Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452725 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #570 on: April 13, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »
Two more pics of my Phoenician boat building exercise. :-D :cheers:

I'm going to be  offline for a while. Got lots of customer work that needs completing.

Later guys and thanks for all the motivation.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #571 on: April 13, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »
Mike:

That white "plastic" in the mockup of the shell -- that's the polystyrene you wanted cut?  Find a laser shop that's within distance to you.  A laser shop that makes trophies and decorations, like ours (Kudos Laser).  I'd have little trouble cutting 10mm (or even the 15mm) stuff for you, and I'd expect that anyone else with a 40- or 50-watt CO2 laser (the common kind) would be able to do it, too.  You could send the parts to us and I'd do it free -- but I expect the shipping charges and time delay might make that a tad on the prohibitive side. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #572 on: April 13, 2014, 06:13:53 PM »
Mike, I love watching your fabrication.  Fantastic skills.   :cheers: Just a thought, what about water-jet cutting for those pieces?
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #573 on: April 13, 2014, 10:39:03 PM »
I have seen mold makers use a hot piano wire to cut foam. (A home made one at that)
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #574 on: April 14, 2014, 08:19:05 AM »
Well, now that you mention piano wire for foam-cutting -- I remember a whole bunch of years ago when I was assembling my first waterbed and wanted it to have insulation under the liner under the mattress.  all I could find was 4" thick foam, so I took an old toaster apart and used the nichrome wire from it to cut the foam.  I was careful to send power to the wire through a variable transformer so I didn't burn out the wire with too much voltage for the length I was using (less that one toaster's worth, that is).  Other than the wire stretched/deformed when hot, so it sagged and needed restringing, it worked just dandy for cutting foam that was in 2-foot wide panels.  I sliced 'em in half -- making 2-foot by 2" instead of by 4".  Worked well -- for the early 1970s. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #575 on: April 14, 2014, 11:41:34 AM »
Jon;

A spring on one end of the Nichrome wire will take up the slack when the wire heats up and it keeps the wire tight.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #576 on: April 15, 2014, 10:24:23 AM »
Here's a request for all you engineers. I'm in deep water and any help will be greatly appreciated.

I need to build a latch system for my canopy that can be closed and opened by the driver and crew.

I have one idea on a system and I think its bad. :-D

Even a simple drawing if that even exists will help.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #577 on: April 15, 2014, 11:38:20 AM »
Put on a door knob from the builders supply.  It can be opened from both sides and you can lock it when you need some privacy.  Anyway, that's the advice from the civil/environmental engineer.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #578 on: April 15, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
   Mike,
  This is like the one that we use on the lakester. There are other hardware suppliers that have them. Maybe also check with some of your friends in Formula 1.   http://www.rjracecars.com/Window-Latches-600019-Prodview.html

Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #579 on: April 15, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
On the Vesco liners we have a two button latch on each side with a cable for the operator / driver to pull to open. the canopy has two locator pins in the front to prevent lift and the two latch's are near the rear corner. I will try to get a couple of pictures when I go out to the shop in a day or so.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #580 on: April 15, 2014, 09:54:32 PM »
Mike;

Hartwell makes some very nice stainless steel aerospace latches; they can be found sometimes on the surplus market.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #581 on: April 16, 2014, 01:33:24 AM »
Thanks guys. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #582 on: April 17, 2014, 06:07:10 AM »
The learning curve. :evil:

When you're having a bad day embrace it because the next one will be better.
Things go from euphoria to depression overnight. You wake up in the morning all fired up for a repeat of this "high" and as you walk into the shop you get a right uppercut from hell. :-)

I need to do stuff to earn an honest living and people think that because I work from home I'm a push over.
This idiot with a race car called a Formula M wants a floor tray for a badly designed car.
The story is that it was designed by real engineers with diplomas hanging on walls like stickers on a Sprint Cup car. :-D :-D :-D

Its all wrong so I try help. It never really worked and eventually it turned out that I had to give him want he wanted for the COOL look.
He kept moving the goal posts after the part was made to an agreed design.
Too long and too annoying a process and not being a rip off artist I put up with his Subaru.

He never collected the car as agreed and has not answered my emails to collect his junk.
The thing is sitting in front of my shop on stands without wheels.
He will only collect it when he comes back from his long weekend break at the ocean.

We can't park cars inside and I've had enough. I just mailed him a nice fat 2 grand addition to what he owes. That should make his weekend as cool as mine. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Check out the CAR!!!!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #583 on: April 17, 2014, 06:23:50 AM »
That was the depression and here's my euphoria.

The canopy plug is coming along beautifully.

I'm starting to see a shape in there somewhere.

I'll only be utilizing the top 60% of the shape but it just looks right.

The Phoenician boat building process works. :wink:

I found a company up the road that sells a Styrofoam adhesive for $20/gallon so I'll be getting a delivery on Tuesday.

That will cut the curing time over the Epoxy paste by 8 hours.

She's looking good and I'm excited now.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #584 on: April 17, 2014, 06:26:28 AM »
I'll be doing the left side next but I should wait for Tuesday and the new adhesive. :evil:

Difficult decision. I'm on a roll.