractor that pushed Carl Heap's Phoenix, the Burkland car pushed by Gene and his grandson (not all that cool a vehicle, but what a kick for the young lad!), and the Turbinator getting pushed off by an ATV.  What else was there?  Lotsa stuff, for sure.  If you've got photos - let's start a separate topic.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #832 on: July 24, 2014, 01:27:39 AM »
I'm a long ways off securing a push vehicle but that was some cool info.
Thanks guys.

No end in sight on the metal workers strike over here so everything is really slow.
I'm waiting for resin and glass fabric for both liner and work projects but managed to do more shaping and filling.

I'll only be laying up glass above the red line. The area below will be made from honeycomb sandwich panels and bonded to the top when the time comes.
No molds on this body project. Sanding and filling beats making one off molds hands down on cost and time.

I have a melamine board on the big table that I'll use as a mold for the flat panels.
Vacuum bag tacky tape adheres to it really well, it gives a great finish and any excess cured resin is easily removed with a paint scraper.
I'll get the right hand side done first and after using the laser to mark all the horizontal and vertical lines move to the left with my trusty plastic Eastwood profile gauge.

I paid 800 bucks for it in 98 and even back then I thought it was way overpriced but it was actually $80 in your money.
It was probably my best investment. I'd be nowhere without it.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #833 on: July 24, 2014, 01:42:03 AM »
The pics aren't great and the grey areas are a filler made from Epoxy (past use by date) resin, microballoons, cotton flocks and a drop of black pigment.
The pigment allows for visibility. Normally this mix would be white and on Polystyrene not so visible.
When cured it sands very easily but care needs to be taken when transitioning between the hard and softer surfaces.
The palm sander with a 150 disc works for me.

The styrene sheet is the same thickness as a finished honey comb panel so it was a matter of keeping the foam against the chassis while shaping above the red line.
If all things work as planned the finished body should fit nicely.

The body profile changes about halfway along the cockpit area towards the joint where the rear part of the nose box will fit and that's where I used most filler.
Big job but I'm stuck with it and can't go back.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #834 on: July 24, 2014, 01:58:47 AM »
My friend Ashley actually left SA when he was 12 and grew up in Roswell, New Mexico.
His father took them where he could find work.
Ash's skills as an artist became apparent while living there.

He's been back here a long time and never came back with an accent like an MX rider I know that was in Ca for a month. :-D
Ashley is one of the best airbrush artists out there but can't be trusted on following a drawing. The last time he painted the Simpson it came back perfectly done
but with a different design. :evil:

I wanted to go back to the original so to stop his "creativity" we decided to collaborate. He did the prep, base coat and first clear coat.
I'll do the design (flake over Chrome and Gold vinyl) and then back to him for pinstriping and final clear coat.
It has to be "shiny" this time. I won't drive a long car with a factory white helmet. I've waited too long already and I want what I want.  :wink:
It looks better out in the sun and I know it won't be visible under the canopy.

Offline Geo

« Reply #835 on: July 24, 2014, 08:31:11 AM »
Mikey,

Car is taking shape and what a great shape it is! As always I'm learning from your posts on composite construction.

Geo

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #836 on: July 24, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
Mike, nice hat :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #837 on: July 24, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »
    Hope it's an SA2010 or it's time is about up.
      Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline tauruck

« Reply #838 on: July 24, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »
Mikey,

Car is taking shape and what a great shape it is! As always I'm learning from your posts on composite construction.

Geo

Thanks Geoff. I  should have news for you after the weekend. Problem solving at present. :evil: :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #839 on: July 25, 2014, 12:35:32 PM »
I am loving the shape of that body!