Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1457201 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #810 on: July 05, 2014, 01:47:09 AM »
He he he, that's the idea Bo. :-D

On the forum all I get is inspiration and motivation and I have said this so many times by now but it's true.
Here in SA the doubters rule. What a bunch of negative, small minded people.
Comments get back to me via the grapevine and I have a laugh.
If you have big money you're believable, if not you're a nobody.
It's like people here want to drag you down to their low level.

Locally, I try keep the project a secret but when you get sponsorship it gets out a little at a time.
Unavoidable but if you want to race you have to do whatever it takes.
I'm prepared to do that.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left. :-D

This car will run and will do what it needs to.
I have so many components to fit right now, I won't be complaining about being short of material for a long time.

I went out to buy some Anderson plugs yesterday. The ad on the website had photos, tech info and prices. 150 amp=$10. 75 amp=$5.
The cool red ones were 75 amp but postage stamp size. The 150s were right but there was only one part of the two needed. I always thought they came in a set?.
$20 but I was in no mood to argue. I only drove 3 miles and they had stock.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #811 on: July 05, 2014, 08:39:45 AM »
I just bought "just one" Warner off E bay---  turns out it was a Warner "knock off"   but it works and fits
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #812 on: July 07, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Hublot makes a Carbon Fiber watch that costs a gazillion bucks.
They tried knocking that off and I'm happy to report that they failed totally. 8-)

Here are the pics I promised of the steering system I built.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #813 on: July 07, 2014, 05:17:23 PM »
The bolts aren't the right length and some parts need final welding etc.

I can't get the material I need for the steering shafts due to the strike.
There's metal workers union thing going on and the strikers are armed and angry.
And you guys wrote books about the Wild West?. :-D :-D :-D

No bolts, no steering shaft material, no painting at the auto body shop, no powder coating, no Aluminum plate and best of all NO WORKING.

My resin supplier is looking into why his resin wouldn't cure so it's all great here right now. :evil:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #814 on: July 10, 2014, 06:12:23 AM »
Lost another buddy today.

Lou, 2000-2014.
Naughtiest Jack in Africa.
All the birds, lizards, snakes rats and mice are partying right now.
Cheers girl. :cheers:

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #815 on: July 10, 2014, 08:03:44 AM »
  Tough to lose a friend like that , especially after a long relationship.
    Doug  :-( :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #816 on: July 10, 2014, 08:34:50 AM »
Sorry to hear that Mike. I lost Tok, my Alaskan Malamute that I had for eleven years, at the beginning of May. It leaves a huge hole in your life.

Pete

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #817 on: July 10, 2014, 10:15:25 AM »
Sorry for your loss Mike.  I know how it feels all too well.  I can't think of living my life without them though.
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #818 on: July 10, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Mike. Dogs are wonderful, faithful companions but some are really special. RIP, Lou.  :cry:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #819 on: July 10, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »
Sorry to hear that Mike. I lost Tok, my Alaskan Malamute that I had for eleven years, at the beginning of May. It leaves a huge hole in your life.

Pete

Hey Pete, I'm sorry man. I know how you felt about Tok. I've still got four great little friends here so I'm OK.
I feel for you.

Thanks for the kind words guys, we'll be alright.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #820 on: July 10, 2014, 11:56:22 PM »
I've got resin. They gave me 10lt to work with while they test the other batch.

I can get on with the Jag dash now.

Krause & Naimer have supplied e stop switches for the car.

I'm no electrician so I put myself in the hands of the experts.

Mike Banks asked what I wanted and what cables I would be using.
He came up with what you see. The cut off switches are push type and the main not pictured will cut the system via the signal from either cut off.
The main in photo was used as a template for drilling.
I still have the standard race type cut off for the battery etc and when it comes time to wire the car I suppose it will be incorporated as well.

The red switches will be mounted both fore and aft with "push to kill" decals I'm having made.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #821 on: July 11, 2014, 12:39:20 AM »
Not being able to carry on with the day job recently gave me a chance to do some work on the long car.
I fitted the main cut off switch as well as the digital temperature gauge we'll be using to monitor wheel bearings.
The main switch was pretty simple. I drilled five holes.

The digital gauge needed a square opening 45,5mm in size.
My head wasn't on straight due to the loss of the dog and being a little lazy I left the carbon tub in the chassis.
I made a template from masking tape and just went for it.
I first drilled through the Carbon honeycomb with a 1" hole saw to get a starting point and then used the reciprocating saw.
You can't get in from the front side of the bulkhead and going from the driver's side isn't much better but I persevered.
For once being lazy paid off. A couple of passes with a file sealed the deal.
For the first time ever I can say it's perfect. Normally you use the square, the laser and hours of checking and rechecking.
I eyeballed the thing not really caring and it worked out.

I keep getting lucky on this project. I think we love each other. :-D

My phone rang off the hook yesterday with everyone from friends to sponsors calling to tell me the "guy" from the Bloodhound car was on the radio being interviewed.

I got messages like "sorry about these guys coming here with a big buck car to destroy your dream" to "tune into 702, you need to hear the opposition". :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
702 is the radio version of Contrived News Network and I wouldn't tune in if they were handing out money.

Kate, my composites mentor was most concerned of all but I allayed her fears telling her that I was a wannabee hot rodder and Bloodhound was indeed a land based version of Star Wars.
Nothing in common on any level.

Bloodhound got its name from a British guided missile out of the 50s or 60s. The only things guiding me are the salty voices inside my head.  :-D

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #822 on: July 11, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »
Mike;

FYI, the aero work on the Bloodhound missile was done by Ron Ayres, the same fellow responsible for the aero of the JCB diesel streamliner. I had a nice talk with him when JCB was at Bonneville a few years ago. A very nice fellow.

BTW, I shipped the pins to you yesterday; sorry for the delay.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #823 on: July 11, 2014, 11:22:01 AM »
Mike:

Listen to the voices in your head. Sometimes it is best not to know what your are attempting to do is not possible. That's how you end up doing it. :)
Second. the salt or dry lake is the great equalizer. Money is not always the answer, good design, hard work, lady luck AND the nerve to drive what you created can be all you need to set the record you are after. There are plenty of big money projects that are not in the record books.

Always learn something from your build diary.

Thanks,

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #824 on: July 11, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
Wiser words haven't been spoken. We're at the track in Ohio, only spent about 1800 on the car this year but expect to gain around 25 mph to get Amy to about 165. We do on the super cheap,  lots of learning from the wise ones. Endeavor to persevere.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15